How many AVIs on one DVD?

I have 100’s AVI video files i want to convert to DVD to watch on TV

I’m using ConvertXto DVD which will automatically fit as many files as i like on one DVD, since AVI is compressed and lot of the quality is gone forever, I see little point in just putting one on DVD. S i’m wondering how many it is safe to put on DVD before even these poor qual AVI start to degrade even further

Using very, very crude estimate a DVD hold 4.7 gig divided by size of avi 350 meg = 13+ avi files

Seems like a lot - what you think?

If you are just going to put the avi files onto the dvds as data, then you can fit about 12 350mb avi files (real target size on a blank dvd is ~4.3 gb).

Many dvd players can playback avi files that are burned to a disk in this manner. You need to make sure that your player has this capability. The most compatible codecs used would be xvid or divx in an avi container file.

If you are going to convert the avi files to actual dvd-video format, you won’t be able to fit nearly as many on the dvd. This is because the mpeg2 codec used in dvd video is simply not as efficient at compression as divx or xvid. I normally try to get the best quality possible if I’m going to all the trouble to convert, so I don’t put more than 3 on a disk.

You can also use a bitrate calculator to estimate how many to put on the dvd. Here is an online calculator at videohelp.com: http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
Enter the running time of the combined video. Set the type to DVD. Vary the time, and watch the bitrate change. With mpeg2, I don’t like to go below 4000kbps, but that isn’t a hard and fast rule. You can get by with two and a half hours of video on the disk.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2295855]…If you are going to convert the avi files to actual dvd-video format, you won’t be able to fit nearly as many on the dvd. This is because the mpeg2 codec used in dvd video is simply not as efficient at compression as divx or xvid. I normally try to get the best quality possible if I’m going to all the trouble to convert, so I don’t put more than 3 on a disk…[/QUOTE]

They are being converted to DVD format - strangely enough i already choose 3 on a disc

I’ll have see what these look like then a look at the calculator

Thanks

Depends, if it is TV Episodes, and your using single layer media, I would say 2 or 3, but typically with most 700MB AVI files, Nero reports back the out put file quality will be Good. ConvertXtoDVD will say Average. So my rule of thumb is usually 1 AVI per disc because your doing the least compression possible to fit it on a DVD.

[QUOTE=Xplorer4x4;2296344]…ConvertXtoDVD will say Average. …[/QUOTE]

Hi - I’ve never noticed any report from CX2D

Where can I look - because that would ideal way for me to check quality?

I had it in the back of my head that CX2D would also encode to DVD without any compression - and i had just chosen ‘encode to fit’

In CX2D V3, its just to the left of the convert button. Theres a stop light and it will light up, red, yellow and green.

As for the compression, its possible, just as it is any other similar app. It all depends on the run time of the video. Put a 43 min video on a DVD and there will be no compression, but if you put a 2 hour video on there, it has to be compressed. A disc can hold up to 120 min of video with out compressing it, if memorey serves me right. You can fit more then 120min but anything over will be compressed.