How long till burned dvd deteriorates

vbimport

Was just wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for a dvd back-up to deteriorate. 3 yrs, 5yrs, 6yrs. Just wanted to know because my back-ups from 3 yrs ago still work. I am new to posting but have been reading posts since 2005 and have not been able to find a post like this.

if your using stuff like Verbatim (16x cert DVD+R… burned @ 8x) or Taiyo Yuden (8x Cert -/+R’s burn @ 8x) … i think it’s a pretty safe bet that they will last 10+ years (assuming you dont happen to get a bad batch etc) … if not much more from peoples scans i have seen from a few years back that show very little to no degradation.

thanks NBR I use TY blanks now but in the beginning I used the cheapest ones on sale. I will keep an eye on those. I always burn at 4x even if they say I can burn faster. Thanks again

[QUOTE=GJ;2005166]thanks NBR I use TY blanks now but in the beginning I used the cheapest ones on sale. I will keep an eye on those. I always burn at 4x even if they say I can burn faster. Thanks again[/QUOTE]

if u got a 8x cert disc or especially 16x cert… u ‘might’ be actually getting worse quality burns when burning @ 4x on a 16x cert disc.

if you got a good scanning drive like lite-on etc… you can run a disc quality check with kprobe and see how good the burns are etc. and then burn @ 8x and compare.

also, (atleast in USA) i think verbatim is overall better than ty just cause you can usually get Verbatim noticeably cheaper vs TY and there quality is about the same give or take a hair.

in general … if u got 8x cert discs or higher, 8x is usually the sweet spot for burning in general.

sure I will give it a try

[QUOTE=GJ;2005096]Was just wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for a dvd back-up to deteriorate. 3 yrs, 5yrs, 6yrs.[/QUOTE]Where is my crystal ball again? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously now, there is not answer to that question. Different makes of discs degrade at different rates; the way they have been burnt impacts the degradation rate; heat, light, humidity impact the degradation rate; storing habits and handling impact the degradation rates… there are simply too many factors!

I survey my own DVDR collection since 2005. Some of my discs seem to not deteriorate at all, I mean that after three years the scans show no significant variation, if any. Some others have died after only a couple of months (thankfully this was limited to a couple of MIDs). Many discs are somewhere between these extremes.

That is correct. There are many burners that won’t pull off correct @4X burns with 16X rated media. @8X is faaaaar safer than @4X, and most of the time gets the best out of 16X rated media whatever the burner. Sometimes the sweet spot is @6X or @12X, but I consider @8X the best bet in almost all situations. If you don’t scan your burns, stick with @8X. :iagree: