How Long Should Trimming Take on a Solid State Drive?

vbimport

Can someone please tell me how long should trimming on a solid state drive take? The reason why I am asking is because it takes around 20 seconds whenever Windows starts trimming both of my SSDs. However, after Windows has completed the trimming of both of my SSDs, the HDD/SSD LED remains on for about 2 minutes! Is this normal?

Yes, completely normal.

What you have to keep in mind is. This is only the TRIM commands being sent to the SSD. The SSD controller will decide when the BLOCKS are cleaned, and this will vary greatly depending one which controller is inside SSD.

Example: An SSD with the Sandforce controller may take hours to actually carry out the NAND block cleaning, whilst the Barefoot 3 controller inside the OCZ Vector series will clean the NAND blocks very quickly, and this is why the Vector is able to maintain its writing performance extremely well.

How is the Marvell controller for this (Sandisk Ultra II)

[QUOTE=Matth;2768389]How is the Marvell controller for this (Sandisk Ultra II)[/QUOTE]From my limited experience with Marvell SSD controllers, it is pretty good.

Thanks for the reply Dee. You said:

“Example: An SSD with the Sandforce controller may take hours to actually carry out the NAND block cleaning, whilst the Barefoot 3 controller inside the OCZ Vector series will clean the NAND blocks very quickly, and this is why the Vector is able to maintain its writing performance extremely well.”

OK, but what about the Samsung 850 and 950 Pro Series SSDs that you have reviewed? Are they also as quick in cleaning the NAND blocks as the Barefoot 3 controller inside the OCZ Vector series that you mentioned?

The Samsung are not as fast at cleaning the NAND compared to the Barefoot 3, but they are still very effective at keeping the NAND clean and write speeds up.

Here is a comparison graph, which shows sustained performance under a heavy workload.

Dee,

Please excuse my ignorance, but my Kingston SSD recently went down in health from 100% to 99% after about 20 terabytes of writes. Does this mean that when it goes down again from 99% health to 98% health another 20 terabytes would have been written to the SSD or are there other things that have to be taken into consideration and not just write endurance when measuring the life expectancy of a Solid State Drive?

There are other factors, such as the block size written, but assuming you continue to use your PC as you have been, then yes, roughly another 20TB before it drops to 98%.