How long should it take to burn a DVD?

I’m burning a DVD and it’s encoding the movie now at regular speed. What is wrong?

Hi Mekovach and welcome to the forums. :flower:

That’s kind of hard to answer as there are so many variables.

Encoding can take a lot longer than burning depending on the software used, the type of encoding you’re doing, and most importantly how fast your hardware is.

Burn speed also varies depending on the rated speed of the media, the software you use, how full the disc is, whether the disc is dual or single layer, the writing mode of the drive, whether or not you have verification enabled, and whether or not you want to optimise burn quality.

Here’s a rough guide to burning speeds for the average modern PC.

Generally speaking for maximum burn quality I find burning at half the rated speed of the disc works best. So I normally buy good quality 16x media (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden) and burn at 8x.

Wombler

One thing to add here is that slimline drives usually burn much slower at a given speed - compared to the values in Wombler’s table.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2665453]One thing to add here is that slimline drives usually burn much slower at a given speed - compared to the values in Wombler’s table.[/QUOTE]

Darn there’s always something extra isn’t there. :bigsmile:

Thanks for adding that Liggy.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2665429]Hi Mekovach and welcome to the forums. :flower:

That’s kind of hard to answer as there are so many variables.

Encoding can take a lot longer than burning depending on the software used, the type of encoding you’re doing, and most importantly how fast your hardware is.

Burn speed also varies depending on the rated speed of the media, the software you use, how full the disc is, whether the disc is dual or single layer, the writing mode of the drive, whether or not you have verification enabled, and whether or not you want to optimise burn quality.

Here’s a rough guide to burning speeds for the average modern PC.

Generally speaking for maximum burn quality I find burning at half the rated speed of the disc works best. So I normally buy good quality 16x media (Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden) and burn at 8x.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks Wombler for the info. That helps a lot. This is my first burning experience. In your opinion, is Roxio Easy VHS to DVD a particularly slow DVD burning program?

[QUOTE=Mekovach;2665537]Thanks Wombler for the info. That helps a lot. This is my first burning experience. In your opinion, is Roxio Easy VHS to DVD a particularly slow DVD burning program?[/QUOTE]

If you’re converting from VHS then yes this can be very slow because of the time it takes to import and process the video.

I’ve done stuff in the past converting VHS camcorder footage to DVD and remember it being very time consuming as the tapes had to be imported at normal playback speed.

In relation to burning the final DVD, most programs are pretty much identical with regard to the overall time taken at a particular burn speed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The software for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD didn’t work with my Vista OS & it probably has the same problem with Windows7 .
It would never completely install.
What I finally figured out was to copy the whole install disc to my hard drive .
Copy the Drivers folder ,
I didn’t make notes but I also have an Installed drivers folder & VIDEOCAP_USB folder . I copied from the copy of the disc. I then removed the copy of the disc so none of it’s files would be on my OS.
I think you just have to run the Video Capture USB.msi .
You should find both thes devices in Device Manager even though they are the same device . In the driver Properties/Driver Details I have these drivers :
Roxio Video Capture USB DRIVERS
C:\Windows\emMON.exe
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\BdaSup.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\emBDA.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\emOEM.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\merlinC.rom
C:\Windows\system32\emPRP.ax

USBÂ 2861Â Device
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBAUDIO.sys
C:\Windows\system32\SysFxUI.dll
C:\Windows\system32\WMALFXGFXDSP.dll
The capture card works & I don’t have the Roxio capture program installed.
I use other software to do the capture.
I use ImgBurn to do the burn from the capture.

[QUOTE=Mekovach;2665423]I’m burning a DVD and it’s encoding the movie now at regular speed. What is wrong?[/QUOTE]

Converting and burning are [B]2 different[/B] animals!