How long is it supposed to

How long is it supposed to take to burn a 700MB with 40x speed??

I just bought a new external Lite-ON LTR 52327S 52x32x52

http://www.coolerexpress.com/litusb20excd1.html

So now I am testing and it takes 14 mins to burn a 700MB data CD with 40x speed. I have never had a fast burner before and I dont know … but I had an HP 4x and with 4x it took me 21 mins to burn a 700MB data CD. Now mathematically – it just does not make sense to take 14 mins (THAT LONG ?) to burn with 40x …

Is it possible that my burner is defect ???

Or is it that my hard drive is slow and cannot process the data that fast ?? But , on the other hand… Whn I did a data verification with 40x speed for the just -burnt CD it took exaclty the same time !!! ANd while verifying its not reading from the harddrive, but its readin in the CDRW ??? So obviously theres something wrong … or …just thats normal ???

Please if anybody tell me whats the deal … cuz I am really freakin out – spent my bucks for a defect burner ???

Thanks in advance !!!

700MB takes about 3:20 at 40x CAV.
Did you get around to installing your USB-2 drivers yet?
Check to see they are functioning, that’s your trouble.

OK. i did the Nero hack/ edited the registry so that it shows actual speed and it shows that I am actually burning with 5.2-6.0 speed :((((((((

I have a usb2 Cd in the package but when I tried to update the driver and pointed it to my usb install CD – it said it did not find a better driver … so… it did not install anything …

BUt anyway ?? cant I burn fast w/ usb1 drivers … OK. let me check again whats on the CD…

any other suggestions ???

thanks!

USB-1 will not exceed 6x.
Look in Device Manager under the USB controllers, and along with everything else you have to see “Enhanced PCI to USB host controller” or words to that effect. Without this, you do not have USB-2 working. The CD should run it’s own install program, but you’ll have to read the manual. Or download the latest driver from the card’s maker. You do have a USB-2 card installed, right?

You do have a USB-2 card installed, right? [/B]

Uhhh… that might be the problem … I have a laptop … and I have not installed anything additionally. So I guess I need a USB 2 card ? Is it something I slide where I have my ethernet card (in one of those slots) ? If not there … I dont see where else …

Damn … I dont think my laptop has built in USB 2…

Man… what do I need to buy (what kinda usb 2 card for my laptop ? ( a link here would be good) I am really new and unaware of that USB 2 stuff… never though it could be so complicated. Whats the cheapest I can buy for my laptop that would do the job?

Well make sure you really do not have a USB-2 complaint machine first. Then go get a PCMCIA card (like the ethernet card) and you’re good to go. The “enhanced” USB controller in device manager is the key, got to be there.

rdgrimes,

Thanks a lot, dude. U’ve been very responsive! Yeah, isn’t it funny when u have not dealt w/ something ( i look like a total dummy) Anyway. I am looking at some cards on pricewatch and eventually will get it within 2 weeks (all that stuff come all the way from Cali, man. And I am in MD)

cheers.

BTW am I gonna run into any compatibility issues?/ Is there a particular brand I have to look for that will suit my LiteON. Or even a House Brand would do?

Originally posted by KurtCocain
BTW am I gonna run into any compatibility issues?/ Is there a particular brand I have to look for that will suit my LiteON. Or even a House Brand would do?

Sure, as long as your Windows can use this card (and that shouldn’t be too hard if you’re running a modern Windows verion) there shouldn’t absolutely be no problem with this combination (although I know of certain combinations that don’t work, but those are some pretty specific troublemakers…).

Well I am running XP … so I should not have any problems.

I wouldn’t buy stuff like that on pricewatch. The markup on stuff like that isn’t much so you won’t find the prices vary that much. I would say go to a local Best Buy and pick one up there. They will all work as long as you get the card for the laptop. I doubt you will pay even $30 for just a usb2 pcmcia card. I said best Buy because I work there, but any place would work.

Adam

Originally posted by aharvey
[B]I wouldn’t buy stuff like that on pricewatch. The markup on stuff like that isn’t much so you won’t find the prices vary that much. I would say go to a local Best Buy and pick one up there. They will all work as long as you get the card for the laptop. I doubt you will pay even $30 for just a usb2 pcmcia card. I said best Buy because I work there, but any place would work.

Adam [/B]

I cant agree with that , man. :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384532528&skuId=4732436&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01078

Look what bestbuy has – $55 – I am not spending that much on a card , dude. thats almost the money I spent for my burner. I dont think any local store has it for as low as $20, enven for $30. Radioshack (cheap bastards) sell them for like $40. Why pay double, when I can get it for 20 ? I am a college student – so dont have too much money to spend.