How Long Have You Been Gaming?

Well, I’ve been gaming since the days of the Commodore VIC-20 – or maybe a little before that – & C64. The first computer I played video games on was the CV-20 way back in 1980…so all in all, I’ve been gaming for well over 30yrs.

I’ve included a poll with this post, so be honest with your answers.

I stopped way back at the C64 days took up to much time.

My (dad’s) first computer:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2677801]My (dad’s) first computer:

[/QUOTE]

Heh heh heh… I first started with the one before that, a Sinclair ZX-81.

So that’s 30+ years for me. :eek:

[B]Wombler[/B]

The thread is about gaming, not how long you’ve been using computers…

[QUOTE=mlauzon;2677865]The thread is about gaming, not how long you’ve been using computers…[/QUOTE]

I think you need to read more between the lines here, as those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. :wink:

I started playing and ended up writing games as a programming exercise 30+ years ago on the Sinclair ZX-81.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=mlauzon;2677865]The thread is about gaming, not how long you’ve been using computers…[/QUOTE]Take an educated guess what my first “gaming computer” was :bigsmile:

I made my first (and last) game on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum as well. It was a very horrible vertical space shooter. The BASIC programming language on that thing was awesome.

Does playing Asteroids and Space Invaders in the pub count?

If so I’ve been gaming for more than 30 years :slight_smile:

Regds, JR

I used to play arcade games all the time.

Galaxians was always one of my favourites. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2677977]Does playing Asteroids and Space Invaders in the pub count?
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2677987]I used to play arcade games all the time.
[/QUOTE]

+1 :bigsmile:

Aside from the arcade games, the first games I came across were Frogger and Keystone Kops - I was in hospital for a week when I was 10, and they had these there. Still miss those. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2678022]+1 :bigsmile:

Aside from the arcade games, the first games I came across were Frogger and Keystone Kops - I was in hospital for a week when I was 10, and they had these there. Still miss those. :)[/QUOTE]

This’ll keep you out of mischief for a while! :bigsmile:

Don’t remember Keystone Kops myself.

I must be too young for that one, LOL! :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2677856]Heh heh heh… I first started with the one before that, a Sinclair ZX-81.[/QUOTE] Damn, you had to work with 16 Kilobytes. I had an amazing 48 Kilobytes of workspace. Now does that make you a hipster or are we both just old farts? :bigsmile:

Yes young folk, thats kilobytes. 48 of them. It took more than 5 minutes to load a game. You youngsters with your 4 TeraByte harddisks faster than the speed of light have no idea how amazing your stuff is. Now get off my lawn!

Oh, and to stay on topic: Here’s SkiFree.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2678082]Damn, you had to work with 16 Kilobytes. I had an amazing 48 Kilobytes of workspace. Now does that make you a hipster or are we both just old farts? :bigsmile:

Yes young folk, thats kilobytes. 48 of them. It took more than 5 minutes to load a game. You youngsters with your 4 TeraByte harddisks faster than the speed of light have no idea how amazing your stuff is. Now get off my lawn!

Oh, and to stay on topic: Here’s SkiFree.[/QUOTE]

I think I’m rapidly entering the old fart zone TBH. :bigsmile:

Actually the ZX-81 only had 1KB of RAM.

I did splash out though on the massive 16KB RAM pack after I found 1KB a bit limiting for games. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2678047]This’ll keep you out of mischief for a while! :bigsmile:

Don’t remember Keystone Kops myself.

I must be too young for that one, LOL! :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Ooooooh, fangs very much, I’m well away now :flower:

Haha, cheeky ;)…I was trying to remember (when I poseted the above) the system the games ran on, and I’m 99% sure it was the Atari 2600, as we got one at home soon after :slight_smile:

Went through sooooo many joysticks :eek:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2678102]I think I’m rapidly entering the old fart zone TBH. :bigsmile:

Actually the ZX-81 only had 1KB of RAM.[/quote] You had the “solder it yourself” model or the pre-fab touch screen thingy?

I did splash out though on the massive 16KB RAM pack after I found 1KB a bit limiting for games. :slight_smile:
Must have cost you a fortune!

Oh, and to stay on topic: Play any NES game.

There were no touch screens back in those days. :bigsmile:

I wasn’t very experienced at the time so I went for the preassembled version then bought the “massive 16KB RAM pack” to experiment with larger programs and games.

By the time I moved on to the ZX Spectrum I got the soldering iron out (quite literally) and upgraded it myself. :slight_smile:

The Spectrum was a big leap games wise and crazy though it seems I remember marvelling at the colour graphics. :eek::bigsmile:

Wombler

[QUOTE=Wombler;2678157]There were no touch screens back in those days. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE] Ah sorry. I meant the touch tip keys. Not screens of course :slight_smile:

We first had this one with the default keyboard:

Later on we had this one:

Then we upgraded to this:

This was our printer:

We also had the ZX Printer with its awesome thermal paper. If you held your print next to a lightbulb it went up into flames! :slight_smile:

Years later we bought an Intel 286 with 256 color VGA and a 40MB harddisk. :slight_smile: