How long does a DVD last?

yes,
I heard and read that a home-burned DVD is very easily subjected to deteriorating by laser beam after several times it is used.
Does this problem actually affect DVD’s and back ups? Or is it just a matter of how you store them?
The issue should not affect original (printed) DVD neither very expensive DVD sold for authoring.
This would make a non sense our job of backing up our original copies of movies.
Bye

I’m sorry, I didn’t think was a difficult question!

Maybe it’s because no-one can answer your question?

CD-R longevity is still a pretty unknown issue & they’ve been in use since 1991!

Originally posted by taccato
yes,
I heard and read that a home-burned DVD is very easily subjected to deteriorating by laser beam after several times it is used.
Does this problem actually affect DVD’s and back ups? Or is it just a matter of how you store them?
The issue should not affect original (printed) DVD neither very expensive DVD sold for authoring.
This would make a non sense our job of backing up our original copies of movies.
Bye

If that were true, the likes of all the major manufacturers and retailers should open themselves to lawsuits as claims for many years trouble free use, backup all your precious data, etc, which would be worthless.

TY dvdr media I believe is claimed to give many, many years of storage and I believe svp has such a claim on their TY (That’s) info pane some months back.

What would be the point of paying hundreds of pounds for hardware, media and s/w if your precious data would be lost a few times after reading it? This is even more true with the 20GB+ media heralded to be around the corner.

It may not last 10+ years, but the major manufacturers indicated much greater life than this.