How long do burners last? In the dvd days, a friend said they're only good for about 200 discs

Never wasted much time with Audio-CD-ripping :wink:

But the good thing is you could use a good MP3-codec and a good bitrate. Some ppl use 128kbit CBR :\

Nowadays I couldn’t even be bothered anymore with encoding music to mp3. The few times I do rip some audio cds on the computer, I just leave them in the *.wav file format (ie. 16 bit stereo with 44.1 kHz sampling with no compression at all). If I don’t listen to these *.wav files often, I end up deleting them shortly thereafter.

Most of the time music doesn’t sound very good on my tiny cheapo computer speakers. For example, most of my Iron Maiden and Metallica cds sound really bad on them. So I end up playing these cds on my large standalone stereo system, which sounds a lot better than on the computer.

When it comes to movie dvd discs, I only really rip dvds so that I can play many episodes/movies one after another on a computer conntected to my large tv screen in the background when I’m at home.

When it comes to tv shows, it gets somewhat annoying having to change discs after every four or five episodes.

For lousy sci-fi or action movies where I don’t have to pay close attention to scene/dialog details, it is easier to just let multiple movies play one another another on the computer in the background, than having to change discs between movies.

As far as I’m concerned, tv shows and movies are largely “background noise” when I’m at home. One day I’ll probably eventually move on to streaming.

I never thought to keep track, but if I add up the CD-R’s, DVD-R’s, and BD-R’s I have used up from purchases over the years since I bought my Pioneer BDR-208D I have well exceeded 200 burns, and I am using them for data files, backups, etc. Perhaps your friend was referring to Movies burned to DVD-R or just low quality burners. My only problem with the 208 is I am going to have to replace the drawer belt sometime soon.

Hell, if I only got 200 burns that would be a crap burner as while I don’t know exactly how many burns I got I am sure some of my burners are beyond that figure by a comfortable amount.

I basically have the following burners…

-HP CD Burner 8x4x32x - mfg date May 2000 (this does not like CD-RW discs but seems okay with CD-R the last I knew)
-Liteon 24102b CD-RW (IDE) - Mfg Date Dec 2001
-Liteon 1673s DVD (IDE) - Mfg date March 2005
-Liteon iHAS-324b - Mfg date May 2011 (this has special firmware on it for burning XBox360 backups but I have not used it much in years now)

those are currently not inside of my PC as I got a Sony Optiarc 7240s which is installed inside my main PC which, without checking, I would guess is roughly 2009 mfg date. this likely has more use than the iHAS-324B drive listed above.

with that said… I kind of assume the Liteon 24102b and the 1673s have the most use of those drives (with the 7240s in my 3rd spot) and both still work great as I just use them once in a while connected to a external adapter that converts to USB 3 interface.

for lossy audio… AAC (Apple using QAAC with Foobar2000) or Opus is where it’s at. MP3 is simply outdated given it requires noticeably more bit rate to achieve a certain level of quality.

plus, unless for some rare reason you device requires CBR, there is no reason to use CBR over the default VBR. some people use 320kbps CBR which is a waste of storage space as when it comes to MP3, v2 (190kbps) or v0 (245kbps) should be pretty safe and helps cut back on wasted space. but AAC or Opus @ 96kbps or 128kbps (tops) is all that’s needed for the majority of people as Opus is rated ‘very close to transparency’ at 128kbps and even 96kbps is ‘approaching transparency’ as I basically see 96kbps as the sweet spot when it comes to AAC/Opus since it’s quite efficient on bit rate and still offers quality sound. hell, with Opus I think going as low as 64kbps is usable for music although with AAC I would avoid going lower than 96kbps. for speech, with Opus, I can go as low as 13kbps with v1.3RC (with v1.2.1 I would avoid going lower than 14kbps).

basically AAC @ 96kbps beats MP3 (LAME) at noticeably higher bit rates and Opus is even better than AAC @ 96kbps based on hydrogenaud.io listening tests. plus, when someone is listening to music on-the-go with your typical set of headphones I am confident 96kbps is a solid all around choice for sound quality vs storage space as I think going beyond 128kbps with AAC/Opus is largely a waste of storage space where as with MP3, 128kbps (or so) is about the minimum I would consider using.

so unless someone must use MP3, it’s simply not worth using at this point in time.