How long do burned CD-Rs and CD-RWs last?

:confused: How long do burned CD-Rs and CD-RWs last?

I often wondered this … and just this morning I received this article from CNET… quite interesting I must say :smiley:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10149-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=152618&messageID=1698511&tag=nl.e497

They last about 80 minutes as an audio CD. Or longer or shorter. Depends…
Or they last untill you lose them. Like I often do.
Hope this answers your question.

Or if you set the player on “Repeat”, they will last indefinitely - or at least until your neighbours hunt you down and kill you for playing The Best of Bagpipes for 72 hours straight! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just wondering… did we understand the question correctly?! :wink:

I don’t know about the “we” but I don’t understand a lot of the questions asked here. By the way, I just love “The Best of Bagpipes”. It’s right up there with “Accordian Polka Fever” by Eddie Yankovick!

I have a CD of Christmas carols sung in english by Korean children. The pronunciation is atrocious. I got it free when I bought some blank video tapes. Could I add it to your collection? :wink:

DrageMester :
As to whether we understood the original question, I’m not sure I understand what you mean; as far as I am concerned, CD-Rs/RWs last as long as the plastic they are made of lasts, which is what, 100 years? Whether they can be read back after that and whether the data you read back is the same thing you wrote on it in the first place, is another question :wink:

[QUOTE=karangguni]I have a CD of Christmas carols sung in english by Korean children. The pronunciation is atrocious. I got it free when I bought some blank video tapes. Could I add it to your collection? :wink:

[QUOTE]

If you think that’s bad you should hear me rap in Korean on my new cd “Pusan Posse”! I’d send you a copy but the RIAA’s on my ass already.

:bow: The original forum post linked to a “technical” explanation and some realistic answers to the longevity of actual CD or DVD media. Remember the floppy disks of the past that were supposed to last “forever”… but five years later they were “bad and unreadable”… well this “link” was a serious discussion on CNET by professionals to try to explain things like “poor burns” on DVDR’s that produce media that may be readable NOW but quickly deteriorate over time.

:confused: I thought this was a “technical” forum… as ALL the other threads I responded to or started were treated with some degree of “professionalism” instead of being turned into some misunderstood “joke” :a …

florida_wen, you’re taking this too seriously.

There has to be room for some kidding around once in a while, even in a technical forum like this - or maybe especially in a technical forum like this!

Your question about how long CD-R and CD-RW media will last is asked again and again, and nobody can give you a more precise answer than “it depends”.

It depends on the quality of the media, how well it was burned, how you handle it, how you store it, what temperature, humidity and light it is exposed to and so on.

I have CD-R media burned in 1998-99 that show absolutely no deterioration today. I also have some CD-R media that died in a couple of years due to the labels I put on them. People in south-east asia are reporting degradation of DVD media in a few months due to high humidity combined with high temperature.

All tests regarding the longevity of optical media are performed using a simulated accelerated aging environment. Nobody has in their possession a time machine in which to travel a hundred years into the future to see, if current optical media is still readable at that time… or if they do have such a time machine, they’re not going to tell us about it! :wink:

:doh: Yes, I am sorry for being a bit “too serious”… This IS a great forum and lots of the people on here are quite technical and knowledgeable and one DOES have to “let go” every once in a while and have fun… :bigsmile:

I have two Sony 400 disc CD-Changers that each are well over 80% full… one with jazz, the other rock and blues !!
I put all the original CD’s in these and make “dupes” for our vehicles. I know that CD’s sitting in a hot vehicle in the Florida sun can easily get damaged, but being in field service, I seldom have the luxury to select the ideal parking spot :frowning: . I actually noticed some “chaulking” (white, powdery residue) on so many of my original CD’s (in the home). We keep the A.C. at normal levels but still I’m quite puzzled as what is the cause of this “cloudy covering” ??

Again, sorry for being such a “hard-azz” :cop: !!

No I won’t! :disagree:

Ooooops :eek:

:bigsmile: …whistling… :bigsmile:

Again, sorry for being such a “hard-azz” !!
Don’t be :cool: - we’ve seen much worse, and I understand you were upset for not having any “real” reply.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Might not actually be that bad a thing. It depends on where the cartridge reader for your vehicle is located. In some sound systems, the cartridge reader is in the head unit itself. Others have it under a seat, or in the boot. I actually believe that if the cartridge reader is in the boot, it is slightly better protected from the elements. It’s usually far away from the engine for one thing and the boot is closed, so there is some shelter from heat. Of course, if you leave the car in the hot sun for a few hours, the boot will heat up too.

This is something I have never seen before. How are these discs stored? In a CD changer?

:bigsmile: Our Acura MDX as well as the Honda CR-V have the O.E.M. CD-Changer “in-dash”… the '00 Acura TL that I recently sold had a factory installed CD-Changer that was mounted in trunk… actually made by Pioneer and used 6-disc “magazines” (always had a couple extra all loaded up and ready).
Presently, in addition to frequent selection changes I always bring a few “extra” CD’s as listening to the same six over and over gets boring. I store these in jewel cases in a zipped up CD case and put them in the “coolest” spot I can find, like under a sweatshirt in the rear seat floor.
Even though I am a Computer Engineer I worked for about a year (in Connecticut… jobs real tough to find) as a Service Manager for a Chrysler Dealership (yes I’m an old gearhead :iagree: ) and you would not believe the sloppy, piggish and deplorable ways some customers kept their CD’s… BARE CD’S ON THE FLOOR… IN THE GRIT AND GRIME or rattling around the consoles, totally unprotected with coffee stains on them… yuck :Z … but the real mind blower (and made very interesting shop-talk) was this one woman who dropped off her Mini-Van and had an open box of Monstat 7 (with applicator outside the box) RIGHT ON THE PASSENGER’S SEAT along with an open box of Tampons :Z I AM NOT JOKING !! The stuff I saw and the way some vehicles “stunk” really, really bad…:o

Sorry… got off topic…

:eek: I keep all the “original” CD’s in the two Sony CD Changers… a carousel type, each holding 400 CD’s max. These have always been in the living room/family room of our air condition homes. We are NON-Smokers, don’t have a fireplace, don’t burn incense, don’t have a Jenn-Aire stove. The “haze” looks like the film that appears on the inside of vehicle windshields and windows… and that is due to “outgassing” of the plastics in the interior from what they claim !!