How is the SuperDrive in the Mac Mini?

Anyone know how good the SuperDrive in the Mac Mini is for burning and reading?

What about scanning? If I get a Mac Mini, I will dual boot with Windows, and try to run CD-DVD Speed, if that is possible.

If I’m not mistaken the Mac Mini drive is similar to a slim laptop drive. If it is, then it will be incapable of scanning discs and will provide only decent to mediocre burns and marginal reading speeds (~8x) as compared to a real half-height desktop 5.25" DVD writer.

If you want complete CD/DVD Speed functionality then I would suggest a LiteOn drive (something like an iHAS 22/24x) in an external enclosure with USB connectivity for maximum compatibility with VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

PS. I also run a Mac (Pro). :slight_smile: I have most of my drives in USB/eSATA enclosures for VMWare Fusion. :slight_smile:

The new MCE 8X DVD±R/RW “[I]SuperDrive[/I]” upgrade with both Double AND Dual Layer Support for the [I]Mac mini[/I] allows users to author professional-quality DVDs as [B].[/B]

[QUOTE=mamun12;2282344]The new MCE 8X DVD±R/RW “[I]SuperDrive[/I]” upgrade with both Double AND Dual Layer Support for the [I]Mac mini[/I] allows users to author professional-quality DVDs as [B].[/B][/QUOTE]

I’d love to see some quality tests of that drive since I don’t trust any slim optical drive… only comprehensive tests will prove it really does professional-quality burns. :slight_smile: :flower:

You just replied to a clueless spammer :wink:

Yes, I just realized that after seeing a few more senseless replies from the same “user” over at the Living Room. :doh: :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=sl_dvd;2281860]Anyone know how good the SuperDrive in the Mac Mini is for burning and reading?

What about scanning? If I get a Mac Mini, I will dual boot with Windows, and try to run CD-DVD Speed, if that is possible.[/QUOTE]

WHICH Mac mini?

The older ones had Matshita (IIRC) drives, the newer ones have Pioneer DVR TS 08.
Visit http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45298