How is the NEC ND-2500A at CD burning?

vbimport

I’ve heard many great things about this drive regarding DVD burning, but according to the CDFreaks review, it had a few weakspots because it doesn’t support “Correct EFM encoding of regular bit patterns” and it didn’t do too well in Safedisc and Securom tests. Would it just make sense to pair this drive with some kind of Lite-On CDRW? Any suggestions?

I have it paired with my LiteOn 48x CDRW, works pretty damn well if you ask me…:bigsmile:
However, why don’t you just try the NEC alone first and if it turns out not to be good enough, you can always order yourself a nice little LiteOn 52x CDRW drive.

Depends on how much protected CD copying you do.

I’ve backed up business apps with it and a few older games that were starting to show some wear, but nothing with uber-new data locks like SafeDisc or audio stuff like Cactus Datashield. What CD copying I have done with it has worked fine.

I don’t rip audio CD’s, so that’s not an issue for me.

Works great for burning DVD’s, with DVD Shrink(fantastic & free) at 4x speed on Princo disks. I bought it mainly for the DVD functions.

I have copied a music CD with Nero 6 at 32x, no problems, but I don’t know what if any copy protection it had on it.

My concern is that it says I can only change the country code 3 more times before it is permanently set. Any way around this ?

Originally posted by mnemoniacal
[B]Works great for burning DVD’s, with DVD Shrink(fantastic & free) at 4x speed on Princo disks. I bought it mainly for the DVD functions.

I have copied a music CD with Nero 6 at 32x, no problems, but I don’t know what if any copy protection it had on it.

My concern is that it says I can only change the country code 3 more times before it is permanently set. Any way around this ? [/B]

Take a look at this site, you can get yourself a really nice ripspeed lock patched RPC1 hacked firmware :bigsmile:.

Dangerous Brotheres firmware site

The NEC has been great for me with both CD reading and burning.

The error correction isn’t the greatest, so don’t expect it to fly through copy protected (safedisc, etc) CD-ROM’s… NO SCRATCHES, either. I used my 2500 to rip all of my audio cds to mp3, using CDex and EAC… scratched discs are a big NO. My roommate has a LiteOn CD-ROM that does much better…

Burning CDs has been fine, 32x on CMC 32x media, havn’t tried anything else, as I can get 50 spindles of CMC for $10…

If you have the room in your box and $40, I would suggest a LiteOn 166S DVD-ROM to pair with the NEC, as that LiteOn seems to be the preferred DVD reader, and the NEC is an amazing writer – you just HAVE to give it the right media, cheap shit is a no go… hopefully future hacked or official (or both!) firmwares will support new 8X media that should be hitting shelves soon, as well as better write strategies for current 4x and older media.

–neoplex

Take a look at this site, you can get yourself a really nice ripspeed lock patched RPC1 hacked firmware . :bigsmile:

Thanks Foxbat, I’ll give it a go. From the associated article it seems I’ll have to do my DVD playing software (PowerDVD) and maybe even Windows(Me) as well. Why do the manufacturers bother ? They know from past history that someone, somewhere, will crack their systems. Still, I guess it’s more fun this way :stuck_out_tongue: