How important is education to become succesful?

vbimport

Some people never stop learning, others like to work as soon as they are allowed to but manage to become important persons later on in their life. Do you think that it’s possible to become succesful without diploma’s?

Absolutely

It’s not easy for me to answer this question, as our understandings of such concept as “education” can differ widely.
I explain. During the last 5 years education in my country has become something like craze :frowning: But, unfortunately, not the confirmation of the real knowledge and capabilities. Anybody, who wants to have some education, can without ceremony get it. Because all “system” is based on a corruption and bribes (such situation is characteristic nearly for the half of persons interested in having education)
Therefore all I speak about education is concerning to the real knowledges only, and in no way to diplomas
Yes, of course, education plays one of the major roles in man’s life.
And I consider that only the permanent improvement of human personality during all the life can be the mortgage of the real success. “improvement” - in all meanings.

An good education is important, but it’s not the “be all and end all”.
Being educated does not mean you’ll be sucessful, i think this is down to the person. If you have the drive and determination to succeed then a good education becomes secondary.
I know lots of people who are “well educated” and are not that smart or street wise.
I also know a lot of people who are not that well educated yet have become very successful.

The most important education you can have in this world is to know how to deal well with other people.

education…as in schooling…well depends…on you

self taught people can be just as sucessful but they have to prove themselves over and over again…kind of a catch 22…

Real world experience is just as important as a good education. Having both would be more of an asset than just a good education. IMO

There are many people who have become successful without diplomas. Thomas Edison is one example: only had a 3rd grade education, yet was one of the most prolific inventors in US history. In fact, if memory serves, he coined two phrases: “I’ve not failed, I’ve just found 1000 ways that didn’t work” (I believe it was his inventing the light bulb that required 1000 tries to get right) and “genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.” Michael Dell dropped out of college to start up Dell Computers and look where he is today.

Can everyone be brilliant? No. Can everyone be a Michael Dell? No. In fact, I believe it was a 1976 survey by the Canadian government of over 10.000 Canadian businesses that found the following: 2% were leaders; 8% had innate qualities to become leaders, but had to be trained and given opportunities to lead; the other 90% just ‘showed up’ and collected a paycheck.

The best bet is always to do your best, but start early in finding out your strengths (talents) and weaknesses. That way, you’ll know how to guide your educational experience to play to your strengths and build up those areas you need to succeed in that field. Take tests like a Myers-Briggs Interest Inventory test, take other related psychological and personality profile tests, as they are anywhere from 90-95% accurate and will help you better understand what fields you could succeed in, as well as which ones your personality is also best suited for. This will also better help one define one’s goals accordingly. The best advice is to find study and do what you’re best at (most passionate for), then find a job doing that.

That done, it’s a good idea to look at job wanted ads to find out what level of education is absolutely necessary in the field and country you live in. For example, here in the US, if you want to work in computer tech support, as far as you really need to go is to get a 2-year degree (A.S.) and appropriate certification for that field (good 2-year programs nearly make certification a foregone conclusion–if one puts in the required work). Basically, the maximum education required for most jobs is a bachelors (4-year degree). Here, employers in the US (since about 2000) consistently discriminate against those with too much education and/or experience in most cases. You’ll even find many job wanted ads that only require a high school diploma, but with a certain amount of experience (it’s possible to get the training in high schools these days, but where the devil they expect you to get the experience, I do not know). Only get very advanced degrees (Masters, Doctorate) for fields that absolutely require it. Another necessity these days is to form lasting friendships/genuine relationships with other people. You never know when those ‘contacts’ will come in handy, especially for a job. However, it should be a mutually beneficial relationship; don’t expect to be able to only solicit someone’s help when you need it, write them a thank you note, and that’s it. It may be quite an investment in time, but it may pay off in ways you can’t predict.

Regardless of how much education you get, keep learning new things, things you perhaps would like to do but have little experience or talent in, for you may find other skills or interests that prove valuable to your future. Always realize every person has limitations: it’s rare one person is good at everything. Accept that there may be things you’ll never be good at. Also realize that no matter how hard you try, you’ll never know nor master all there is. The best way I heard this explained was by a Spanish professor at Texas A&M that was very realistic about his educational experience. He said, “when I got my Bachelors, I thought I knew everything; when I got my Masters, I began to doubt it; when I got my Ph.d, I knew I knew absolutely nothing.” :stuck_out_tongue:

The most important thing: never let others define ‘success’ for you. If you were to make an ‘average’ living (not poor nor rich), but had enough money to cover your expenses and still have a little left over for enjoying things, be glad you have it. It’s better to make (as an example) $35,000, love your job and life than to make $125,000 or more, be stressed out and miserable. Money does NOT make the man.

Success = ambition + luck + some amount of knowledge (Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, The Waltons, Michael Dell, the guys at Yahoo, Donald Trump, Pres. Bush…okay -sub dad for knowledge, etc. etc.)

Mediocrity = lazy + good education (wait…that’s me!!!)

Loser = lazy + no education

Check these out

Limitations

Incompetence

You’ll probably have to have diplomas to become a professor at a place like Seoul National University and a lot of good connections as well. Mass education started to provide industrialists with mass workers trained to work in factories and offices for mass production to sell in the mass markets by advertising on mass media. Learning has evolved a little since then and by now, most US and European nationals should be affluent enough to learn without limits to suit their goals and ambitions. It’s a lot different in South Korea and it’s still a minority group in this country that want to reform the education closer to US style but the voices are nearly ignored. That is why South Korea spends about 20-30 billion US dollars each year to study in the US. That’s more than what South Korea spends on defense (against the Red North Korea.)

Learning is never enough. My father-in-law has six degrees from engineering (first at SNU, second in Sydney…) to French and can teach in China, Germany, US, Japan all in their own languages but still don’t know how to live a decent life. He sacrificed her own daughter for decades who got cerebral palsy to have more wealth for himself and dated other women when her own wife was going through cancer surgery (and also died from cancer later.) That’s why my wife chose to live with me and gave up being a millionaire.

drive is as important as education but people with drive usually plum for education as well

Education doesn’t just occur in schools and universities.

True

What is successful?

I think that you are successful when you feel happy!
When you love the things you do.
When you love the people around you.
When you have that very special love!

Believe me being successful in the business, isn’t a guarantee to be successful in your live!

Perhaps RexHunt meant success in business only.

I think you are right.

But I have the experience that being successful is more then business.

Reading your first reply about your father in law is an illustration of what I mean.

Of course I was being cynical in that reply.

They’ve had big businesses, still successful generating easy regular income. Power, connections, fame, social prestige, and even respect from neighbors and relatives are obvious things that come along such success.

He’s secular but not foolish. Her brother and father sacrificed her because it was a lot more profitable. Only thing I resent is that I can’t send them to prison because this is their country, not ours.

Love isn’t that important. I personally only followed my conscience and I still believe I could help one million people for better education if I had one hundred billion USDs. I would have sacrificed my own family (not the current one) if I could get that much.

Very true. I only have a High School Degree and an MCSE 2003, with these I have just recently begun a Government Position helping to look after the Department of Finance’s network with a team of 5 other highly educated colleagues. I’m an APS 5 (wont mean anything outside of Australia) on 55K. I put it down to: drive, personality and my ability to work in a team environment not my Education, whilst I am far from being a Computer/Network illiterate I am also far from being a Computer/Network Wizard. My biggest success though will always be my family.

All excellent points!!!

I would have to say being successful today (even when you are properly educated, have the skills necessary and you’re a motivated worker) is more about either being “in the right place at the right time” and/or who you know. I would rate finding a ‘fair-minded person’ that’s in a position to give any one person a chance at about 2% (if that high) today, as too many people look more to getting ahead themselves and not looking to help another person out (especially when a person is deserving). There used to be tons of people like Samuel Goldwin (spelling?) that said “I want people to tell me the truth even if it costs them their job.” Funny thing is that not a single person who did ever got fired. I don’t know of any 'head honchos" of any business or corporation that would want any employee to do that today. :frowning: