How I resurrected my Asus 1608P2S

This week my more than 3-year old Asus 1608P2S started dying. Occasionally, the tray would not open and finally it stopped recognizing any discs and refused to work at all. After restarting Windows it started working again but something was wrong - the read speed was very slow and when copying files from a DVD+R the CPU usage stayed at 100% and I experienced jerkiness when moving mouse cursor and windows. I checked the cables and connectors but it didn’t help. Because I need a DVD writer in my daily use I simply bought a new Pioneer DVR-116D, which worked without any problems as expected. The next day I though maybe I can look inside my old Asus before I throw it away. I opened the metal case, looked around the drive’s bowels and cleaned any dirt and dust I could see - the laser seemed to be clean anyway. I put it all together again and after connecting it to my computer the drive started working well! The reading issue is gone and it seems to burn all right! I just wish I did it before I bought the Pioneer, now I have 2 drives and both work. :doh: At least the DVD drives are quite cheap now.

Conclusion: if you have a drive that refused to work, try cleaning it before you throw it away as there may be some hope!

[QUOTE=Lemon Juice;2227051]…Conclusion: if you have a drive that refused to work, try cleaning it before you throw it away as there may be some hope![/QUOTE]Glad you got it sorted out. Happy burning. :flower:

But, with quite many CD/DVD burners, also many of them being burning plus 1k discs I must be a lucky guy never “cleaned” a single burner sofar.

IMO, the problems caused to above posters and issues corresponding into this type of problems lay in users bad knowledge about how the HW/ SW interact with each other. I’ve had Alcohol and Deamon Tools and other apps alike installed causing all kind of issues. making other apps complaining abou problems like; hiding drive, hiding media, aso.

Nowdays I’m a happy Linux user (and have been for quite some time) and I don’t even care about this issues. All my burners are up and running without any need of “cleaning”, less ever been cleaned.
But then, I might just be a happy guy living in a clean PC World…

You didn’t specify of your player will accept DVD-RW. Mine at home doesn’t. Instead, I use DVD-R.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2227389]But, with quite many CD/DVD burners, also many of them being burning plus 1k discs I must be a lucky guy never “cleaned” a single burner sofar.[/QUOTE]
That’s good to hear but my situation might be different because I have two cats:) Do you know what it’s like to have cats in a small flat / apartment? Their fur gets everywhere and there’s no escaping it, I found a few hairs in the drive as well:bigsmile:

I don’t know why you mention linux here as in my case the problem seemed to be clearly hardware related, I don’t know if linux would help if the drive is dirty. Anyway there wasn’t much dirt in the mechanical parts themselves, more on the electronics. My assumption is that some dust might have caused electrostatic charge which disturbed the electronic signals somewhere in the unit. I never got bad burns even when the drive was starting to malfunction.