How good is my PC? Honestly

I have a dell dimension 5000, I have had it for a while now (About 5 Years), I bought it new from Dell, When new it had Windows XP Home 32Bit, a intel pentium 4 cpu (3.0Ghz) processor , 512mb of ram (2x256mb), an 80gb sata hdd, CD/DVD±RW, A 15" TFT Flat Panel monitor, 128mb ATI Raedeon X300SE Graphics card, and 2.0 Desktop speakers.
Over the past 5 Years I have made some upgrades and I was wondering if anyone can say if I have made wise choices, or have I been wasting my money, Here are My specs as my Pc stands today.
Dell Dimension 5000
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0Ghz Dual Processor
Windows XP Home 32Bit
4 X 1GB DDR2 Ram Modules (XP32bit Only Detects 3GB)
1 X NEC DVD±RW
1 X Sony CDRW/DVD Rom
1 X 80Gb Maxtor SATA HDD (Original)
1 X 250GB WDC SATA HDD
1 X LACIE 250GB External USB HDD
1 X Freeagent 320GB External USB HDD
1 X Freeagent 500GB External USB HDD
1 X Freeagent 1TB External USB HDD
1 X External SATA/eSATA 2.5/3.5" Docking Station with 250GB Hitachi SATA HDD.
ASUS ATI Raedeon EAH 4670 D-Sub(VGA)/DVI-I/HDMI 512MB Graphics Card
Trust SC-5100 5.1 Surround Sound Card Connected to Full 5.1 Surround Sound System (Doubling up the two front speakers with the 2.0 desktop speakers originally purchased with PC).
15" TFT Flat Panel Monitor(Original) Connected Via D-Sub(VGA)
22" WSTFTHDMI Flat Panel Monitor Connected Via DVI-I To HDMI Cable
32" WSTFTHDMI Flat Panel TV Connected Via HDMI PRO 2 Range Cable
7.1 Virtual USB Audio
Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000
Wireless USB Keyboard
1 X 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub
1 X 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub
2 X USB Bluetooth Radio’s
HP Officejet 4680 WIFI Printer
2 X Logic 3 Dual Shock Control Pads & 1 Saitek Cyborg 3D USB Joystick.

I am wondering how much trouble it would be to upgrade to a core 2 quad duo, but I don’t want to mess up this pc as it works brilliantly, but am at a loss at other upgrades I could have to increase performance, I know that a 64bit OS would give me 4GB of RAM, and things like BluRay Disk Drives will increase my media format capabilities.
I Really enjoy Gaming, & watching Great movies & this PC performs Really Well, it’s just cos it is old now have I run out of things I can do to try and keep up with more recent PC’s (which seem a lot better than mine), Is my PC really obsolete?, or is it still a good PC that just seems old in current times?

I leave the answers to you, as I daren’t spend another penny on it if a newer model is the only way to keep up with the Jones’.

Thanks in advance, any comments would be grateful. RGK.

Hi,[QUOTE=RealGoneKid;2242261]I have a dell dimension 5000, I have had it for a while now (About 5 Years), (…)
Dell Dimension 5000
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0Ghz Dual Processor
(…)
I am wondering how much trouble it would be to upgrade to a core 2 quad duo, but I don’t want to mess up this pc as it works brilliantly,[/quote]
For a Core2Cuad, you need a new motherboard and new RAM at least. And possibly your VGA card needs to be replaced also (unless it is already PCI Express). Perhaps you need also a more powerful PSU (which might not fit in the Dell case).

That said, if you want to go the Core2Quad route, you should consider building a completely new system.

Or stick with what you have now. My own computer is a 5yrs old system also. Since it does all I want, I don’t see any reason for further upgrades.

Michael

The only reason to build a new fast system is to play the latest games or edit HD video. So if your doing things that your PC can handle there’s no reason to upgrade. The only thing I see is if your still using that 80GB HDD for the main OS, then I would retire that drive. Get a new Western Digital 640GB HDD as the OS drive. You can use software from WD to copy the contents of your 80GB drive to the 640GB drive and make a perfrect copy. Through the 80GB drive in the garbage because it is slow and is going to fail in short time, typically you should keep a HDD for a max of 5-6 years.

Hi, thanks for your input, The 80GB SATA HDD I have has been used as a secondary since it was 18 months old, I now use the WD Caviar 250GB as a primary & have had no problems with either, although I will take your advice onboard as I would rather purchase another HDD than lose my data. Thanks again RGK.
One more point I forgot, I do play top end games, and some have advanced 3D Graphics, plus I do have some problems Editing HD Video (Windows Explorer Closes, Thought it was a broken codec), So maybe this upgrade is warrented. RGK.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2242307]Hi,
For a Core2Cuad, you need a new motherboard and new RAM at least. And possibly your VGA card needs to be replaced also (unless it is already PCI Express). Perhaps you need also a more powerful PSU (which might not fit in the Dell case).

That said, if you want to go the Core2Quad route, you should consider building a completely new system.

Or stick with what you have now. My own computer is a 5yrs old system also. Since it does all I want, I don’t see any reason for further upgrades.

Michael[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your quick response, I did fail to mention the EAH4670 is a modern card PCIe and crossfire technology, I have had a look at compatible PSU’s and there is a converter that changes ATX Psu’s into Dell compatible ones, (this Item is around £15 GBP), but after pricing a few ATX PSU’s I had a look on the Dell website and they offer a 370W Dell compatible PSU for a mere £26.40 GBP, which considering ATX prices and the cost of a converter Seems very reasonable, (this was for a low noise running model Seen here http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&sku=A2557171)
Have I got it wrong or is this not what you specified, It seems really cheap, have I made a mistake with the PSU I require? Thanks again RGK.

What is the model of your processor?

download cpuz (free) if you do not know.

Just to note, your 4670 is very slow when it comes to gaming standards, but if your games play smoothly then there is no reason to upgrade.

If you were to upgrade your PSU then I would go with some thing like this: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Dell Upgrade PPCS500D 500W. But you would only need that if you were to upgrade your video card to a 4850/4870 or to crossfire your current card.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2242854]What is the model of your processor?

download cpuz (free) if you do not know.

Just to note, your 4670 is very slow when it comes to gaming standards, but if your games play smoothly then there is no reason to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, The processor is an intel pentium 4 HT, the name section calls it an intel pentium 4 530, it also tells me that it has a socket 775 LGA, if this is any help, also the eah 4670 is 512mb, and It replaced a eah 3650 256mb, I have noticed considerable differences in the performance, I only have PCIe 1.0 and even though this card has crossfire technology I cannot double up graphics cards, (Would be nice though).

[QUOTE=eric93se;2242856]If you were to upgrade your PSU then I would go with some thing like this: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Dell Upgrade PPCS500D 500W. But you would only need that if you were to upgrade your video card to a 4850/4870 or to crossfire your current card.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, now I understand, Wow thats a monster of a psu, Is this compatible with my machine?
Oh I see also a Dremmel Modification, Well I have been known to use a 4" Grinder to mod PC to fit Graphics cards, Those were the days).
Unfortunately it seems this product is unavailable for shipping to the UK.

PCIe 2.0 cards are completly backwards compatible with 1.0 MB’s. I’m sure there is a UK vendor for a Dell PSU upgrade. I think you should stay with what your system is for now and build a new system when you feel ready.

Thank you very much for your sound advice, I guess its time to save the pennies Until I have enough to Top what I have now, which I don’t think is to bad for the moment, I put this thread up to answer the question “How good is my PC, Honestly” In all I am happy with the results, My computer is good for it’s age and I am thankful for that, but as times are changing, And Home PC’s are becoming faster, more powerful, and with better features, New systems are required to meet the standards of available technology, I conclude that This is a very reliable PC, and it is capable of being upgraded from the manufacturers original specifications quite easily, I am sure that every penny spent to increase it’s performance has been worth it. So now I think I will skip a few levels of upgrade, missing out the core 2 duo’s and the core 2 quad option, and go for an intel i7, and a 64bit OS, as you said above there is probably a UK manufacturer that I can get a 500w PSU, and I do think building a new PC from scratch (although a challenge), would give me a better performing PC, Thank you again for all your comments, they have been appreciated greatly. RGK.