How good is LG GCE-8527B?

I would like to buy a CD burner to be used for audio tasks like DAE and burning CDs, of course.
I can’t find so many models here around, no Plextors, no LiteOn…
so I was wondering if LG GCE-8527B is a good quality burner and if I can scan and test CDs with it.
I hope that some GCE-8527B owner can answer me.
Thanx and greetings. :slight_smile:

Hi,

LG drives are not known to support disc scanning. Concerning write quality, they won’t be worse than Liteon drives (my Liteon SOHR-5239V produces rather high jitter even with top media, and I don’t trust its scanning capabilities any more).
So I think, you can’t go wrong with the LG.

Michael

Thanx for your answer Michael :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that I use top media generally with TY layer.
I just finished to read about your experience with 5239V in another thread where you scan every cd with different burners and I also bet less jitter using a LiteOn Cd-Rw.
Your tests are very useful and I guess they can help a lot of people. :bow:
Did you even try new 2$0E firmware ?
What kind of improvement is that supposed to give ?
I hope a lower jitter.
The latest favour: would you show me a Benq (jitter) scan of a 16x 5239V burn ?

I have an update for what regards me.
I have found a shop which can provide me with LiteOn 5239V or Samsung SH-R522C. ( I found absolutely nothing about the second one on CdFreaks :sad: )
So it seems I have some choice even if I think I will go LiteOn to be able to scan my burns.

Hi,

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that I use top media generally with TY layer.
Then get a LG 4163 or 4167 DVDRW drive. I haven’t seen anything better with TY CD-R :slight_smile:

I just finished to read about your experience with 5239V in another thread where you scan every cd with different burners and I also bet less jitter using a LiteOn Cd-Rw.
Your tests are very useful and I guess they can help a lot of people. :bow:
Did you even try new 2$0E firmware ?
What kind of improvement is that supposed to give ?
I hope a lower jitter.
I did these tests with differenty media: TY, CMC, MCC (Made in India). My Liteon CD-RW is on 2$0E firmware, but I didn’t notice any improvements for the media I am using. Also, there was no improvement in jitter:(

The latest favour: would you show me a Benq (jitter) scan of a 16x 5239V burn ?
Let’s see, what I can do for you. Recently, I did a MCC at 24x on the Litey, and my Benq showed rather high jitter figures. I am not sure, if I kept the scan, will dig for it this evening.
In case I burn a new disc, what media would you prefer? I have these MIDs available (TY are out at the moment):
Verbatim Data Life Plus 52x MiI (MCC)
Verbatim Data Life Plus 52x MiEU (MCC)
Platinum 52x (CMC Mag)
Sony “Supremas” 40x (Sony)
Maxell “SQ” 52x (Ritek)

Michael

Thanx. I appreciate it so much.
Do you think that a 10% jitter can compromise only the compatibility with certain readers or even long term storage of data and music ?

Besides TY cds, I have a spindle of printable Verbatim MCC made in India.
You’re [U]extremely[/U] kind, thanx a lot. :slight_smile:

Here you are: MCC (Verbatim Data Life Plus, Made in India) written at 16x on Liteon SOHR-5239V 2$0E.

And I found the scan of a disc (same spindle) written on the same drive at 24x:

Error	Maximum	Total	Average	
E11	35	42921	9.03
E21	9	739	0.16
E31	17	1209	0.25
E12	211	10747	2.26
E22	0	0	0.00
E32	0	0	0.00
BLER	41	44869	9.44
Jitter	23.0%	n/a	17.95%

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:
You were right: jitter looks very high.

Just to let you know how the story went on…

I waited a couple of weeks until I understood that shop has failed in finding any burner I told you in my old post. :rolleyes:
In the meantime, by lucky chance, I found out a shop which has Benq 1655 at disposal and, since I remember that it’s considered one of the best ones at burning DVDs and very good with CDs, I couldn’t resist and I ordered it. :bigsmile:

It should arrive in few days.