How far back (PC's) can we install SSD?

vbimport

I have some friends that have ask me about upgrading to SSD, one has a vista PC, another a 4 yr old win7 unit, another a 6-7 yr old win7 PC.

Can all of them get a new SSD if I adapt the power and data cord connections?

MTIA

You need to look in the bios to make sure that there is support for AHCI mode for the hard drives. I had a Abit IP-35e (Core2 Duo era) board that did not have this and while I could get the SSD recognized, I could not install a Windows operating system onto the drive with this board.

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know.

I’ve installed a SSD on a system with SATA 1 no AHCI, it’s possible that it may lack trim capability

Thanks Matth, good to know but it’s confusing as to where the split is at isn’t it.

I havea spare pc that will recognize native IDE HDD for installing an OS, but the raid controller needs a windows driver (from a FLOPPY OR USB stick) to install to sata. Those were the sh*tty days… I’m thinking that backup pc’s days are numbered, as I just bought a laptop again & will likley upgrade my main pc in the coming years as SSD gets mainstream affordable and not a splurge.
I’m thinking $100 to $150 for a terabyte ssd. Maybe an 8-10tb drive as hdd storage supplement-alot depends on prices.

Kinda surprised we haven’t seen terabyte micro sd flash cards yet or even announced.

Good scenario tmc8080.

To get full speed out of the an SSD you need something newer than an x58 motherboard.

How in the world could I know if anyone’s MB is later than a X58 ?

[QUOTE=moonuser;2786483]How in the world could I know if anyone’s MB is later than a X58 ?[/QUOTE]
Google the brand name including the model type adding the word chipset.

Basically if the board supports SATA then you can install a SSD drive. It will not be able to function optimally, but it should work because of backwards compatibility.

You could also add a sata controller, but it might not be possible to actually boot from a disk connected to an extra sata controller. Some controllers have their own bios, some don’t.

Thanks Mr B]

Thats exactly what I need to know,again Thanks.

[QUOTE=moonuser;2779444]I have some friends that have ask me about upgrading to SSD, one has a vista PC, another a 4 yr old win7 unit, another a 6-7 yr old win7 PC.
Can all of them get a new SSD if I adapt the power and data cord connections?
MTIA[/QUOTE]

I think anything with vista and Sata on board controller should be SSD compatible as boot unless you don’t have ACHI option then it might be a problem. One should check to make sure it has ACHI that will most likely help to insure your SSD can boot from it otherwise update the BIOS to the last updated version will help as well. As some did come with update BIOS before production ended and some computers were never updated since then.