How far away are 16x DVD recorder drives?

I’m thinking about buying a Lite-On 851S DVD+R drive, but I’m wondering if I should wait until the 16x drives arrive. Does anybody have any dea how far away those drives are (particularly Lite-On)?

LiteOn’s 12x are coming out this month (now, whether “coming out” means that they’re going to start production or that they’re going to start shipping or that stores are going to start selling is a little vague). 16x from them will be later in, (2nd half of the year… 3rd quarter, I guess?)… of course, prices will be high at start, and it probably won’t be until next year before prices drop a whole lot.

Oh, and, uh, good luck finding media for these fast burners. :slight_smile: 8x media is STILL hard to find even though 8x burners have been out for months. Chances are, fast media will be in shortage, and people will probably rely on overspeed-burning their slower media. While the jump from burning 4x at 8x isn’t that big, I wonder how burning 8x media at 16x would turn out.

So basically, you reckon I should just go with buying that 851S right now?

I would get a 812 instead, as it has some secret capabilities that the 851 does not have. :wink:

Moved to the LiteOn forum

[i] Does anybody have any dea how far away those drives are (particularly Lite-On)? [/B]

Taiwan is veeeery far from Holland;) :wink:

Hey rdgrimes,

What “secret” capabilities are you referring to?
I might have to go get an 812 now…

Originally posted by unkdunk
[B]Hey rdgrimes,

What “secret” capabilities are you referring to?
I might have to go get an 812 now… [/B]

I could tell you but then it wouldn’t be a secret. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]I would get a 812 instead, as it has some secret capabilities that the 851 does not have. :wink:

Moved to the LiteOn forum [/B]

such as upgradable firmware to a dual layer burner perhaps??:wink:

Originally posted by Jamos

That would be cool! :cool:

People seemed to have higher hopes for 851@812 than for the 812@832, and the former never really succeeded, so it’ll be interesting to see how the latter goes. Might just turn out like the 851@812 and be able to do everything except for DL. And if it does work, Pioneer and Philips have both said that their drives won’t be firmware upgradable because only a select few good ones will have the necessary precision. We’ve seen that LiteOn drives have plenty of quality variation, too, so the quality issue would probably come into play.

…or it might work out nicely. But, eh, I wouldn’t get my hopes up very high if I were you. :wink:

What’s the 832? Is that the 12X, or a DL drive, or ??

Originally posted by Bicster
What’s the 832? Is that the 12X, or a DL drive, or ??

DL

Originally posted by code65536
[B]People seemed to have higher hopes for 851@812 than for the 812@832, and the former never really succeeded, so it’ll be interesting to see how the latter goes. Might just turn out like the 851@812 and be able to do everything except for DL. And if it does work, Pioneer and Philips have both said that their drives won’t be firmware upgradable because only a select few good ones will have the necessary precision. We’ve seen that LiteOn drives have plenty of quality variation, too, so the quality issue would probably come into play.

…or it might work out nicely. But, eh, I wouldn’t get my hopes up very high if I were you. :wink: [/B]

Then what is Grimes talking about his secret on the 812??:smiley:

Then what is Grimes talking about his secret on the 812??:smiley:

A few months ago, it was speculated that the 851 could be upgraded to the 812. At that same time, it was speculated that the 812 could be upped to the 832. AFAIK, these speculations were made based on what people thought were the hardware differences between the drives (i.e., if there was no HW diff, then it’ll work). At the time these speculations floated around, 851@812 was deemed to be fairly likely, and 812@832 was deemed to be possible, but not as likely as the 851@812. Well, time passed, and it turned out that 851@812 was not possible. Of course, this really should have no bearing on whether or not 812@832 would be possible, but it just makes me all the more skeptical, esp. when hopes for 851@812 were higher than hopes for 812@832.

Unless rdgrimes got a hold of more/new information (he does seem well-connected) that would make him think that 812@832 is more likely than what people thought a few months ago, I’ll leave the matter at “it might be possible, but don’t get your hopes up too high.”

@rdgrimes: Do you have anything that you want to say about this? :wink:

“it might be possible, but don’t get your hopes up too high.”

Do you have anything that you want to say about this?

Yes :wink: But until the 832 is on the shelves, I really can’t. :sad:
Besides, it’s more fun to stir up rumors. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Besides, it’s more fun to stir up rumors. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sir, you are evil!

I like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed…E V I L…:iagree: