How does the Lite-On 52x CD-ROM perform?

Could anyone give me info on how the Lite-On 52x CD-ROM performs ???

Also make special mention of the ability to read scratched CDs.

I have to tell you, i was damn skeptical when i got mine this past week. it cost me $96 out the door but i didn’t care because i was getting a new 48/24/48 plextor for free from Comdex (i gets lots of free things.) so i went and bought the liteon. i installed it and burned about 3 games (MOH, AOM and BG2) and they were perfect. i burned 6 music cds (Dreamn Theater, Greg Howe, Armored Saint, WhiteSnake, White Lion and Savatage) and they were also perfect. the Whitesnake (greatest hits) cd was scratched pretty good and it skips in other cd players but it burned it fine and it plays fine. I don’t listen to radio crap or trendy, teeny bopping music like what’s out today so maybe the stuff i listen to doesn’t have the same protections since they’re not as popular. I don’t get too much into times or anything but on average it took just 2:16 to 2:20 to read and another 2:00 or so to write using Verbatim 48x cdrs.

so far everything’s exellent and i’m happy with it. i put the new plextor in another pc and it’s just a couple seconds slower but it’s also great. the liteon is alot cheaper so if you’re buying go for the liteon it’s just as good and i’ve heard it’s better for copying games. so far neither could copy NOLF2 and i used alcohol120% for all the burning i did.
:smiley:

your CD ROM can burn data??? NICE DRIVE!! :bigsmile:

@Yorke_19

Bingo, I was going to say the same thing.

@YoMama

I am talking about the 52x CD-ROM from Lite-On, not the burner.

There’s reviews on each of the LiteOn drives, I think, at CDR Labs. Basically, they all perform much the same, and as CD-roms are soon to be abandoned byt the factories, best to get either a DVD-rom or another burner. None of the LiteOns are particularly fast with damaged CD’s, but they are able to read them.

Thanks rdgrimes.

I’ll check the CDRLabs.com website for the review.

Reading scratched CDs is important.

DVDs are not readily available in my part of the world.

Most people have not even seen a DVD.

People here still stick to good old CD-ROM.

@rdgrimes

Checked CDRLabs.com

They haven’t review the Lite-On 52x CD-ROM.

"Bingo, I was going to say the same thing.

@YoMama

I am talking about the 52x CD-ROM from Lite-On, not the burner."

Ahhh who cares get the burner you cheap bastard’ lol!

Keep bad language otta here.

If you don’t care to read the question correctly. Why do you bother to answer. :a :a :a :a :a :a :a :a

“If you don’t care to read the question correctly. Why do you bother to answer.”

Damn bro, lol. didn’t get much sleep last night? take it easy it’s bad for the yang.

"DVDs are not readily available in my part of the world.

Most people have not even seen a DVD."

Are you really from Mombay? I was there while on duty. beautiful place.

hey bro recomend a good “rag”, i’ve been trying to find good artists but i stick to work by Sri Purna and Pandit Jog. Rag Kambhoji is a cool rag.

@YoMama

Yes, i am from bombay. DVDs are not available as readily as they are available in London.

So, even I haven’t bought a DVD.

I want this info on the CD-ROM because I want to recomend it to a friend.

Sorry, I don’t hear ‘Ragas’.

Originally posted by Yorke_19
your CD ROM can burn data??? NICE DRIVE!! :bigsmile:

For that price it should :bigsmile:

Are you really from Mombay? I was there while on duty. beautiful place.

Dude, that’s MUMBAI or BOMBAY, not MOMBAY!
ragas? Listen to stuff by Pandit H Chaurasia (awesome flautist), Ustad Sultan Khan, and Ustad Bismillah Khan

@Bhairav

So, you listen to Ragas !!! :bigsmile:

Nothing bad in it but, no youngsters normally do.
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I have in my hands one LTN 526 52x , i would do some tests and i will report my findings … :slight_smile:

Originally posted by olyboy
I have in my hands one LTN 526 52x , i would do some tests and i will report my findings … :slight_smile:

Thank you very much.:slight_smile: I am waiting eagerly for your reports.:bow:

Originally posted by Bhairav
[B]

Dude, that’s MUMBAI or BOMBAY, not MOMBAY!
ragas? Listen to stuff by Pandit H Chaurasia (awesome flautist), Ustad Sultan Khan, and Ustad Bismillah Khan [/B]

I was in London when Bombay was renamed to Mumbai.

When I was coming back, I saw many parcels to Mumbai which were labelled “Mumbay”.:bigsmile:

Now “Mombay” is new isn’t it.:bigsmile:

Ok about the LTN 526 …

Test system Celery 450 Abit BX board Intel 440BX - 256 megs .
Connection type Ultra DMA 33 40-pin cable , LTN 526 as Secondary Master no other device as slave …

The drive is very noisy at full speed , and i am talking noisy as hell …
At full speed you can feel air to blasted from every possible hole from the plastic face of it …
At the seek test in Nero speed my full tower box with wheels started to dancing left and right …
This thing vibrates too much , but for sure it spins fast .

In praxis , in the tests of Nero CD speed …
The drive perform very well in the data transfer , the max speed that i see by testing 6 different data CDs was like 50,43X and average 38X .
But in audio test the drive never pass the 40X ,even with the use of fully loaded from tracks CDs …

In the worst scenario (average scratched CD ) , the drive fall to 16x , and this was the most lower speed that i have see in all the testing …

Actually i have two LTN 526 in my hands, loaded with the latest firmware , and i did test them both , both perform identically , with the same amount of speed and vibrations … l

As last test , i played with the Nero Drive Speed ( you can control the operational speed of the drive ) …
The LTN 526 becomes almost quiet at 24X , but even at 32X the drive is very noisy and at the max you have the feeling that the drive it will be ejected from the computer tower by it self .

And another one last test , LiteOn says that this drive it operates in horizontal and vertical position , and yes it does …
Just for the fun of it i turned it upside down at the time that it was spinning at 30X , what happen !! One very strong banging noise come out of it , for one second i thought that the disk inside had stuck in the mechanism , but in the reality the drive stopped to operate for few seconds ,and started by it self from one lower speed … The CD disk remain intact ,and free of damage as the drive too .

It looks like a fine speed devil , but its hard to live with it , specially if you tend to forget your CDs in your CD drive ,as the most people do …

About the noise issue , and in comparison with the LTN 526 , my Plextor 4012TA CDR and the Hitachi GD-8000 DVD (40x)is angels …

The good part is that this drive is a real CAV , in data and audio …
And it will par well with my Plextor burner , but i have not make my mind yet , if i really like to have a devil like this in my main computer … :bigsmile:

@olyboy

Thank very much for sparing some of your precious time for me & doing the tests.:bow:

The drive is fast indeed.:bigsmile:

These tests by you have really helped me.

I don’t mind the noise & vibrations.

My Creative Infra 48x CD-ROM was very very loud. Sound was like when you switch on your Air-conditioner.

I have used it all these years & so, this Litey will be nothing.

One strange. The drive made noise when it was new. Very quite now.:confused: