How does the DVR-216 stack up to the DVR-115?

I have a Pioneer 115D. Its maybe a year old if that, and it has performed amazingly. Of course I cross flashed it in to a 115L for bit setting support and so forth. The other day I pulled out some old mix cds I made years ago that had been through heel and back. I thought there was no way anything could read through the scratches, and to my surprise my 115D read through it with about 95% or higher success rate, and the other 5% or less that didnt duplicate perfectly were one second spots that skip.

Anyways moving on with my point, sadly this drive is bound to die on me sooner or later as it has problems ejecting so a mechanical failure is imminent. I am getting ready to upgrade to an i7 set up, and will obviously need a new burner. So how does the 216 stack up to the 115?

Moved post to its own thread

My apologies Albert, that just seemed like a good place to put it. Thanks.

No worries. :slight_smile:

Now, from the scans I’ve seen, I think the x16 series is equally as good as the x15 series. I haven’t noticed any significant complaints about the diminishing of quality when comparing the two. I really quite like my DVR-216. :iagree:

Others may have a different say.

[QUOTE=Albert;2296373]Others may have a different say.[/QUOTE] My Pioneer DVR-116D@116 is not as good a burner as my 115 and 112 series drives, especially for some DVD-R media like TYG02.

My Optiarc AD-7203A and AD-7200A are also better than my 116 for DVD burning.

This might be a result of my particular drive being sub-standard or it might be general. There have been others here at CDF reporting that their 116/216 series were not as good as their 115/215 series drives.

EDIT: Maybe I’m picky, but I don’t like the PIF spikes seen below. My BenQ DW1655 also has slowdowns at some of these PIF spikes (probably recalibration points).

Especially the high-speed scan shows these PIF spikes (which are absent for the same media burned on other drives).

EDIT2: Same media burned on a Pioneer DVR-112L - PIF is much better:

I get similar additional PIF spikes for TYG03 media on my Pioneer DVR-116D, that I don’t get with other burners. I won’t post scans unless requested - they look much like the TYG02 scans,

I usually stick with Sony Media because its the best walmart carries. Best Buy has Verbs but I dont like Best Buy and I sleep through the day alot of times, but I have seen some insane deals on TY media online so i may stat picking some of them up online.

What burner would you all suggest if not going with the 216?

[QUOTE=Xplorer4x4;2296632]What burner would you all suggest if not going with the 216?[/QUOTE] Depends on what you want your burner to do and on what you can get, but perhaps one of the following drives:

Optiarc AD-7240S
Optiarc AD-7200S (or 7203S or 7201S or 5200S in the same series)

Well high quality burns is an obvious. :stuck_out_tongue: Something thats going to work miracles for reading damaged discs like my 115D does, and I suppose the third piece of criteria would be something that can burn fast.

The “high quality burn” and “burn fast” requirements are mutually exclusive - they can be achieved by the same drive but not in the same burn.

The best quality burns are usually achieved at medium burning speeds, which for most burners is 6x-8x and some burners 8x-12x (there are exceptions).

All DVD burns at higher than 16x speed should be considered as an experimental way of creating a coaster, that sometimes fails thereby producing an acceptable result. :smiley:

Well in that case lets focus on a drive with extraordinary reading capabilities like the 115.

Doesnt have to be a Pioneer, but I am willing to give Pioneer another shot. I guess I just got a bad drive this time around.

I don’t know if the Pioneer DVR-115 has extraordinary reading abilities or not, but the Optiarc AD-7203A and 7200A I have are pretty good DVD readers - perhaps comparable to LiteOn drives.

I have two Pioneer DVR-115D/L drives, but I haven’t used them for reading problematic discs. I also rarely have problematic discs except for bad burns, since I try to handle my media carefully. Thus I cannot comment on how good a reader the 115/215 series is.

It should be noted that Burning DVD Media at speeds faster than 16x speed is just a bunch of DVD Drive Manufacturing Advertising propaganda. There is no DVD Media manufactured that is certified at speeds faster than 16x speed.

I think one point that the ‘Speed’ folks overlook is that the fastest speed the DVD Forum (DVD Consortium) “Book” DVD Media manufacturing specifications support is 16x speed and as Forum Member DrageMester points out any Burning at speeds exceeding 16x speed is an “Experiment”. The difference in Burning DVD Media at 16x speed verses +16x speeds is less than 2 seconds. Is saving 2 seconds in a Burn worth the risk of making a “Coaster” and the possibility of loosing critical data?

Regards,
bjkg

My A16 couldnt get beaten, especially in case of DL burning.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2296807]I try to handle my media carefully.[/QUOTE]
As do I these days, but when I was 16(and for a few years after that) and just started driving it was another story. A few months ago I found an old mix cd I had made back in that era. The disc was, if I had to guess, 7 years old. It was one of my favorite CDs ever. So I decided to put it in my burner. Now if memorey serves me right, Audio CD Ripping apss wouldnt read through it, but for some reason I tried ImgBurn. So I used ImgBurn to rip it as a bin file, and used Universal Extractor to extract the wav files out it.

Drage, and Chef, thanks for those suggestions. I suppose I will look into the drives you guys mentioned. I was hopping for more help/suggestions, and a clear cut winner. Guess thats not going to happen.

I looked at the Sony Optiarc 7240S, but it says it doesnt have bit setting. Is there a firmware patch for this?

[QUOTE=Xplorer4x4;2300360]I looked at the Sony Optiarc 7240S, but it says it doesnt have bit setting. Is there a firmware patch for this?[/QUOTE]
Yes. It’s available on my site.

[QUOTE=chef;2298870]My A16 couldnt get beaten, especially in case of DL burning.[/QUOTE]

I had poor results burning DL (only + MIS Verbatim, either 2.4x or true 8x) with Benq 1655, Nec 5210, various LGs, and Pioneer 212D, etc. until I got a Pioneer 215, and then the results have been much better and more consistent. Is the A16 equal or better than the 215 in the burning of DL?

[QUOTE=Coconut;2301284]I had poor results burning DL (only + MIS Verbatim, either 2.4x or true 8x) with Benq 1655, Nec 5210, various LGs, and Pioneer 212D, etc. until I got a Pioneer 215, and then the results have been much better and more consistent. Is the A16 equal or better than the 215 in the burning of DL?[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you read the scans posted??