How does one cirumvent fake sized VOB files?

[QUOTE=lahnipm;2285315]Yea, I tried that too. I guess my main question here is, what kind of file protection is this called? Perhaps with something a bit more specific, google would prove to be more useful.[/QUOTE]

Using the most recent version, DVDFab may even be able to help you with this. Do it as Main Movie, pathplayer enabled.

If it’ll open the disc, see if the title choice includes the VTS_33 group…if it does, use that, along with audio & substream choices that seem to fit, and try the rip. Make sure titles (menus) are included, as you want those IFO files, too.

If that refuses, for whatever reason, to work, try using Imgburn to create an ISO image of those same VOBs. I don’t have a disc here at home with a similar structure to advise you exactly how to do this… you may have to experiment a bit…and if you’re not happy with an ISO image (it’ll play in stand-alones, as well as your PC with VLC), we can further process it.

Please advise.

OC

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=012;2285326]From my point of view it appear UDF filesystem is messed up. Very common know a days which is causing 4.7 GB disc to look like 366 GB.
Patching UDF file system should fix the problem.[/QUOTE]

This would happen in Windows, Mac 10.5, FreeBSD 7.2 and Ubuntu Linux on the same disk?

Not sure if it’ll work with your particular disc, but try by extracting and converting to single mpg, or separate mpg(s) by title, chapter etc.(Pro version)… …Then if successful, create/author a new proper DVD structure…

http://www.svcd2dvd.com/VOB2MPG/default.aspx

[QUOTE=lahnipm;2285126]Hrm, I haven’t tried Clone mode in DVDFab simply because I cannot copy all the VOBs as is ,(,.[/QUOTE]

IF all you want is a playable backup then DVDFAB CLONE mode should work & should bypass all this grief about VOB sizes as a.f.a.i.k. it just does a bit by bit copy of the disc. and outputs either an ISO file for burning or writes directly to a blank DVD Try it & report back.

I will try this evening and will verify whether or not clone mode will work. Are there any specific options I should check/uncheck?

Do not check the “Copy original IFOs…” box. Do check the “Copy DVD-Video data only” box. If you want an image file as well, go to Common Settings->General and uncheck the box that says “Delete temporary files when done”. PathPlayer can normally handle this. Try using the Send IFO Files button on the DVDFab Info page. In the comments box at the bottom of the form, a brief explanation and a link to this thread.

[QUOTE=signals;2285618]Do not check the “Copy original IFOs…” box. Do check the “Copy DVD-Video data only” box. If you want an image file as well, go to Common Settings->General and uncheck the box that says “Delete temporary files when done”. PathPlayer can normally handle this. Try using the Send IFO Files button on the DVDFab Info page. In the comments box at the bottom of the form, a brief explanation and a link to this thread.[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried this and it successfully creates the appropriately sized iso. It appears to in fact create an identical clone of the disk, however, upon trying to play the disk, it still has issues.

Using VLC for Mac (and Windows), it starts playing the newly burned DVD right at the menus. I can navigate through the menus. Once I select an option, it immediately closes the VLC window a few seconds after, as if it reached the end of the video. Nothing is displayed after selecting an option on the menu. Also, the splash screen explained below appears to be skipped as well using VLC.

Using the DVD Player that came with the Mac, it starts playing the little splash screen that happens on the original before the menus appear, then hangs the program and I need to force quit it. It doesn’t even get to the menu’s with this program. I don’t have a commercial dvd player handy at the moment to test in there

Definitely seems like I’m getting closer.

I did do a IFO submit and added the URL of this thread. Is there anything else I can try in the meanwhile?

[QUOTE=lahnipm;2285690]I’ve tried this and it successfully creates the appropriately sized iso. It appears to in fact create an identical clone of the disk, however, upon trying to play the disk, it still has issues.

Using VLC for Mac (and Windows), it starts playing the newly burned DVD right at the menus. I can navigate through the menus. Once I select an option, it immediately closes the VLC window a few seconds after, as if it reached the end of the video. Nothing is displayed after selecting an option on the menu. Also, the splash screen explained below appears to be skipped as well using VLC.

Using the DVD Player that came with the Mac, it starts playing the little splash screen that happens on the original before the menus appear, then hangs the program and I need to force quit it. It doesn’t even get to the menu’s with this program. I don’t have a commercial dvd player handy at the moment to test in there

Definitely seems like I’m getting closer.

I did do a IFO submit and added the URL of this thread. Is there anything else I can try in the meanwhile?[/QUOTE]

If you try cataloguing the newly burned disc (ISO) in Windows Explorer, it should show the cat. on a file by file basis. (rather than just one large ISO file). If it does, see if you can copy the files one by one to your HD, and then run FixVTS on the VOBs.

As stated earlier, it should fix the IFO files too, and can be checked with VLC after FixVTS.

If that works, you can burn the newly fixed files to another disc which should work normally.

Worth a try?

OC

I was thinking of this as well since my last post. I opened the contents of the disk and tried copying and we’re back to square one. All of the VOBs 1-99 are there and each one is the same file size as I posted earlier. So it wants to copy ~119gb (going from memory for disk 2) and ~366gb for disk 1.

what is circumventor???

[QUOTE=lahnipm;2285723]I was thinking of this as well since my last post. I opened the contents of the disk and tried copying and we’re back to square one. All of the VOBs 1-99 are there and each one is the same file size as I posted earlier. So it wants to copy ~119gb (going from memory for disk 2) and ~366gb for disk 1.[/QUOTE]

Did you try my earlier suggestion? (just before the one you did try from signals…) - using newest version of Fab in Main Movie mode to try to get the VOB 33 group?

OC

In main movie mode, it only see’s title 1. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Tezza48;2285725]what is circumventor???[/QUOTE]

The noun of circumvent…

That which tries to get around (or circumvent) a, say, problem or situation or obstacle.

OC

I found this using ImgBurn, if it helps at all:

I 15:08:08 Source Media Sectors: 733,680 (Track Path: PTP)
I 15:08:08 Source Media Size: 1,502,576,640 bytes
I 15:08:08 Source Media Volume Identifier: DVD
I 15:08:08 Source Media Volume Set Identifier: 110C229DAPPLEDSPDVD
I 15:08:08 Source Media Application Identifier: DVD Studio Pro:4.1.2, DSPInterface:431.6.2, DVDAuthoring:428.30.3, DVDBase:468.21(Encoder: 527), Oxygene:427
I 15:08:08 Source Media Implementation Identifier: Apple Computer, Inc.
I 15:08:08 Source Media File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

[QUOTE=lahnipm;2285837]I found this using ImgBurn, if it helps at all:

I 15:08:08 Source Media Sectors: 733,680 (Track Path: PTP)
I 15:08:08 Source Media Size: 1,502,576,640 bytes
I 15:08:08 Source Media Volume Identifier: DVD
I 15:08:08 Source Media Volume Set Identifier: 110C229DAPPLEDSPDVD
I 15:08:08 Source Media Application Identifier: DVD Studio Pro:4.1.2, DSPInterface:431.6.2, DVDAuthoring:428.30.3, DVDBase:468.21(Encoder: 527), Oxygene:427
I 15:08:08 Source Media Implementation Identifier: Apple Computer, Inc.
I 15:08:08 Source Media File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)[/QUOTE]

Re your post before this one…did you try to rip title 1?

DVDFab, before you start, won’t show you what makes up title 1, but starting a rip would at least tell you if it was trying the correct VOBs, even if it turns out it can’t rip them…

Failing that, you could also invest about $1,300.00 in Apple’s Final Cut (which includes DVD Studio Pro) the program that made your DVD…I’m reasonably sure the program that did what it did can also undo what it did.

If Fab or Imgburn doesn’t work, I’m afraid you’ll be looking for an Apple/Mac solution to your problem.

Re the part of the Imgburn log you posted…did you allow Imgburn to continue? Did it do anything?

Please advise.

OC

[QUOTE=OCanada;2285860]Re your post before this one…did you try to rip title 1?

DVDFab, before you start, won’t show you what makes up title 1, but starting a rip would at least tell you if it was trying the correct VOBs, even if it turns out it can’t rip them…

Failing that, you could also invest about $1,300.00 in Apple’s Final Cut (which includes DVD Studio Pro) the program that made your DVD…I’m reasonably sure the program that did what it did can also undo what it did.

If Fab or Imgburn doesn’t work, I’m afraid you’ll be looking for an Apple/Mac solution to your problem.

Re the part of the Imgburn log you posted…did you allow Imgburn to continue? Did it do anything?

Please advise.

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I’ve done just title 1 and that includes the splash screen only before the menus on the original with DVDFab. It makes the final iso only about 86mb in size so it is skipping the rest of the disk.

I did allow ImgBurn to continue and it finished, making an ISO identical to that provided by Clone Mode of DVDFab. Playing it, however, provides the same outcome:

VLC plays it, starting directly at the menus. Selecting a menu option causes it to exit, closing the window and not playing the video.

DVD Player plays it, starting at the splash screen which is before the menus on the original, then hangs the program, never getting to the menus themselves.

Either way, both solutions don’t actually remove this structure protection as the contents of VIDEO_TS of these “copies” have the abnormally large file sizes despite the size of the media they are on. Unfortunately though, they do not play.

Is there a program out there that simply detects structure protection and the integrity of the files? At best to give me a name of this type of protection?

[QUOTE=lahnipm;2285865]Yes, I’ve done just title 1 and that includes the splash screen only before the menus on the original with DVDFab. It makes the final iso only about 86mb in size so it is skipping the rest of the disk.

I did allow ImgBurn to continue and it finished, making an ISO identical to that provided by Clone Mode of DVDFab. Playing it, however, provides the same outcome:

VLC plays it, starting directly at the menus. Selecting a menu option causes it to exit, closing the window and not playing the video.

DVD Player plays it, starting at the splash screen which is before the menus on the original, then hangs the program, never getting to the menus themselves.

Either way, both solutions don’t actually remove this structure protection as the contents of VIDEO_TS of these “copies” have the abnormally large file sizes despite the size of the media they are on. Unfortunately though, they do not play.

Is there a program out there that simply detects structure protection and the integrity of the files? At best to give me a name of this type of protection?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know that there’s an actual name for the protection…I’d start by google-ing ‘DVD Structure Protection’, seeing what that brings up, and then refining my search, or try to use something that was brought up as a new search parameter.

CSS is Content Scrambling System, Macrovision is now Analogue Protection, ARccOS is now bad sector protection, and I think after that they stopped naming the protections, and just referred to them based on what they do…

If that helps you at all…

OC

I don’t think there’s any protection since this is created by some program in the MAC.

@lahnipm, how can you not know what program is used to create the video? Either way, it looks to me like a program bug in creating a compliant DVD structure.

What format is the raw video? Can you not use a different program to convert to DVD format?

Perhaps you can use RipIt4Me to rip the DVD. It’ll blank all the unreferenced VTSs.

Do you know what VTS contains the real video and the menu? Play the VOB file directly in a software player to find out.

[QUOTE=toaddub;2285969]I don’t think there’s any protection since this is created by some program in the MAC.

@lahnipm, how can you not know what program is used to create the video? Either way, it looks to me like a program bug in creating a compliant DVD structure.

What format is the raw video? Can you not use a different program to convert to DVD format?

Perhaps you can use RipIt4Me to rip the DVD. It’ll blank all the unreferenced VTSs.

Do you know what VTS contains the real video and the menu? Play the VOB file directly in a software player to find out.[/QUOTE]

Taking the OP and his comments at face value (and I have yet found reason to do otherwise), he was merely a participant in the subject matter on the DVDs in question. He has not stated he was involved in its creation, and based on the problem he’s having duplicating it, I tend to believe that.

He bought these DVDs from someone else who, supposedly, created them, and is trying to back them up (not convert them to DVD format). He did mention there were two discs involved, and his problem is the second one. What that says about the first, I have no idea and am not speculating.

If this second disc is, in fact, sloppy mastering by a tyro at the controls, I have no idea how to get around it, except one of two possibilities.

Use the program that created it (I believe it is DVD Studio Pro, an expensive Mac program, more for pros) [B]OR[/B] talk a competent programmer into creating a utility that will allow one to alter the file attribute bits that are at the beginning of each individual file header on whatever medium it’s stored on, to see if conditions can be set to allow the correct files to be transferred off the DVD and fixed.

In the mess that is this particular DVD, we think we’ve found them - VTS_33_0-2, which includes IFO, BUP and VOB files that seem to meet the size requirements (and see the OP’s post with the *nix results for the other reason).

Any thoughts?

OC

[QUOTE=OCanada;2286015]Taking the OP and his comments at face value (and I have yet found reason to do otherwise), he was merely a participant in the subject matter on the DVDs in question. He has not stated he was involved in its creation, and based on the problem he’s having duplicating it, I tend to believe that.

He bought these DVDs from someone else who, supposedly, created them, and is trying to back them up (not convert them to DVD format). He did mention there were two discs involved, and his problem is the second one. What that says about the first, I have no idea and am not speculating.

If this second disc is, in fact, sloppy mastering by a tyro at the controls, I have no idea how to get around it, except one of two possibilities.

Use the program that created it (I believe it is DVD Studio Pro, an expensive Mac program, more for pros) [B]OR[/B] talk a competent programmer into creating a utility that will allow one to alter the file attribute bits that are at the beginning of each individual file header on whatever medium it’s stored on, to see if conditions can be set to allow the correct files to be transferred off the DVD and fixed.

In the mess that is this particular DVD, we think we’ve found them - VTS_33_0-2, which includes IFO, BUP and VOB files that seem to meet the size requirements (and see the OP’s post with the *nix results for the other reason).

Any thoughts?

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

Correct, I was the participant in an event that was recorded and the DVD was produced by a company. I bought 2 DVDs, one of the performance, the second of the awards. I have the same issues with both DVDs, they are just different in size/length.

I used k9copy (a linux program and only one that would tell me as such), which ones are actually a different size, despite all the files appearing the same size. This is how I deduced #33 (at least one 1 of the disks).

In additional developments, another friend of mine is helping me and I can mount this disk as both CD9660 and UDF. It is as if this is a hybrid disk of some sort, thus potentially confusing copy software. Is such a thing possible and if so, how do you get around this? Either way, it doesn’t answer the file size problems.