How does Nero CD-DVD Speed Advanced DAE Quality Test calculate CD drive offset?

vbimport

The thread title says it .

I wasn’t sure where to post this but since Nero CD-DVD Speed is part of it
I thought this might be the correct forum.

Nero CD-DVD Speed Reports offset as 756.
All other information suggests this is incorrect.

http://www.daefeatures.co.uk/search.php
DW1650 DVD±R/RW BCIC
YES NO NO NO LEAD IN +618 +66
+618 read offset & +66 the Write offset.

The Benq DD DW1650 isn’t in the AccurateRip drive database.
I guess it falls into this category:

A small number of drives have [Purged] as the offset, these drives were found not to have a constant drive offset (perhaps different manufacturing batches, or firmwares), as such they have been removed from AccurateRip’s drive database (should you have one of these drives, 3 matching key disks will be required to configure AccurateRip).

http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

I have only found one CD I have that will do the EAC “Detect read sample offset correction.”
The rest have shown “CD Not Found In Offset Database” .
Even if they are in the AccurateRip Key Discs database .
http://www.accuraterip.com/keydiscs.htm
The one I have that works is “Jewel: Pieces of You” .
I haven’t tried all of my CDs in the list but enough that I don’t trust the list a useable.
EAC finds +618 with the CD above.

With some .wav comparing this is what EAC finds.
+618 read offset & +66 the Write offset.
This matches the information I found at dae features.

According to http://club.myce.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/#post1540653 (if it doesn’t snap to the right post, it’s post #24, ctrl+F for “Offset”), CD-DVD Speed’s offset is read offset (for the drive, in this case the BenQ) + write offset (of whatever drive or device was responsible for burning the CD). It’s possible that CD-DVD Speed isn’t compensating for the offset on whatever made the CD, while EAC IS compensating by trying to use the database.

If you’re only concerned about reading, “618” is your number. If you’re concerned about whether the write offset of the BenQ is 138 or 66, I think using either EAC or CD-DVD Speed to create a test disc would help verify this. I’m inclined to think “66” is accurate unless it changed between firmware versions.

I can’t answer your question, but according to my own tests the BenQ DW1655 (and thus almost certainly the DW1650) has a read offset of +618.

I have written down that the write offset is +138 for “slow burning speeds”, but unfortunately I haven’t recorded what I mean by “slow” (probably up to at least 16x) and what the write offset is for faster write speeds.

[QUOTE=Albert;2759609]According to http://club.myce.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/#post1540653 (if it doesn’t snap to the right post, it’s post #24, ctrl+F for “Offset”), CD-DVD Speed’s offset is read offset (for the drive, in this case the BenQ) + write offset (of whatever drive or device was responsible for burning the CD). It’s possible that CD-DVD Speed isn’t compensating for the offset on whatever made the CD, while EAC IS compensating by trying to use the database. [/QUOTE]

Albert , The Benq is the burning drive for the CD -RW .
I burned the “Test CD” that Nero CD-DVD Speed does just for the Advanced DAE Quality Test .
This CD is of course not the one I used in EAC .
I didn’t try to even open this CD in EAC .
I may give that a try but I thought is was just data on it for the test.

To clear any confusion.
In EAC I used the only one I have that I know works for the EAC test.
It is a commercial CD.

[QUOTE=Albert;2759609]
If you’re only concerned about reading, “618” is your number. If you’re concerned about whether the write offset of the BenQ is 138 or 66, I think using either EAC or CD-DVD Speed to create a test disc would help verify this. I’m inclined to think “66” is accurate unless it changed between firmware versions.[/QUOTE]

I agree read 618 & write 66 are what I decided to use .
There is other files & software I’ve done some checks on this that I didn’t post. They also seem to indicate those .

How ever what Drage posted is also interesting.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2759610]I can’t answer your question, but according to my own tests the BenQ DW1655 (and thus almost certainly the DW1650) has a read offset of +618.

I have written down that the write offset is +138 for “slow burning speeds”, but unfortunately I haven’t recorded what I mean by “slow” (probably up to at least 16x) and what the write offset is for faster write speeds.[/QUOTE]

That may be information Nero CD-DVD Speed has .
If you add 618 + 138 you get 756 .
So I suppose it is possible that depending on the write speed either might be correct. Maybe +138 for up to 16 x & +66 for 16x & up.

@ Drage , This is the first time I’ve heard about a drive having a “slow” write speed offset & a “fast” write speed offset .
This appears to be the case with the Benq DD DW1650 .
If you have more information on this I would read it.
I haven’t googled for any but could probably find some.
I guess I’m not an old enough CD freak to have ran into this.

This is the Test CD -R written at 12x it indicates a +138 offset.
This was the slowest speed available for the CD -R I used.
Unless I need to know I’m not doing a 16x .
Usually I write a CD -R faster than 16x anyway.
I think all of my CD -RW’s are below 12x so the slower offset should be fine for those.
This is the 12x test it indicates a +138 write offset:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Offset
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3024 bytes (756 samples)

Sequential Read Test
Average Speed: 33.81 X
Data errors: 0
Sync errors: 0

Random Read Test
Average Access Time:  146 ms
Total Data Errors: 0
Total Sync Errors: 0
Quality Score: 100.0

On The Fly Copying Simulation
Copying at 1 x
OK
Copying at 2 x
OK
Copying at 4 x
OK
Copying at 6 x
OK
Copying at 8 x
OK
Copying at 10 x
OK
Copying at 12 x
OK
Copying at 16 x
too slow

CD Text
Drive is capable of reading CD Text information

Subchannel Data
Test 1
  Track (01): 01
  Relative position (01:05.00): 01:05.41 -> Error!
  Absolute position (01:07.00): 01:07.41 -> Error!
  Index (5): 5

Test 2
  Track (17): 23 -> Error!
  Relative position (01:33.00): 01:51.41 -> Error!
  Absolute position (33:35.00): 51:53.41 -> Error!
  Index (1): 1

Test 3
  Track (36): 53 -> Error!
  Relative position (00:00.00): 02:30.41 -> Error!
  Absolute position (70:02.00): 112:02.41 -> Error!

Lead-in
Drive can read max. 138 sectors (-00:01.63) from the Lead-in

Lead-out
Drive cannot read data from the Lead-out

Test completed
Elapsed Time:  0:17:28

This is a 32x test it indicates a +66 write offset:

Offset
2736 bytes (684 samples)

Sequential Read Test
Average Speed: 33.80 X

Random Read Test
Average Access Time:  146 ms
Total Data Errors: 0
Total Sync Errors: 0
Quality Score: 100.0

On The Fly Copying Simulation
Copying at 1 x
OK
Copying at 2 x
OK
Copying at 4 x
OK
Copying at 6 x
OK
Copying at 8 x
OK
Copying at 10 x
OK
Copying at 12 x
OK
Copying at 16 x
OK

CD Text
Drive is capable of reading CD Text information

Subchannel Data
Test 1
  Track (01): 01
  Relative position (01:05.00): 01:05.41 -> Error!
  Absolute position (01:07.00): 01:07.41 -> Error!
  Index (5): 5

Test 2
  Track (17): 23 -> Error!
  Relative position (01:33.00): 01:51.41 -> Error!
  Absolute position (33:35.00): 51:53.41 -> Error!

Test 3
  Track (36): 53 -> Error!
  Relative position (00:00.00): 02:30.41 -> Error!
  Absolute position (70:02.00): 112:02.41 -> Error!

Lead-in
Drive can read max. 138 sectors (-00:01.63) from the Lead-in

Lead-out
Drive cannot read data from the Lead-out

Test completed
Elapsed Time:  0:17:35

My tests with the BenQ DW1655 were more than 9 years ago, so I don’t remember much about it.
Your post suggests that my notes about different write offsets at different speeds are correct. I usually burned Audio CDs at 16x to minimize jitter, so the +138 write offset is probably valid for 16x as well.