How does a CD/DVD writer work?

I was discussing copying DVD’s with a customer the other day and he asked me how does a DVD burn and I said it uses a chemical layer somehow - then he asked me but how does a RW work - I said I have NFI.

Anyone care to enlighten me ?

Hi there , welcome to the forum.

Perhaps my article can be of any assistance ?

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Hi there , welcome to the forum.

Perhaps my article can be of any assistance ? [/B]

Nice article. Do u have any links to actual photos of magnified dvd/cd r/rw surfaces?

Nope , sorry. I have seen some magnified pictures of cd-roms somewhere in the technology forums.

Thx Mr Belvedere - much appreciated.

Interestingly you mention If archive and backup companies are to invest in Blu-Ray as a storage technology, they would like some real evidence that the data stored on a BD will stay intact for a very long time.

Isnt there evidence that current DVD discs can deteriorate after a relatively short time. I saw an article about a fellow in Queensland I think, whos DVD collection was affected by oxidation or something like that. Whether they are origionals or recorded wasnt specified in the article I read.

Originally posted by Wild0ne
Thx Robin - much appreciated.

The blue period of lasers - A little science first

Posted by Robin on 27 July 2002

The blue period of lasers

Author: Mr. Belvedere - Date: 27-7-2002

Robin Just posted it, Mr. B wrote it.:slight_smile:

Originally posted by Wild0ne
DVD discs can deteriorate after a relatively short time. I saw an article about a fellow in Queensland I think, whos DVD collection was affected by oxidation or something like that. Whether they are origionals or recorded wasnt specified in the article I read.

There is evidence for cd-r(w)'s. They did an extensive test with lots of cd’s here in The Netherlands. They put some discs inside a safe for more than a year , only to find out most of them were practically unreadable , especially the very very cheap brands.

I haven’t seen a DVD test yet , but i think it’s fairly the same here. The crappier (usually cheaper) the media is , the less protection it has , and thus … rots.

Interesting. I shall have to try and dig up the article for you.

Is there a difference to the way that store bought DVD’s are manufactured to the method used by DVD/CD burners ?

Apparently there is quite a bit of evidence available for DVD rot - or delamination.

a google of “DVD ROT” produced 10 pages of results - heres a few.

A bad case of DVD rot eats into movie collections -
www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/31/1043804519345.html

DVD Deterioration?
http://www.andraste.org/discfault/discfault.htm

DVD TROUBLE SHOOTING
http://www.warnervision.com.au/troubleshooting.asp

From what I can gather it only affects commercial dual layer dvd’s.

Another good reason for copying I dare say.

I can imagine the problems that will arise when cheap DL blank media becomes available. Perhaps a “sticky” now wouldnt be untimely.