How do you watch x.BUP, x.IFO and/or x.VOB Files?

vbimport

Hi… I have archived movies on a USB drive while using my PC. I’m a bit new to figuring out the actual video files technical names so bear with me. So I plug that USB drive into my iMac and I see my directories and movies. When I open the actual movie folder, I see multiple files, a row of dark grey boxes that say “exec” on them and under them VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO.

Under that row I find several files with a different icon, and VTS_01_1.VOB, and in this case there are five (5) of these VOB files, each numbered sequentially so the last one is VTS_01_5.VOB.

I have a AppleTV (Gen1/40Gig internal drive), and what I want to do is set up my external USB drive as the source, and then use the ATV to stream my movies, by-passing the internal drive. But what I want to know is what the above files are, and how to play a movie direct from the files start to finish? If I click on one of the VOB files the movie starts playing but its only a section of the movie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Most software players look for the Video_TS folder, rather than the individual files within them.

Using a player like VLC on a computer, you can also use the Video_TS.IFO file as the input. Don’t know about your AppleTV however, as I’ve never even seen one.

Thanks for the rply… So will a player like VLC actually sift through all the files itself and just play the entire movie or do you have to load one file at a time?

VLC will play the entire movie from the Video_TS folder. Go to Media, then Open Folder to navigate to the place on the hard drive where you have the folder. Ctrl F does the same thing.

I was just using VLC as an example though. Since I don’t use Apple products, I’m not sure which player is considered best for dvd playback in that system.

.ifo files have no content and cannot be played back, same for .bup, because they are backup files of .ifo…

While IFO files may not contain content, SW players e.g. VLC, Mediaplayerclassic for instance will play complete flick by importing/opening VIDEO_TS.IFO or VTS_01_0.IFO for example…

^Correct. IFO files contain navigational information for the video and software players can use them as the input for playback of the entire dvd video.

I normally just use the Video_TS folder as the input into my software player however.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2557349]While IFO files may not contain content, SW players e.g. VLC, Mediaplayerclassic for instance will play complete flick by importing/opening VIDEO_TS.IFO or VTS_01_0.IFO for example…[/QUOTE]
Might as well add WMP to the list. The only way I’ve found to play a DVD compliant folder (VIDEO_TS) from the hard drive with WMP is to open the
VIDEO_TS.ifo file. WMP 11 in my case.
Most of the time I don’t use WMP though.

What I’m wanting to do is eventually either hook up the drive to the AppleTV or the iMac and stream the movies via ethernet from the Airport/Switch to the ATV upstairs where my TV is. So would I have to access the drive from the iMac (downstairs) then run up and watch the movie or is there a hack that will let the ATV “find” these movies on the system and play them with either VLC, MediaPlayerClassic, or WMP?

Would I be better off transferring the movies to a “native” mac format?

MediaPlayer Classic and Windows Media Player are Windows based programs, so if you are using Mac OS X operating system, you won’t be able to use these.

VLC does have a version for Macs, and can be used to stream video. But as I mentioned before, I am ignorant of the capabilities of your Apple TV. Perhaps you should inquire at a forum dedicated to that system? http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2557360]^Correct. IFO files contain navigational information for the video and software players can use them as the input for playback of the entire dvd video.

I normally just use the Video_TS folder as the input into my software player however.[/QUOTE]

I fully agree. I did say nothing else. :flower:

Just thought I’d come back and post an update for anyone using a mac and a Gen1 AppleTV… although I think you could do most of this with a PC as well. I’m using the jailbroken AppleTV upstairs which is connected to my TV via HDMI, and to my iMac via ethernet Cat6 (brand-new), and in turn… the movies are archived on a USB drive sitting on my desktop down here. Playback is excellent, and I think its because I’m using original DVD source material and its hard-wired although I tested wireless and it also worked.

Quite happy with XMBC and BOXEE… actually using the BOXEE app to select, view, control, and catalogue the movies with thumbnails and descriptions. Its a pretty smooth setup, max resolution is 720P, but then most of my videos are 480p anyway. Optimized movie playback format is MP4 and Handbrake is the tool I use to archive in that format.

Bluerays are an altogether different animal, and I don’t have that many yet in my collection. I really haven’t delved into that yet… given that the quality would be limited to 720P. Maybe someday.