How do YOU store your DVD-Rs?

Hi, I’ve been burning DVD-Rs for a couple of months now and have accumulated over 100+ DVD-Rs, all with jewel cases. These are now starting to take up waaaaay too much room so I am looking at alternatives to storing DVDs.

The storage should keep DVDs safe, also be able to display the contents of the DVD-R while trying to avoid having to write on the DVD (since my handwriting suX)… atm all I can come up with is slimline CD cases with the paper labels I get from the jewel cases…

Anyway, what do you guys use to store DVD-Rs?

I use either spindles or the zipper cases. The big cases can hold a ton of discs without taking up much room.

I have two of the cases above. Each can hold 4 50-spindles worth of discs, but yet each takes up less space than 4 spindles.

Are those CD wallets safe for storing DVDs in the long term?

Also, is there a place to put labels, etc to show what’s on the disc??

CD wallets are looking like a good alternative as well :slight_smile:

Originally posted by qwertasdf
[B]Are those CD wallets safe for storing DVDs in the long term?

Also, is there a place to put labels, etc to show what’s on the disc??

CD wallets are looking like a good alternative as well :slight_smile: [/B]

The only thing “safe” is spindles or jewel cases. Wallets and sleeves of any kind have been shown to cause a variety of problems with CD’s.

The same way as CD/DVDs.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The only thing “safe” is spindles or jewel cases. Wallets and sleeves of any kind have been shown to cause a variety of problems with CD’s.

looks at my number of discs stored in mega-wallets Oops.

Originally posted by code65536
looks at my number of discs stored in mega-wallets Oops.

Check the ones on the bottom first, I suspect that pressure, plastic sleeves and warmth are not a good combination. Many people have no trouble, but others have lost a lot of CD’s that way. I use one too, but only for pressed CD’s.

I put them in the same zipper binders in which I store my CD-Rs.

Haven’t had any problems yet. (Mind you I store the binders on their sides, not in piles. That way the wieght of the discs is not disproportionally pressing down on the very bottom layer.)

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
[B]I put them in the same zipper binders in which I store my CD-Rs.

Haven’t had any problems yet. (Mind you I store the binders on their sides, not in piles. That way the wieght of the discs is not disproportionally pressing down on the very bottom layer.) [/B]

nods That’s what I’ve been doing, too. Though sometimes I am not too good about putting them back in the right position. Hehe. Oops. But wouldn’t having them stacked in a spindle create a lot of pressure, too?

Originally posted by qwertasdf
[B]Hi, I’ve been burning DVD-Rs for a couple of months now and have accumulated over 100+ DVD-Rs, all with jewel cases. These are now starting to take up waaaaay too much room so I am looking at alternatives to storing DVDs.

The storage should keep DVDs safe, also be able to display the contents of the DVD-R while trying to avoid having to write on the DVD (since my handwriting suX)… atm all I can come up with is slimline CD cases with the paper labels I get from the jewel cases…

Anyway, what do you guys use to store DVD-Rs? [/B]

Send them all to me.

I promise to take very good care of them for you. :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I use the small slimcases to store either dvd’s and cd’s. They work perfect and take half the space in size. You can order them right here or at a good convenience store/ shop. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by code65536
nods That’s what I’ve been doing, too. Though sometimes I am not too good about putting them back in the right position. Hehe. Oops. But wouldn’t having them stacked in a spindle create a lot of pressure, too?

I believe the middle part of cdr’s, and hopefully dvdr’s, is slightly raised so one disc surface does not touch another - not true if you place too many into 10/20 slipboxes and screw on the top part of the case - this forces the discs ro turn and rub against one another and the dye layer normally gets very scathed.

I have 4000+ cdr’s (Kodak/Mitsui/TY) stored in plastic wallets - not seen any trouble yet - and where possible, I store them upright. The time will come to archive a few hundred 80 minuter’s to one high-density medium :slight_smile:

You can get large matal storage cases (similar to those used by DJs for vinyl) that store CDs inside them vertically. I think www.blankdiscshop.co.uk has them.

What’s about white unprinted paper sleeves ?

I’ve stored some CD-Rs in these paper sleeves.
Don’t take much space and you can write on them.

Any dangers with this storage method :confused:

Andy :smiley:

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]What’s about white unprinted paper sleeves ?

I’ve stored some CD-Rs in these paper sleeves.
Don’t take much space and you can write on them.

Any dangers with this storage method :confused:[/B]

Discs stored in this method would be vulnerable to being crushed under the wieghts of other discs and other items.

It takes alot of effort to crush a disc if its on a plain surface…

Originally posted by Airhead
It takes alot of effort to crush a disc if its on a plain surface…

Agreed.

Although in a plastic sleeve, it’s easier to bend the disc as well if the forces on it are not uniformily distributed.

This kind of bending is avoided when you put the disc in a hard caddy.

I’ll have a look at some good CD wallets tomorrow… does anyone know of some good brands? I’ve heard of Case Logic and Fellowes here…

I hope they will be fine for storing DVDs since it would be pretty stupid buying top quality DVD-Rs (Taiyo Yuden) only to neglect their storage

Originally posted by qwertasdf
I’ll have a look at some good CD wallets tomorrow… does anyone know of some good brands? I’ve heard of Case Logic and Fellowes here…

I’ve been using the CDProjects brand for almost a year now and have not had any problems.

i usually put them in a dry area, if not, a box with them gel silica packets to keep the area dry and free of moisture, because moisture can cause disc to :frowning: