How do you make CD images like the XP 8in1?

vbimport

If anyone knows how to make highly compressed(?) CD images like the Windows XP 8in1 CD…please let me know. I could backup my system with relative ease if I could fit 8 times the regular CD amount on a single CD-R.

Given that this info is not directly related to piracy, I’ll allow it (but still move it).

But the CD’s in question are almost all exacyly the same, only with an installer that dolls out different files depending on the selected installer.

So you’re saying that it reuses the files? I know that some advanced drive mapping was used to boot the individual distributions but if you browse it, it seems like there are completely separate folders and with their own contents. Also, I’ve seen a similar cd that combined the Visual Studio suite down to a single CD and those would presumably have different contents on each CD…would they not?

The guys that do this are cleverer than us, the same way i guess as they get a 3 disc game down to 150 megs - cut out all the crap and compress everything else

If you are still interested in knowing how to do it, here are the instructions.
http://www.geocities.com/khauyeung/nin1.htm

Originally posted by kay_storms
Also, I’ve seen a similar cd that combined the Visual Studio suite down to a single CD and those would presumably have different contents on each CD…would they not?

Thats not hard to do most cd’s are filled with crap (ie. help files). The main programs which are in an installer most of the time are only about 100mb, so you can quite easily fit the visual studio dvd on a single cd as the main programs which is what you want are only really taking up a small part of it.

The guys that do this are cleverer than us, the same way i guess as they get a 3 disc game down to 150 megs - cut out all the crap and compress everything else
no need to compress anything usually a 3 cd game has one cd of music another of fmv sequences and the other is just the actual game, so you can drop 2 cd’s straight away and cut out all the crap like drivers, 3rd party progs like gamespy and shit, then remove the references to these files in the main installer by replacing it with your own installer and there you go a basic way of cutting a 3 cd game down to the basic game.

There are a few more things that also need to be done but im not going into that.

Hmmm…

I remember seeing something about this a while back ago. the 8in1 kind of touches a gray area, but if you have the legitmate licensing then you should be ok. Such as this example.

If you own 4 licenses for say, Win98/98, xp, me and 2000, you can have them on a cd, but you have to have a license for each machine. Each machine!! So if you by more machines, you need to by more licenses!! So the 5th machine would need another licnse!!

Actually, the windows XP 8in1 cd is mastered with a program called cdimage. Since you are going to have 8 versions of relatively the same i386 folder, what this program does is replace the files with links.

IE. Say you have one file called sfc_os.dll in each of the i386 folders for 8 copies of windows. The program keeps on of the files, and the other 7 files are replaced with a link to the one file that was kept.

]Bonkers[

Yup … cdimage is the tool used for these purposes … Basically one has to use the -o in it so that duplicated files are encoded only once instead of many times…