How do you know which media to buy?

I’ve had a 411s since January and I have to say it’s doing my head in. I’ve tried a range of brands and formats, and every time I think I’ve found the right combination, the next time I burn one it goes wrong again.

I understand that the ‘brand’ of the disc is nothing to go by and that its the manufacturer that counts – but how do you know who the manufacturer is before you buy the damn thing?!?

Can anyone tell me whether DVD+Rs branded as Verbatim are generally reliable? I have been using their DVD-Rs but the last couple I’ve burnt off have been coasters.

Seems like recordable DVD is such a mine-field!! Why would it be this way?!? How about standalone DVD recorders (you know, for recording TV etc) - do they have this much problem? Would drive the average consumer nuts!!!

you may well have a crappy burner, can’t say without seeing scans on a range of media. Verbatim sells at least 4 different kinds of media in the same packages, so avoid anything that doesn’t say made in Singapore on it. Best thing fit LiteOn is TY, Maxell and Mitsubishi, in that order. For more info, read everything in my sig and visit the media forum.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
you may well have a crappy burner, can’t say without seeing scans on a range of media. Verbatim sells at least 4 different kinds of media in the same packages, so avoid anything that doesn’t say made in Singapore on it. Best thing fit LiteOn is TY, Maxell and Mitsubishi, in that order. For more info, read everything in my sig and visit the media forum.

Generally I find verbatim to be pretty consistent here in OZ. I’ve never found anything but MCC in their DVD+R rebadges :slight_smile:

CDR though. They have datalife vs Datalife plus, two types of CDR, the datalife you can never be sure whats in those. CMC/Ritek/miscellanious phalocyanine.
Datalife Plus CDR is always Mitsubishi CC cyanines.

In the USA, you can find 3 or 4 different DVD+/- media in the exact same Verbatim DataLifePlus packages.

I have downloaded kprobe and started scanning several of my successful and unsuccessful burns. Problem is I can’t figure out how to upload them successfully. The Forum seems to want me to include either a hypertext link to it but I have no webspace to do that - or attach a file under 50k but these are at least 75k as a gif. Perhaps I can e-mail them to one of you?!?

Originally posted by steve98
I have downloaded kprobe and started scanning several of my successful and unsuccessful burns. Problem is I can’t figure out how to upload them successfully. The Forum seems to want me to include either a hypertext link to it but I have no webspace to do that - or attach a file under 50k but these are at least 75k as a gif. Perhaps I can e-mail them to one of you?!?

Please read the Kprobe tutorial, then you will know how to save the graphs as PNG insread if gif.

OK - thanks for that. Attached is a kprobe scan of a movie I burnt last week. Kprobe actually stopped readin the disc at 54% due to an unrecoverable data read error - and the scan looks awful to me but I’m no expert. The funny thing is that if I skip through the chapters and watch the first few seconds of each, it plays fine right up to the last chapter, but when you watch more than 10 minutes of it it starts to break up and then becomes unreadable until you’ve taken it out of the player and given it a rest for an hour or two. Real odd.

I will attach some more soon…

Here is another one which was ‘successful’ - it plays in my players no problems. But the scan still looks awful… doesn’t it?

Here’s a scan of a movie that neither of my standalones can read… usually. The weird thing is that sometimes - they can read it. Odd.

Finally ---- and this the weird part – here is a scan of the SAME disc as the last scan, but in my DVD-ROM instead of the 411s. Wildly different results. What does this mean?

It means the media you are using is quite frankly crap.

Maximum PIPO of 280/32 for a readable disk.

PI is in spec.
PO is unreadable.

Your DVD drive is scanning at lower speed for the first part of the disc. The LDW811 would also be reading it at lower speed, if you didn’t have the speed set at 4X.

Lower reading speed will lower the errors.

What it says is that the disc is quite frankly rooted.

I’d take the remainder of the spindle back and throw it at the person who sold it to you :stuck_out_tongue: It doesn’t look like the media is gonna be good for anything else, and at least you will get some satisfaction from your purchase :slight_smile:

Yes it is maddening to have to go on an easter egg hunt for media!

I’ve had great luck with Ritek G-04s from MeritLine, however I ordered some from NewEgg and they’ve been sucking!

I’ve heard the early G04s were quite variable in quality and that the quality came up last fall, so I wonder if NewEgg isn’t selling some old stock?

I dunno, but it gets agravating to have to burn stuff several times to get it to work so I bit the bullet and ordered some TY -Rs, they’ll be in Monday - I’ll be curious to see how they do. I paid about a $1.60 each, which looks high on the surface compared to the Riteks and such but if I can truly burn and forget without having to burn, kprobe, possibly reburn, etc. then it’ll be worth it.

-Bob-

I wouldn’t say your media is crap. TDK G02 and Ritek G04 are generally regarded as among the best. I have been burning TDK exclusively (both -R “TDKG02” and -RW “TDK502sakuM3”) for the past two months w/firmware FS0H and NO coasters. No, I don’t know the Kprobe results, don’t need to know. They pass the real life test of being playable in all the players I have. Not sure I trust Kprobe anyway.

If you have overclocked your PC, change it back to normal and try again. Might try FS0H for grins too. Be sure DMA mode is enabled. Otherwise I’d say your burner is bad, or marginal to say the least.

There are only 2 possible explanations for those scans, bad drive or bad media. (or both).

Actually, there’s a 3rd explanation, that the media is just not compatable with the drive, but those scans exceed what I would generally accept as “incompatable media”.

Arent the kprobe scans supposed to be done at 8x ecc? steve98
scans are at 1x ecc and did you update with the newest firmware?

Hi John, yes I am running FS0J firmware - not sure what you mean about the ECC speed. I am new to this - I ticked the ‘max’ box for speed in the Write Strategy screen, then clicked ‘start’ - is this wrong? I hope so!! Also I’ve read elsewhere that for best results with using -R media I should flash back to FS0F firmware - can anyone comment on this? I have just ordered some RitekG04s - will this be okay with FS0J?

Originally posted by johnisme
Arent the kprobe scans supposed to be done at 8x ecc? steve98
scans are at 1x ecc and did you update with the newest firmware?

I suspect that makes it even worse.
PIPO errors for 8x ECC should be something like 4/35.

hi there,

i have the same probs with my 411. can anyone tell me what to do ? remeber that throwing my computer out of the window is not an option :wink:

here my scans :

sorry for that one wit ECC=1 … the last one looks nice to me, but i dunno where to get those discs ( this one was bundled with my burner, no label, nothing ). but as you can see, the other ricoh media was crap …

can anyone please post link for 411 firmwares ? would like to try fs0f/fs0h, but the only link i found was broken.

just another question :

should i try to put the burner into my other pc ? would you expect better results ( on this one i have tons of programms and stuff installed, the other one is for videoedit only ). and should i use another burning software ? i have nero 5, should i upgrade to nero 6 ?

:confused:

First, here is the link to firmware.
I would recomend FS0F if you use DVD-R media.

Regarding the scans; I have hard to compare to our scans. The normal Kprobe settings on this board are: 4X speed PI/PO ECC=8. (Untick “max”.)

Go for latest Nero if you wanna upgrade that one. I use 5.5.10.52 with good comatibility and results.
And dont forget RecordNow DX on your bundled CD.

BTW, I like your signature: someone here has to tell the TRUTH.