How do you Install DVD-RAM Support for Sony Drive?

I have a Sony DW-G120A and a LG GSA-4040B DVD Burner in my win2k box. Both drives are RAM capable.

The LG burner came with a driver disc that had the LG RAM drivers on it. It was as simple as running the install program and then windows recognized it and added it as a removable disk.

The Sony burner brought a disc with only Nero essentials on it. Sony’s website is useless. Is there a sony ram driver out there or any way to modify the ram driver installed to support the DW-G120A? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi and Welcome,

at first, don’t even think about installing Nero InCD if you have Panasonic’s DVD-RAM driver installed (this is, what came with your LG).

At first, get the latest Updater for your DVD-RAM driver from http://www.bhacorp.com/download/utilities/dvdram.html
Don’t run the executable, but unzip it into a folder of your choice. 7-Zip (www.7-zip.org) is a good solution if your unzipping tool fails.
You will find a file named DVDRAM.INF there, that has to be edited in order to have your drive supported by the driver. It’s a good idea to make a backup of that file at first.
You need to apply these changes to the file using your favourite text editor:

[Manufacturer]
%PANASONIC%	= Panasonic_DVDRAM.Mfg
(...)
%LITE-ON%       = LITE-ON_DVDRAM.Mfg
[B]%SONY%		= SONY_DVDRAM.Mfg[/B]
(...)
;==========================================================
;  Device List
;----------------------------------------------------------

; Panasonic 
[Panasonic_DVDRAM.Mfg]
(...)
; LITE-ON
[LITE-ON_DVDRAM.Mfg]
%LITE-ON_SHM-165P6S_devdesc%	= dvdram_Inst,IDE\CdRomLITE-ON_DVDRW_SHM-165P6S________________

[B];----------------------------------------------------------
; SONY
[SONY_DVDRAM.Mfg]

; SCSI/IDE(Intel IDE Driver)/USB
%SONY_DVD_RW_DW-G120A_devdesc%	= dvdram_Inst,SONY____DVD_RW_DW-G120A

; IDE(Microsoft)

%SONY_DVD_RW_DW-G120A_devdesc%	= dvdram_Inst,IDE\CdRomSONY____DVD_RW_DW-G120A_________________[/B]
(...)

(Maybe you have to replace DW-G120A by DW-G120AM, but I am not sure)

[Strings.0411]

;  Manufacturer specific strings

PANASONIC	= "Panasonic"
(...)
LITE-ON		= "LITE-ON"
[B]SONY		= "SONY"[/B]
(...)
;  Descriptions for enumerated brands and models
(...)
LITE-ON_SHM-165P6S_devdesc      = "LITE-ON_SHM-165P6S"
[B]SONY_DVD_RW_DW-G120A_devdesc = "SONY DVD RW DW-G120A"[/B]
(...)

Nearly the same as above:

[Strings]

;  Manufacturer specific strings

PANASONIC	= "Panasonic"
(...)
LITE-ON		= "LITE-ON"
[B]SONY		= "SONY"[/B]
(...)
;  Descriptions for enumerated brands and models
(...)
LITE-ON_SHM-165P6S_devdesc      = "LITE-ON_SHM-165P6S"
[B]SONY_DVD_RW_DW-G120A_devdesc = "SONY DVD RW DW-G120A"[/B]
(...)

I added the modifications for the Liteon SHW-165P6S, too, as it is the same drive, and many people crossflash their Sony drive with Liteon firmware.

After you have modified the DVDRAM.INF file, run the Setup.exe that is located in the same folder. You existing driver will be updated, including support for your drive.
I personally could not manage to run my drive with these drivers, as there seems to be a problem with that driver and USB connected drives.
So, please report back if you were successful or not.

Michael

Actually, there may be a MUCH easier way to accomplish RAM support for the Sony.

Go to device manager, select the Sony drive from the “DVD/CDROM Drives” list. Select properties, the driver, then “update driver”. Select the option for “display a list of known drivers” and there should be a selection for RAM. Select that and you should be done.

I would like to thank you guys for posting your solutions. You have no idea how happy I am to get the Ram feature of this drive working :slight_smile: My Divx DVD player supports RAM so its just a matter of click and dragging avi’s and deleting them as I watch them. Its much better then writing from beginning to end of a DVD-RW all the time.

Mciahel, It looks like you put a lot of time into your response formating it nicely and the effort is very much appreciated.

I tried CDan’s solution first since it was just a few clicks to figure out if it would work or not. And in an instant it did work so I never got around to manually adding support in the DVDRAM.inf file.

In my case the list of drivers windows presented me with was a Generic CD-ROM and DVD-RAM. It was so simply to choose that I wondered why Sony couldn’t just print CDan’s 3 sentence instructions on the box or even in the manual.

Mciahel perhaps you could try to update the drivers from the “display a list of known drivers” for your usb burner if you haven’t already tried.

I tried the cross-flashing thing before with my drive but didn’t notice any difference from the latest sony firmware so I just flashed it back to a sony. I’m not a dvdrw enthusiasts of any kind performing a bunch of benchmarks and test to measure any performance gain so there might be something in the lite-on firmware I’m not aware of. As long as my burn discs come out without error I’m good.

Once again thanks. I couldn’t find this exact information anywhere else on the net and it was all I needed.

Hi,

You’re very welcome! Glad you are up and running.

I tried CDan’s solution first since it was just a few clicks to figure out if it would work or not. And in an instant it did work so I never got around to manually adding support in the DVDRAM.inf file.
I just forgot to mention that method - it is by far easier. But it is still a good idea to install the latest drivers on top of your existing ones.

In my case the list of drivers windows presented me with was a Generic CD-ROM and DVD-RAM. It was so simply to choose that I wondered why Sony couldn’t just print CDan’s 3 sentence instructions on the box or even in the manual.
Well, they didn’t license Panasonic’s drivers and support Nero’s InCD instead - like nearly all manufacturers of DVD-RAM capable drives. The method described by CDan is documented here:
http://www.bhacorp.com/support/faq_dvdram/01.html#2
BHA is the company, that sells Panasonic’s driver as part of their software. Older LG drives came with a copy of BHA’s burning software instead of Nero.

Mciahel perhaps you could try to update the drivers from the “display a list of known drivers” for your usb burner if you haven’t already tried.
Thanks, I have tried already. There seems to be an issue with that driver together with USB drives or drives, that are “powered” by 3rd party drivers. According to the readme.txt the driver only supports MS ATAPI driver.
This doesn’t hurt me very much as I have a LG drive IDE connected that works fine here:)

I tried the cross-flashing thing before with my drive but didn’t notice any difference from the latest sony firmware so I just flashed it back to a sony. (…) As long as my burn discs come out without error I’m good.
That’s okay - crossflashing is merely something for CD freaks :bigsmile:

Greets,
Michael