How Do You Describe Color To A Blind Man?

On your lunch break at work, every day you go outside and sit in the park on one of the benches and eat your food.

Every working day for 2 weeks a blind man makes his way to the same bench and you end up talking.

You find out that he has been blind since birth, likes to eat fruit (specifically oranges, apples and bananas) and is generally curious about everything.

One day, he holds up the orange he is about to peel and asks you to describe the color to him.

What do you say?

you can’t

visuals are based on comparing stuff…and since he is blind friom birth…there is nothing to compare

The fruit you hold now has the color orange , hence the name of the fruit.

It will best let itself describe in warmth.

Surfaces which are metallic and cold are usually reflective (light completely bounces off) or completely absorb the light rays.

This effects in the darkness you are unfortunately quite familiar with.

However , light has another feature. Light comes from the sun and also produces various grades of heat.

The orange is like the heat of a flame , absorbing little lightpower and giving the fruit its special color.

To put it in a little perspective : When comparing the color orange with other colors ; Think of the orange color as an almost touchable slow flame , the soft spot of the flame.

nice description

A color is only that color bcause we all agree it is that color…but it is just a name…

Orange would be no different if we had called it Blue… (wrote a little peace on this subject once…called ‘Nothing’)

Have you ever wondered if blind people dream? Please ask him for me. How would they be?

There is no blind man – this is a hypothetical question.

lol

are you blind !

:bigsmile:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]The fruit you hold now has the color orange , hence the name of the fruit.

It will best let itself describe in warmth.

Surfaces which are metallic and cold are usually reflective (light completely bounces off) or completely absorb the light rays.

This effects in the darkness you are unfortunately quite familiar with.
.
.
.[/B]

Just wondering, Mr. B, your English is pretty neat… I know this may sound ridiculous, but you’ve learned English on your own or went to school? I know some ppl who have learned just by themselves.

As for the blind man, is better for him to know that you don’t know what colour is that. Colours do not exist. They’re just another mean of communication between human beings. They’re just words, as the always wise Da_Tax already said.

Tell him also that dogs are colourblind. It will make him feel a litlle better. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by RedHatted
[B]

Just wondering, Mr. B, your English is pretty neat… I know this may sound ridiculous, but you’ve learned English on your own or went to school?.. [/B]

I think he has learned it. It’s indeed very correct and neat english. I’ve tought it myself (watching movies mainly), and though i can make myself understandable it has its flaws and imperfections. Even at school they can’t teach me the perfectly correct english, because the "american’ english has become my near-native speech. See it as quitting with smoking, it’s that difficult to change my speech.

mzzls

Very interesting responses.

I asked some people and 3 had no idea, but 1 person was thinking along the same lines as Mr. Belvedere, except that Mr. B has explained it a lot more.

However, no-one has been able to find any relation to anything in regards to a red apple or a yellow banana.

@Tax: Want to post your piece ‘Nothing’?

Hypothetical question my ass. That’s one very long introduction and a lot of effort for a hypothetical question…

Cmon folks, why can’t you just admit the facts, instead of refering to things as “my friend did this” or “say there is this guy.”

I got a feeling this is about a real person…

Maybe not… I dunno. Uhhhh… Check out my picture - Elvis popping pills! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
I got a feeling this is about a real person…

Sorry to disappoint you, but one night I couldnt sleep and my mind was drifting and this scenario appeared.

Originally posted by theunbeatable
[B]

I think he has learned it. It’s indeed very correct and neat english. I’ve tought it myself (watching movies mainly), and though i can make myself understandable it has its flaws and imperfections. Even at school they can’t teach me the perfectly correct english, because the "american’ english has become my near-native speech. See it as quitting with smoking, it’s that difficult to change my speech.

mzzls [/B]

Let’s just say i chatted a LOT with English , American and French people in a chatroom :slight_smile:

I hardly read Dutch books anymore as well. I’ve just started reading a couple of Tom Clancy’s NetForce books and currently i’m reading The complete adventures of Sherlock Holmes. (Very tiny textfont and a lot of pages)

When i watch a movie on BBC , i pop on CeeFax page 888 (Subtitling for the deaf) :slight_smile:

If you’d hear me talking English you would think i’m a Nazi on steroids :slight_smile:

Like Arnold Schwarzenneger? :wink:

Yeah, his dad was a Nazi officer in fact… Is that where he got the accent??? :confused: :wink:

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
Have you ever wondered if blind people dream?

This is indeed a important question.

Do they dream in black/white, in colour or don’t they dream (this isn’t the case I think)??

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]This is indeed a important question.

Do they dream in black/white, in colour or don’t they dream (this isn’t the case I think)??[/B]

Can you (or anyone for that matter) say whether you dream in color? :wink:

Originally posted by Savannah
[B]

Can you (or anyone for that matter) say whether you dream in color? :wink: [/B]

Noone really remembers if the dream was colourful even if he tries to remember it, just after he is awaken… Freud did a research on that.

in color

It isn’t actually too hard to remember a dream.

For example, If I have a dream about getting it on with a girl, I’ll remember it the whole day.

If it is a dream about some important material, I’ll remember it.

Blind people might not dream about normal objects, since they’ve never seen them (the ones born blind). What would their mind make up?