How do you cut an audio file?

OK hey guys, i was wondering if anyone here can answer my question. I have bought a new phone and i called the manufacturer and they said that i can put and mp3 as my ring tone as long as it is 600kb or .6Mb small. Is their any FREE software that can enable to cut mp3 audio files, like cutting 20 seconds off of a whole song? :slight_smile:

Audacity is a free audio editor. Give it a try :slight_smile:

Here’s another one: mp3DirectCut :slight_smile:

I like Nero. Download the 30 day trial version which comes with the Wave Editor which is what will allow you to edit your audio files.

I think Audacity and MP3 Direct Cut are both very cool apps, and the fact that they are free is a super bonus.

Here is a direct link to the Audacity site:

Good stuff, even if the Audacity interface could use a bit of an update to be more streamlined.

Thanks guys, ive tried Audacity and nero 7, both work well. thanks agian, the forums can now be locked.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

:eek: do you really want to lock all forums? :stuck_out_tongue:

ops sry, i meant this topic. lol

Actually, if you use Audacity you will be going from mp3->wav->mp3 which is a bad thing as you lose a load of quality when you keep converting from lossy to lossy codecs. Mp3directcut edits the mp3 files without re-encoding them, so no quality is lost from the original mp3 file.

Good point, that.

:bow: I just learnt a new thing :slight_smile:

I’m thinking though, that unless you have bionic ears, you probably won’t notice much diff if you decode to wav the ren-encode to MP3, provided it is at the same kbps as the original MP3.

I know for instance that if I have a 192kbps MP3 that I encoded with Fast Fraunhoffer and I reconvert it to 192kbps using iTunes 7 (to make sure all the headers and file structures are 100% compliant so they work with all the apple stuff like iMovie and iDVD), the difference is negligible. Why? Cause the same algorithms are used to process the same frequencies the same way. Much of the core data remains essentially untouched, provided you are using the same encoding method, or so it would seem based upon my own listening tests and the research I have been doing about the subject. :slight_smile:

Thing is, if you can preserve the quality, you should. Once it’s gone, it’s not coming back.

I agree totally.

Thankfully, MP3 is NOT like JPG. How MP3 gets most of its compression is by stripping out frequencies that are not that key to the particular track. It’s designed to preserve the core frequencies. So, if you take a song and rip it with Lame 3.97 Final using AudioGrabber 1.83 with the same settings, and then convert it again using those same exact settings and that same Lame 3.97 Final, they should sound VERY close to each other and the file size should be VERY close as well.

Hope that makes sense.

In looking at this particular application - a phone ringing thing - fidelity would probably not be that key, right?

Yes, but the other way that they save space is by representing a whole chunk of sound with less bits. If you analyse the spectrum in image form you can see a sort of “pixellation”, which is the other part where mp3 saves space/loses quality.

But yeah, on a phone it would probably sound as good at half the bitrate, so anyway…

Personally, I use WavePad by NCH Swift Sound.