How do you create m3u playlist files?

vbimport

Personally I have two questions here. 1) What exactly is a m3u playlist file?; 2) How do you create an m3u playlist file?

I downloaded an album from Alicia Keys and it contained a m3u file. I was wondering in relation to the first question, can m3u files be played in any media player. My Windows Media Player can certainly play these files, and thou Windows Media Player creates playlists itself, I noticed that the files created are Windows Media Playlist Files and not m3u. Now if m3u files can be played in any media player then I would be happy to create these files myself. I also am not sure if Windows Media Playlist Files can be played by any other media player.

Now I found that you can create m3u playlist files with notepad by typing in the required information and saving it with a .m3u at the end. This is the same case with Cue Sheet files required for .bin files and if so .img files. But anyways I would like to know the LAYOUT for m3u files in notepad.

Well I hope anyone can help. Cyas :).

Solution
CopyTo is the easiest M3U Playlist maker!

You can use this software to create them, very quick and easy to use:

http://www.oddgravity.de/

Hey Chriso, Thx for that. Thou personally I don’t like installing software from the internet unless the software is really well known and has gained such good responses. That’s why I asked about notepad. Also for people who don’t know Winamp does create m3u playlists for you but I don’t want Winamp in my computer. So yea.

You could create them using notepad but that could take ages.

Windows Media Player WILL create m3u playlists for you. Im curius as why you wouldn’t want Winamp on your rig tho?

You can create m3u playlists with Foobar. This is a well known Audio player. Though it doesn’t have a fancy interface, it has a better quality than any other player, it also supports gapless playback, and plays practically any format.

M3U files are basically a list of filenames/filepaths.

What you could do is make a new text document containing the names of the songs [including extension] and save as an M3U and it’ll be done. The problem with using some audio players to do it is that it saves the PATH and when you move the folder everything screws up [e.g. Winamp].

That one I recommended is very good, and can either create absolute (with the full file path) or relative (like in the same folder, so they can be moved around to a different device/folder). Lots of features for a free program. Also, I would personally recommend Winamp as it has a lot to offer (probably not as much as Foobar) as a music player.

I use a script sometimes. Sometimes I just use foobar. I don’t make M3U’s all that often anymore because I don’t use them. Anyway, here is the script I use:

@echo off
dir /o:n /b *.mp3 > Playlist.m3u

Copy&paste it into Notepad and save as a DOS batch file (e.g. MakeM3U.bat)

I just drop it into the folder of MP3’s I want to list and run it. Then I’d open the .M3U file in Notepad if I want to change the order of the songs.

[QUOTE=NRen2k5;1608526]I use a script sometimes. Sometimes I just use foobar. I don’t make M3U’s all that often anymore because I don’t use them. Anyway, here is the script I use:

@echo off

I just drop it into the folder of MP3’s I want to list and run it. Then I’d open the .M3U file in Notepad if I want to change the order of the songs.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap - it works! :bow:

Thanks to XAngelMusic for posting the question and a special thanks to NRen2k5 for his/her simple and clear explanation of how to create the bat file - Happy New Year 2010 - Rick

[QUOTE=NRen2k5;1608526]I use a script sometimes. Sometimes I just use foobar. I don’t make M3U’s all that often anymore because I don’t use them. Anyway, here is the script I use:

@echo off

I just drop it into the folder of MP3’s I want to list and run it. Then I’d open the .M3U file in Notepad if I want to change the order of the songs.[/QUOTE]

Better Adaptation of above Idea. :wink:
Copy below content to a notepad file and save as M3u.reg.
Double-Click the M3u.reg and click “Yes” for registry updation.
Find the option “MakeM3U PlayList” on the right click of ANY folder. 'Njoy.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\MakeM3U PlayList]
@=“MakeM3U PlayList”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\MakeM3U PlayList\command]
@=“cmd.exe /k “dir /o:n /b *.mp3 > Playlist.m3u & exit””

I don’t make M3U’s all that often, but when I do I’ll create them when I rip the CD…Or I’ll use foobar2k, MediaMonkey,Mp3Tag etc…They’re easily created w/o using scripts…
We all have our preferences…:wink:

I like the Right Click -> Make m3U Playlist idea. I made the modification to the registry but when I try it, I always get an “Access Denied” message when I clearly have admin rights everywhere on the system. Any ideas why it won’t work?
BTW, I opened a cmd window in a music folder and ran the line dir /o:n /b *.mp3 > Playlist.m3u & exit That worked perfectly…

[QUOTE=MuggySmile;2482122]Better Adaptation of above Idea. :wink:

@=“MakeM3U PlayList”

@=“cmd.exe /k “dir /o:n /b *.mp3 > Playlist.m3u & exit””[/QUOTE]

@echo off

Very cool . . .

Bob,
Did that MakeM3U PlayList reg entry work? Do you get an Access Denied message at all?

Thanks,
Bruce

[QUOTE=lui_gough;1607435]M3U files are basically a list of filenames/filepaths.

What you could do is make a new text document containing the names of the songs [including extension] and save as an M3U and it’ll be done. The problem with using some audio players to do it is that it saves the PATH and when you move the folder everything screws up [e.g. Winamp].[/QUOTE]
I tried this and it worked great! I use Foobar and love it but sometimes I want to listen to a folder of music without making or loading a playlist. I knew I could do it myself without using any applications but didn’t know how. This was so easy and I like the portability of it. It worked fine with Windows Media Player and VLC. Thank you! :clap:

[QUOTE=MuggySmile;2482122]Better Adaptation of above Idea. :wink:

@=“MakeM3U PlayList”

@=“cmd.exe /k “dir /o:n /b *.mp3 > Playlist.m3u & exit””[/QUOTE]

I tried to do the registry thing but now when i click it it just makes an empty .m3u outside of that folder,

is there a way that i could delete that command from the registry so it doesent shwo up or a way to fix the problem? thanks

[QUOTE=brucem26;2482173]I like the Right Click -> Make m3U Playlist idea. I made the modification to the registry but when I try it, I always get an “Access Denied” message when I clearly have admin rights everywhere on the system. Any ideas why it won’t work?
BTW, I opened a cmd window in a music folder and ran the line dir /o:n /b *.mp3 > Playlist.m3u & exit That worked perfectly…[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t necessarily matter that you are logged on as administrator, you still have to have command prompt set to run as administrator as well. At least that has been my experience anyway.

This is a batch file I created as a side project with playlist generation in mind.
Copy it to notepad and save it as m3umake.bat or something.

It asks for three things:

1. Path to music.
  2. Playlist name.
  3. Path to which playlist will be saved.

If you leave the fields blank, they’ll use defaults that I’ve set up.
The defaults, respectively, are:

1. Path to music: Current directory.
  2. Playlist name: “playlist”
  3. Save path: Current directory.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

:: The following is a batch script for generating playlist files
:: from song files in a directory of choice or the current directory
:: if nothing is selected.
::
:: Important commands used: set /p, if, if errorlevel, goto, dir /b /s
::
:: Variables used: musicpath, playlistname, playlistpath
:: These variables should be cleared at the beginning and end of the file
@echo off
set musicpath=
set playlistname=
set playlistpath=
cls
echo --------------------------------------
echo --------- Playlist Generator ---------
echo --------------------------------------
:start
set /p musicpath=Enter path to folder where music is stored:
if “%musicpath%”=="" goto mpath_error

:mpath
set musicpath=%musicpath%\

:playname
set /p playlistname=Enter desired playlist name:
if not “%playlistname%”=="" goto playpath
goto name_error

:playpath
set /p playlistpath=Enter path to which playlist will be saved; hit enter to save in current directory:
if exist “%playlistpath%%playlistname%.m3u” goto pexists
cd %musicpath%
if errorlevel 3 goto mpath_error
dir /b /s %1*.mp3 >%playlistpath%%playlistname%.m3u
goto end

:: Errors section start
:name_error
echo No name chosen for playlist, using default name "playlist"
echo.
set playlistname=playlist
goto playpath

:mpath_error
echo No directory specified, using current directory.
echo.
set musicpath=
goto playname

:pexists
echo The playlist by the name of %playlistname%.m3u already exists.
goto trueend
:: Error section end

:end
echo Your playlist is now available for use!
goto trueend

:trueend
:: This section resets the variables before exiting
set musicpath=
set playlistname=
set playlistpath=
echo Press any key to exit…
pause >nul

@echo off

ok, i love this idea, but i have a problem with it. i tried making a playlist with wma files, but it wouldnt work… so i made a new script changing the mp3 part to wma… and that worked fine. i assume i can use the same process for flac and ogg… no issue there.

but… what if i want to make a playlist with mixed media types… wma, mp3, flac… all in one list? is there a way to modify the script to use any file type? i’d rather use one catch all batch command instead of one for wma, mp3, flac.