How do they do it? Direct X?

vbimport

I was checking out some music download sites and some how the search engine I was using made itself my home page and I can’t change it.

This is some off the wall music search engine whose address looks like this: 99%cd/fr*#omb233/ etc. etc.

When I try to change my home page, the buttons are greyed out. Do I have to reinstall my browser?

More important… How can I keep this from happening again? If they can change my program parameters, what else can they do?

sincerely,

wake

~

If you are lucky it is just a reg key hijack, which running spybot advanced and adaware will clear it.

If you are unlucky then you might have a trojan horse, and you will need to run a virus scanner through your computer.

Here are a couple of places to check in your registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel] - DWORD “HomePage”=dword:00000001 (grays out the whole section)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] - DWORD “NoSetHomePage”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD “NoSetHomePage”=dword:00000001

This might make changing your home page possible, but you probably have some spyware or adware like Ockingshay said that will keep changing it back.

Thankyou guys. Yes it was some adware that I got rid of with the programs you mentioned. I can’t believe windows is so permeable as to let this happen… The advert guys are getting more and more desprate to get hits on their lame sites they have to hijack peoples equipment to do it.

I wonder what would happen if your TV were to change channels and make you look at a commercial every time you turned it on. Is that next???

HMMMmmmmmm…

Would a firewall help? Port monitoring?

wake

~

What browser are you using? If it is Internet Explorer, then you are very vulnerable. After i had my attack i moved over to Mozilla Firefox and never had a problem since. Firefox is a lot more secure. Couple this with the two programs i already mentioned and you shouldn’t have anymore problems

You have to be very careful nowadays what files you open. I suggest giving the file(s) a scan before running them if they are from a unknown source.

I suggest getting a firewall and anti-virus protection immediately if you havent already.
A good choice would be Norton Internet Security Professional 2004, which is what im using.