How do one uninstall Windows Messenger

Hi CDFREAKS… I need help with uninstalling Windows Messenger
from XP-PRO. I know someone posted the said problem in the general software forum, but no conclusive answer to solve the problem was given. I’m not a user of messenger and finds it quite
annoying that windows doesn’t give me an option to uninstall it via Add/Remove programs.
Thanks in advance.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told

If you’re talking about the Messenger service, you should find it in services. (admin tools). however, disabling this service has consequences, like you may not receive warnings from programs like your antivirus scanner.
If you are having problems with pop-up messages on the internet, there are better ways to fix that.

Originally posted by Ivanhoe

Hi CDFREAKS… I need help with uninstalling Windows Messenger
from XP-PRO.

Hi there !

First of all, since it’s been quite a while since I last did it, please be gentle to me if it happens that I’m wrong somewhere.

1. Well, I went to the registery : Start -> Run -> regedit -> F3 -> Find What : Messenger
    and then just kept hitting the F3 and Delete buttons till it was over with the entries regarding it.
    The rest (some folders and stuff) was deleted “manually”.

2. You can also download and install the following proggie [COLOR=indigo]RegCleaner ,
    where you should goto the Software, Startup List and Unistall Menu tabs and check all the entries with Messenger available and then Remove Selected.
    Afterwards clean (delete) the remaining stuff “by hand”.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck ! :wink: [/COLOR]

Boskin, I get the sense that you are referring to Instant Messenger type programs, which are completely different from the messenger service which an integral part of the OS.
I just wanted to reiterate that disabling messenger service can have serious consequences and impact any number of programs, as well as cripple the OS.

rdgrimes,
I’m referring to the program that is called Windows Messenger, which Inanhoe considers as being quite annoying.

Here’s what I’m talking 'bout [COLOR=indigo]MSN® Messenger

And you’re talking about Messenger in Adm.Tools, which has no connection with the Windows Messenger,
which in this case could be taken away harmlessly.[/COLOR]

MSN Messenger

Which is my point, MSN Messenger is totally different from Windows Messenger service. Searching and deleting “messenger” entries in the registry could really screw the messenger service, which is part of the OS, and has nothing to do with “instant messeging”.

OK, then in #1 there should be cleaned those referring to MSN Messenger entries

and there’s point # 2 with RegCleaner as well, since we’re talking about the software.

Ivanhoe
You need to clarify what it is that you’re trying to remove from your system.

Thanks for all your comments…from what i’ve read it seems that
removing Windows Messenger could be more trouble than it’s
worth, so for now i will defer from trying any actions to stop this
annoying program from working.
Thanks once again.

Ivanhoe…

removing Windows Messenger could be more trouble than it’s
worth

:confused: There haven’t been any troubles whatosever since its removal :cool:

Ivanhoe
Which program are you referring to, and what’s the problem? If it’s the windows messenger service, (not instant messenger), there shouldn’t be any problem if you are correctly configured. Improper network configuration and open ports can allow the pop-up messages to occur while you’re online, but if you get everything set right, it’s not a problem. Mine is running and I get no pop-ups at all. A firewall will also stop the messages.

rdgrimes,

I assume that your OS still is W2K ( as far as I remember ), that’s why it’s kinda hard for you to imagine what he’s talking about.

You’re referring to :

Adm.Tools -> Services -> Messenger

" Description : Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers.
This service is not related to Windows Messenger
( which he meant : "I’m not a user of messenger and finds it quite annoying ").
If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. "

Thanks for your reply RDGRIMES… i’m refering to Instant Messenger that’s normally activated when you log into MSN or
Hotmail. I can actually sign in or out of messenger but i cannot
uninstall this program why!!!why!!!why!!!

Ivanhoe…

I can actually sign in or out of messenger but i cannot
uninstall this program why!!!why!!!why!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Ivanhoe,
the answers were given here but you didn’t seem to care much of making your own necessary moves. Why ?

And “I rest my case” : as Inertia used to say :bigsmile:

Ivanhoe the easiest way todo this without messing anything up is just to rename the messenger.exe file. Just call it messenger1.exe. Then u can change it back when and if u need it by reverting the name. Also doing it this way doesn’t need any messing around with the very delicate messenger fileing system in windows. When outlook or outlook express start up there is a reg file telling messenger.exe to start up as well. If u change the name of messenger.exe it will not find it and will not start up. Also u know what u changed it to and can then go and change it back if u need to with out having messed up the registery!!

10. Kill the messenger

:bigsmile:

Ivanhoe,

joking aside, here’s your salvation
(and the easiest method at the same time (all-in-one :wink: )) on how to get rid of the annoying Messenger :

Start -> Run -> type gpedit.msc -> OK -> click on + in User Configuration ->
click on + in Administrative Templates -> on + in Windows Components ->
Windows Messenger
-> double click on Do not automatically start Windows Messenger initially
-> Enable -> OK

Explanation of Do not automatically start Windows Messenger initially :

Windows Messenger is automatically loaded and running when a user logs on to a Windows XP computer. You can use this setting to stop Windows Messenger from automatically being run at logon.

If you enable this setting, Windows Messenger will not be loaded automatically when a user logs on.

If you disable or do not configure this setting, the Windows Messenger will be loaded automatically at logon.

Note: This setting simply prevents Windows Messenger from running intially. If the user invokes and uses Windows Messenger from that point on, Windows Messenger will be loaded.

The user can also configure this behavior on the Preferences tab on the Tools menu in the Windows Messenger user interface.

Note: If you do not want users to use Windows Messenger, enable the “Do not allow Windows Messenger to run” setting.

Note: This setting is available under both Computer Configuration and User Configuration. If both are present, the Computer Configuration version of this setting takes precedence.

The same way you’re gonna learn about Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run

:smiley:

Thanks BoSKIN this is exactly what i was looking for…now i can
disable messenger without messing up my system.

Ivanhoe…

With SP1 you can “uninstall” messenger from add/remove windows components. Actually you just disable it.
Before sp1 i edited the sysoc.inf file in the *:Windows/inf/ directory.
You just have to remove “Hide” from the messenger entry and it will be shown in the add/remove windows components.