How do I transfer files from my desktop to my laptop over my home network?

vbimport

I have a desktop PC running Windows XP Home with SP3 and a new laptop running Windows 7. I want to transfer the contents in ‘My Documents’ to the laptop over my home network. I have changed the properties of the folder so that it is now being shared, but I can’t find it on he laptop.

You can find it here.
C:\users\username\My Documents

Nope. Not in there

This problem can occur on XP machines if the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component isn’t installed.

Try downloading and installing this fix from Microsoft on the XP machine and see if that helps.

[B]Wombler[/B]

A box appeared saying that I didn’t need to install the update because the SP3 is newer than the version I’m trying to update

[QUOTE=Garybrown02;2645043]A box appeared saying that I didn’t need to install the update because the SP3 is newer than the version I’m trying to update[/QUOTE]

You must already have that then.

When you click on Network in the left hand pane in Windows Explorer does the other machine show up?

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’ve been here for hours trying to figure out how to do this and I click on the little arrow to expand the ‘Network’ link and there it is lol.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Garybrown02;2645054]I’ve been here for hours trying to figure out how to do this and I click on the little arrow to expand the ‘Network’ link and there it is lol.

Thanks for your help :-)[/QUOTE]

No problem and glad you’re sorted. :slight_smile:

Most times the eventual solution to these sorts of problems is fairly simple but they’re difficult to troubleshoot as there can be so many reasons behind them.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Ah, the Timing Issue! Yes, some Share’s take moments, sometimes minutes to get the networks to pass along the handshakes.

I thought there might be Firewall issuel, or there might be the Simple File-Sharing issues (I always disable Simple File Sharing and then set up Permissions for the few specific UserIDs).

I have some ideals that connect them with the cable, set IP addresses for each machine, for example 192.168.1.1 for your desktop and 192.168.1.2 for your notebook. Don’t forget to disable/enable the connection after you set the addresses, as it may be necessary for them to become active.