How do I test my mp3's for errors

vbimport

Hey guys, I need help. I just bought an iriver mp3/cd player and I have started burning all of my mp3’s, but I have at least 1 error on most of my cd’s. the cd reads like 150 or so songs, but will not play many of them. How can I check to see if an mp3 has an error. What programs can do this for me. This is driving me insane. Sorry if this question has been answered 50 times previously. I am new to this site. cheers for any help.

Hi hbomb,

Can you give more information about your problem?

‘I have at least 1 error on most of my cd’s’ – What do you mean here? Are these the original CD audio discs that you are trying to rip?

‘the cd reads like 150 or so songs,…’ – Again, what do you mean? What CD are you referring to, the original or the one you just burned? What type of files does this CD have on it and how did they get there?

‘How can I check to see if an mp3 has an error.’ – I take it that these mp3 files are on your hard drive. If so, can you play them from the hard drive without problems? If not, then you probably need to rip them from the original CD again and try slower speeds next time.

RichMan, thanks for responding.

I’m trying to burn mp3’s from my hardrive. I don’t have most of the original cd’s, as the majority of these songs were downloaded over the years from various programs.

When I make an mp3 cd most of the songs play, however nero or roxio usually find 1 or 2 errors. The cd will play in my iriver player but when the track with the error comes up the rest of the cd becomes useless. I can pay these songs from my hardrive on winamp and other programs, and so I can’t understand why nero and such are reading errors.

Basically, I am just tryng to find a way to test my cd’s so that I don’t waste my time burning them. I have a lot of costers lying around now :frowning:

Is there a really good burning software that will tell me what errors I have before the cd is actuallty burnt. I am using nero 5. Should I be upgrading?

Actually, I just download encspot and I used it to check the quality of my mp3s. I moved the red ones to a separate folder and later burned a cd of mp3’s that encspot said were of bad quality. No errors came up on nero, and the cd works fine. This confuses me greatly, as I thought this program was supposed to weed out the errors.

As you can tell I am not the most experienced burner, and I really need some help. Thanks again.

Errors are often caused by using sub-par media. I would recommend trying some better media and seeing if that helps.

Originally posted by hbomb
Is there a really good burning software that will tell me what errors I have before the cd is actuallty burnt.

Yes. Have a read here. Sometimes you can also use CDSpeed to test for C1/C2 errors (drive dependent).

If your drive can’t scan for C1/C2 errors a transfer rate test can also show problems. On an error free disc the line should look failry linear and smooth like this:

A bad disc/burn will have peaks and valleys where the drive had to slow down to read the disc, that will look something like this (of course this depends on where the error happen to be and each scan will look different):

[B]

Actually, I just download encspot and I used it to check the quality of my mp3s. I moved the red ones to a separate folder and later burned a cd of mp3’s that encspot said were of bad quality. No errors came up on nero, and the cd works fine. This confuses me greatly, as I thought this program was supposed to weed out the errors.
[/B]

You have to see the “Sync errors” column.
That’s the field you’re interested in.
If there are 0 sync errors, then the MP3 is OK.

The red colour means that a “low quality” encoder has been used.

Anyway, I don’t know if you have problem with the MP3 files, or the MP3s are OK, but the data is corrupted when burned.
Do you find errors when “verify data” is enabled.
Then it’s probably a problem with you computer. Data transfers are not reliable and data is being changed when burning.
What’s your computer and burner?

CD Check

With CDCheck you can check your CDs and discover which files are corrupted. 

mp3Trim

mp3Trim is a simple and easy to use MP3 editor. 
Use it to clean-up and improve your MP3 collection. 

So mp3Trim parses the files looking for MPEG-audio frames and discards the rest... 
you end up with an absolutely clean MP3 containing only MPEG-audio frames. 
mp3Trim has a little indicator on how much space you'll recover when saving an MP3.

Ssseth, Boskin, Minix, thanks for the help.

Minix, what exactly is the “sync errors” column? Is it the column that says “bad last frame”. I cannot see any column that says “sync”.

I am using a samsung cdrw/dvd sm-352f, and my computer is a pentium 3, 700 Mhz. My windows 98 shows many problems when I start up my computer. I also have no sound when I play mp3s, so I think you may be absolutely right when you say that maybe the problem is with my computer.

By the way, what progam do you guys use when burning?

thanks again for you help. I appreciate it.

g.

Minix, what exactly is the “sync errors” column? Is it the column that says “bad last frame”. I cannot see any column that says “sync”.

Go to Options -> Settings -> Columns -> General, and enable that field.

Sync errors mean that the file has been corrupted, during transfer/download…

[B]

[/B]

Feurio, of course.
It will also detect corrupt frames in a MP3 file and will tell you the position of the error, like EncSpot, but Feurio only burns audio discs, not data discs with a lot of MP3 files.

Are you burning data discs and enable “verify burned disc”?
If verifying fails, then the problem is data corruption while burning.

Feurio! - it goes without saying.

This is all great stuff. Thanks so much again guys.

What would you suggest I use for burning a data cd with lots of mp3s, if Feurio will only burn audio discs?

If your data transfers are corrupted, then changing the burning problem might not help…

Do your burnings fail when “verifying” with Nero?

Or are your MP3 files damaged?

Or the quality of the burnings is low?

use advanced checksum program.it is meant for this kind of work.go to http://www.downloads.com for downloading

I use MUSICMATCH Jukebox and I choose to convert my MP3 files to check whether they are MP3 or MP3 Pro. MP3 Pro will not play on my dvd player, they just skip as blank songs so I convert them with MUSICMATCH. MP3 Pro music files are created by Nero Wave Edit when you save ordinary MP3 music files that have been fixed (volume increased, etc).

I also use Acoustica Wave Converter 2.22 to convert all my music files to wma, if they won’t convert it tells me there is a problem with them. I just delete the converted files after as they are just duplicates in their own file and I prefer MP3