How do I tell CD medai manufacturer before I buy?

I understand how to tell who makes a CD after I buy it and how fast it can be burned. Is there anyway to tell before I buy who actually makes the CD? Do some CD packagers only get their CD’s from a certain manufacturer?

well, jensen only buys from Princo (excellent manufacturer) Jensen CD-Rs are at Circuit City in 100 pack. The memorex 100 pack that are made in japan are Taiyo Yuden.

Imation disks are always made by CMC Magnetics. Most people say CMC disks are bad, but they’ve always been fine for me.:slight_smile:

I have had good luck with most CD’s I bought (including Imations) , but in the past I haven’t had a fast burner such that the media’s speed rating usually exceeded my burners’ fastest speeds. I just got a Verbatim (rebadged Lite-On) which can be flashed to 48x and have read that it is important to have fast, quality media. But I also read that many packagers of CD media get their Cd’s from many manufacturers and I would prefer not to have to buy a stack to find out who makes them as some manufacturers such as Taiyo Yuden seem to have a good reputation here. the packagers should be required to indicated on the packaging who actually makes their CD’s.

Well look for top brand disks like Fuji (always TY) or TDK (sometimes TY) and look for ‘Made in Japan’. If it’s made in Japan it will be good.

Japanese-made or US-made CD-R’s are generally pretty good.

Look for always-good brands (HP, Fuji). TDK are usually good as long as you stay away from TDK Golds, which are made by CMC.

Is there a list of “good” brands somewhere?

Why are all CD’s made in Japan good?

I recognize a lot of names on stacks of CD’s. I would have thought Verbatim, Maxell, and Memorex would be good as well as the ones you mention. I have read messages that say that Verbatim’s and Imation’s are not good.

Just recently I saw AT&T CD’s. I am not not convinced that someone with a widely known name such as those would not sub out the manufacture of disks to the cheapest manufacturer, not the best or that will change who they use to manufacture their CD’s.

With my slow, prior burners I have not had any problems with Imations nor even the Staples brand.

Judging what are ‘good’ CD-Rs from ‘bad’ CD-Rs is not an exact science. Most of what you read is little more than rumour and anecdotal evidence. Somewhere along the line CMC has been labelled a ‘bad’ manufacturer. The fact is they are a very high volume manufacturer (2nd largest in the world I think) and make disks for lots of different labels. They have many productions lines (35 last I heard) and with the volume they produce, someone somewhere is bound to have had problems with them. Some drives are pickier about the media they use than others too. I would hazard a guess and say that these days, what with CD-R manufacturing being pretty mature, one highspeed brand is just as good as another. Personally, I just tested some CMC disks (ones distributed by Imation) which I burned nearly 5 yrs ago and they are just fine. Lately, I’ve burned in excess of 100 40X and 48X rated Imations at 40X and haven’t had a coaster yet.

Princo (excellent manufacturer)

Depends on where you buy them. In Germany, Princo is somewhere between CMC and DST in quality. They seem to sell B- and C-grade media to us only :a
Their DVD-R(W) media is even giving bad burns.

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]Princo (excellent manufacturer)

Depends on where you buy them. In Germany, Princo is somewhere between CMC and DST in quality. They seem to sell B- and C-grade media to us only :a
Their DVD-R(W) media is even giving bad burns. [/B]

You’re not alone. The ones we get here are just as bad (fp uses them for his c**p media tests :wink: ). In my experience they’re even worse than Imations and that’s saying something. :Z

As I said, somewhere between DST and CMC (CMC=Imation, DST is something only Plextor writers can write without bad sectors).

BTW: Toshiba 1502 is not certified for reading dvd-rw, but it can read Verbatim, Pioneer and even Optodisc dvd-rw.

Guess which ones it does not even recognise as a “disc”…

Originally posted by philamber

You’re not alone. The ones we get here are just as bad (fp uses them for his c**p media tests :wink: ). In my experience they’re even worse than Imations and that’s saying something. :Z

I’ve had great success with princo. While I know that they may not be the most compatible with different writers, I have found that they are the most compatible with old readers. They are one of the few that will play in the old Sony DVD players. They are also very good with car systems. I burn 24x “rated” Princo at 40x with no errors whatsoever. I can’t speak for the quality of their CDs in other countries, but the ones that I have purchased in the US were top-notch.

Originally posted by TambourineMan
[B]Is there a list of “good” brands somewhere?

Why are all CD’s made in Japan good?

I recognize a lot of names on stacks of CD’s. I would have thought Verbatim, Maxell, and Memorex would be good as well as the ones you mention. I have read messages that say that Verbatim’s and Imation’s are not good.

Just recently I saw AT&T CD’s. I am not not convinced that someone with a widely known name such as those would not sub out the manufacture of disks to the cheapest manufacturer, not the best or that will change who they use to manufacture their CD’s.

With my slow, prior burners I have not had any problems with Imations nor even the Staples brand. [/B]

The main gripe that I have with Imation is the poor quality plastic used in the ones that I bought. I bought a 10-pack of Imation CD-RW at staples and ended up throwing them away because they were beginning to develop small cracks in the center ring of the CD. If you get a CD with cracks like that and put it in a fast drive, it will shatter, usually rendering the drive totally useless.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
as far as the list of good CD-R,
Jap made Memorex (Taiyo Yuden)
Fujifilm
Princo(in my experience)

As far as Verbatim, most of their products are regarded very highly, especially the Metal Azo. I know that some of their Valu-Life line of CD-R is made by CMC, but usually they are made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. These burn very well, and the only problem that I have had with them is playback in VERY old drives. I think it has something to do with the blue dye, becuase most other blue dye cd-r that I have tried have the same problem.

Maxell is made by Hitachi most of the time, I think. Only had a ten-pack of experience with these, so can’t really comment.

While some people will automatically reject anything made by CMC, I think that they will make anything a company is willing to pay for. I have had good CMC and bad. I still don’t trust them for family photos or anything important like that, but for games and such, go for it.

I have used Imation CDR’s (CMC) for a year or so and have not had one coaster or a bad disc. They are all perfectly OK. I have also got a job lot of Phillips CDR’s and they are better.

I use a LiteON, maybe its down to the make of drive.

Im in NZ, the same place as Robotnik, who seems to like imation :S
and well, i pity those who actually like these discs.

they are, quite frankly, some of the worst discs you can buy in NZ - they are also incredibly expensive. The recording layer is fine, until you leave it in the sun… or heat it a little bit more than room temperature.

And as for the plastic… well i won’t even go there. You can tell by the edge of the CD-R that it hasn’t been well made.

on EVERY single one of my imations, the top layer has flaked off and rendered the CD-R useless.
I have at least one of every CMC imation disc, and they are ALL flaking.

Do not, and i repeat, do not continue to buy imation CD-R’s - they are NOT WORTH IT.
Verbatim DataLifePlus are far superior and can be purchased for much cheaper anyway.

Originally posted by KyRoWire
[B]Im in NZ, the same place as Robotnik, who seems to like imation :S

they are, quite frankly, some of the worst discs you can buy in NZ - they are also incredibly expensive. The recording layer is fine, until you leave it in the sun… or heat it a little bit more than room temperature.

And as for the plastic… well i won’t even go there. You can tell by the edge of the CD-R that it hasn’t been well made.

on EVERY single one of my imations, the top layer has flaked off and rendered the CD-R useless.

Do not, and i repeat, do not continue to buy imation CD-R’s - they are NOT WORTH IT.
Verbatim DataLifePlus are far superior and can be purchased for much cheaper anyway. [/B]

RIGHT ON! :slight_smile:

Verbatim DataLifePlus are far superior and can be purchased for much cheaper anyway. [/B]

yeah thats right, go verbatim :bow: :bow: :bow:

I’ve not had the same experience with CMCs disks as you have had. I generally try and keep reasonable care of my important backs though. I always replace them in the case and don’t store them reflective side up on a window sill for days on end or anything like that. CMCs aren’t that expensive. Last week I bought 100 40X rated CMCs for NZ68c each, including sleeves. :confused: People dis’ them, but they are often the first to come out with highspeed media. I’ve not seen any 48X media here yet, except for DSE CMCs for instance.

i treat my cd’s extremely well also… this CD was a copy of driver 2 - i’d hardly used it!!
just some of the top layer flaked off near the edge of the cd…

and i don’t really care too much about ultra-high speed media
i burn at 16-32x most of the time

it’s just the whole… flakey… layer thing :S

TY = Excellent
Verbatim DataLifePlus(mitsubishi) = excellent
Verbatim DataLife = average (different manufacturers,eg CMC,4M,Plasmon)