How do i save dvds to computer

vbimport

hi everybody.can anyone tell me how to play standard dvds on my laptop and save them to my computer at the same time.

Welcome to the forums glenisgreat.

I’m not sure what you are asking here. Do you have a laptop [B]and[/B] a second computer? Or are you just wanting to capture the dvd playback on the laptop itself?

It is much simpler to decrypt and rip dvds to the hard drive of a computer using ripping software. There are even some free programs that can rip them, like DVDFab HD Decrypter. You will also get the original quality this way.

It is possible to capture the video on the same computer as you play it using something like Tunebite Platinum, but the quality of the recording will not be the same as the original, and I don’t know of any capture programs like this that are free.

My suggestion for playback would be to use Potplayer or MPC-HC.
Potplayer doesn’t use as much processor power.

You didn’t mention whether these are home-made dvds or commercial.
Either way, you can copy them to your hard drive per Kerry’s instruction of
using dvdfab HD Decrypter.

Capturing while playing either from disc or hard drive can be more tricky…
but it can be done.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2678204]Welcome to the forums glenisgreat.

I’m not sure what you are asking here. Do you have a laptop [B]and[/B] a second computer? Or are you just wanting to capture the dvd playback on the laptop itself?

It is much simpler to decrypt and rip dvds to the hard drive of a computer using ripping software. There are even some free programs that can rip them, like DVDFab HD Decrypter. You will also get the original quality this way.

It is possible to capture the video on the same computer as you play it using something like Tunebite Platinum, but the quality of the recording will not be the same as the original, and I don’t know of any capture programs like this that are free.[/QUOTE]
just want to save it to the laptop i play it on,preferably at high speed play. commercial dvds

Again, I must emphasize the fact that it is much more simple, much quicker and results in far better quality if you use a dvd decryption/ripping program rather than capturing the video as it plays!

Try the trial for DVDFab. Once the trial ends, it still has a free section that we’ve already mentioned called DVDFab HD Decrypter, which will work to decrypt and rip the movies to the hard drive.

AnyDVD is the other main option. There is no free version, but there is a trial available.

MakeMKV is free to use, but will rip dvd main movie only, and puts the movie into an mkv file instead of dvd-video structre.

And there is one other free option, called BDLot ISO Master. It will rip the entire disc to the hard drive as an ISO file. Once on the hard drive you can play this ISO file with VLC media player, or you can mount it in a virtual drive and it will act just like the original disc, minus the encryption.

Many commercial dvds have only simple CSS encryption, but there are a fair number that have more advanced protections, and new protection schemes come out regularly. You should, therefore, use a program that keeps up with the new protections. DVDFab and AnyDVD are the two best for this.

I gather the intent is to copy DVDs to the hard-drive to avoid carrying around the disks. And Kerry’s solution is a great option for that.

Then, do a FILE ASSOCIATION of the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with your DVD-playing software, and then drag that file’s shortcuts up to your desktop and they can be used to start watching any DVD-FileSet.

(The VIDEO_TS.IFO file is basically a “Start here” instruction for a DVD’s files. It’s located in every DVD’s VIDEO_TS subfolder.)

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2678308]I gather the intent is to copy DVDs to the hard-drive to avoid carrying around the disks. And Kerry’s solution is a great option for that.

Then, do a FILE ASSOCIATION of the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with your DVD-playing software, and then drag that file’s shortcuts up to your desktop and they can be used to start watching any DVD-FileSet.

(The VIDEO_TS.IFO file is basically a “Start here” instruction for a DVD’s files. It’s located in every DVD’s VIDEO_TS subfolder.)[/QUOTE]

That sounds good and all but Kerry did mention about removing protection so just doing that your doing won’t work with protected DVD they must first remove that and then do what they want. And doing a copy of IFO isn’t a good way of going about it. Just riping the movie itself would be the smart way to go and not have to worry about all those small bits or IFO to play or have problem properly playing the movies. Just ripping the movie itself would simplify playback for them.

And

Potplayer or MPC-HC

Why use them when VLC is free and a better alternative to play dvd as it will play most if not all formats tossed at it. That would be the better alternative to those you listed.

Gee - even when you take the trouble to quote me, you still won’t read the first sentence!

You’re maintaining that perfect record.