How do I rip full cd (CD quality!) to computer?

vbimport

Hey Guys

How do I rip a CD to my computer in its FULL CD QUALITY? I have a stack of borrowed CDs that I don’t want to burn onto discs right away, but would like to have them saved onto my computer so that I can burn them onto discs at a later date, BUT I don’t want to rip the CD files into lossy formats like MP3.

I know that WAV is a lossless format, but wouldn’t those files be too big to fit on an average 700 MB CD-R? Plus, I want the files to be playable on any CD player (WAV can’t play on older stand-alone CD players, right?).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

[QUOTE=ministry88;2047684]Hey Guys

How do I rip a CD to my computer in its FULL CD QUALITY? I have a stack of [B]borrowed CDs [/B]that I don’t want to burn onto discs right away, but would like to have them saved onto my computer so that I can burn them onto discs at a later date, BUT I don’t want to rip the CD files into lossy formats like MP3.

I know that WAV is a lossless format, but wouldn’t those files be too big to fit on an average 700 MB CD-R? Plus, I want the files to be playable on any CD player (WAV can’t play on older stand-alone CD players, right?).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help![/QUOTE]

Well borrowed CD’s is a no no here…so you will need to go buy them and then ask.

OK then I’ll re-phrase the question:

How do I do the above to back up the CDs I own? Eventually I would like to make backups of my library (I have 300+ CDs). How would I rip the exact CD onto my computer for a perfect copy later on? Thanks!

A wav file is lossless, and only very slightly larger in file-size than the audio tracks on the CD. A CD full of music is around 700MB, the wav files you rip from it will come in at just under 800MB.

CD encoding is 44.1kHz

However, you can’t tag wav files like you can mp3s, and manually tagging when you do get around to encoding them as mp3 will be a pain. mp3 at highest quality setting (320kbps) is extremely hard to tell from a wav or CD, unless you have really high-end audio equipment.

Or you could create the iso image to your hard drive, if you only wish to store them (rather than have easy access to the audio files on your computer.)

You’ll have to allow 700MB for each CD though, so you’ll need a whole lot of disc space to archive everything without any compression.

You’re right, if you choose wav you can’t just burn as a data disc. Import the wavs into your CD burning program as an audio project before first.

[QUOTE=ministry88;2048258]OK then I’ll re-phrase the question:

How do I do the above to back up the CDs I own? Eventually I would like to make backups of my library (I have 300+ CDs). How would I rip the exact CD onto my computer for a perfect copy later on? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I would prefer CloneCD for this job. Maybe also Discjuggler or Blindwrite.