How do I rip from 48Khz DAT?

vbimport

Hello,

I have a large number of DAT tapes, with source material that I recorded myself at a 48 Khz sampling rate. I am interested in getting this music into my computer (a modern machine running Windows XP), using some sort of lossless format, preferably SHN. From there, I’m sure I can figure out how to burn it to DVD audio, or (ugh) format-convert to 44.1 Khz for a CD.

I have been having trouble finding information about transferring from DAT, though. What would be good choices of hardware and software that will accomplish this well, allow me to mark the boundaries of songs, etc? What issues am I likely to run into? What sort of digital out connection should I be looking for, in a DAT player (I think there may be three possible: optical, digital, and digital XLR, and I’m not sure that there isn’t more than one version of any of the three)? How can I tell when I have successfully made a transfer without dropouts or errors?

I apologize if these questions have been answered here before; I tried to use the forum search repeatedly and got always 404 messages with the URL http://forum.cdfreaks.com/search.php

Thanks for your assistance.

You might find more advice on the Audio section of the forums. I’ll transfer this there…

Two ways to go. The best is to get hold of an audio interface that has a digital input, such as an EMU1212 (just an example). The other way to go is to take the stereo line level analog output of the DAT player and go into the line-in of your sound card.

Lots of programs to record audio with once these connections are made. I think there is a demo version of Mackie’s “tracktion” on their website.

Best of luck

You sound horrified with the 44.1k frequency. I don’t disagree if your dat recordings are samples for bespoke purposes, as I suspect. Staying in the digital domain is definately the way to go, as gutterpercha advises. The soundblaster live card runs at 48k by default and is given away with cornflakes virtually. Do you have to use cd’s? The spec of the dvd protocol is 48k[I know you know]. So if there’s a god in heaven, there’s a way of preserving your 48k. A dedicated audio editing software such as soundforge enables re-sampling of quality. There’s protools, of course which is a free download but only runs up to win98SE/ME. I know there’s heaps of shareware stuff but you sound like a pro to me [DAT] and I personally only stick to industry standard applications. I’d be interested how you proceed. Regards P.S

[QUOTE=supapete;1458813]You sound horrified with the 44.1k frequency. I don’t disagree if your dat recordings are samples for bespoke purposes, as I suspect. Staying in the digital domain is definately the way to go, as gutterpercha advises. The soundblaster live card runs at 48k by default and is given away with cornflakes virtually. Do you have to use cd’s? The spec of the dvd protocol is 48k[I know you know]. So if there’s a god in heaven, there’s a way of preserving your 48k. A dedicated audio editing software such as soundforge enables re-sampling of quality. There’s protools, of course which is a free download but only runs up to win98SE/ME. I know there’s heaps of shareware stuff but you sound like a pro to me [DAT] and I personally only stick to industry standard applications. I’d be interested how you proceed. Regards P.S[/QUOTE]

I have a Tascam DA-30 DAT deck. I use a M-Audio Firewire solo interface with a coax digital connection. I usually track it manually. Its a pain in the ass, but works fine for my purposes

Welcome to the forum and thanks John. That may help bring closure when someone else finds this four year old thread on Google.