How do I resize a partition which has windows/documents and settings folder on it?

Hi
I have managed to build my new PC and install all my software etc, great!!
Being cautious and taking advice, I set up several partitions, however the one I have installed windows, documents and settings, etc on was only 10gb and is now running out of space everytime I try to install things!!!
How do I increase the partition size without having to start again with the instal? will Acronis disk director will do it? the free trial version doesnt seem to be fully functional and I dont want to spend £30 just to increase the partition, unless I have to!

Any ideas/advice???

I recommend Gparted, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/, you download the iso, burn it to CD, then boot from the CD. MS has a tool called Diskpart which comes with vista but you can download it for XP. I prefer Gparted because you are not working from within windows. Here is another free one that runs from the hard drive, http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm. Always be careful when working with partitions.

Thanks.
When you say be careful with partitions, do you mean this process could go wrong?
Can I make some sort of reinstallation disk if it does all go pear shapped? eg one that I can boot from and which will reinstall windoes and all of my current software/settings??

I don’t know if you have more than one hard drive where you could create an image restore, but Acronis is offering a free download of version 10 of there imaging/backup software, http://www.acronis.co.uk/mag/ati10pe, you have to register but it’s a nice tool to have. You can backup to CD/DVD also. There are freeware alternatives like Driveimagexml or Clonezilla, that you can download or you can create a restore point with windows. Use your own judgement. Here is a guide to using Gparted:

Hi,[quote=rigsby1208;2211571]
I have managed to build my new PC and install all my software etc, great!!
Being cautious and taking advice, I set up several partitions, however the one I have installed windows, documents and settings, etc on was only 10gb and is now running out of space everytime I try to install things!!![/quote]10 GB is a bit low for an XP installation. You can save some space by disabling hibernation mode and the system restore feature and also by moving the swap file to another partition. Additionally, you might move the “My Documents” folder to another partition also.

Any ideas/advice???
Since this is a fresh installation, I’d start again. Assuming your HDD is big enough, I’d suggest 40 GB for the Windows partition.

Michael

I agree with [B]mciahel[/B], 10 GB for Windows is not enough.
I use Partition Magic for re size in XP. Do not use Windows as that one, unless changed for Vista, will reformat hard drive.
You have to careful, not to have a power failure during repartitioning, because I do not think restore will do much in that case. You will loose data.

Is Partition Magic a free download? I did a quick search and the trial version isnt fully functional??

[quote=rigsby1208;2211895]Is Partition Magic a free download?[/quote]No. It’s commercial software.

No Partition Magic is not free, but I have a good experience with that one.
Did few re sizes over the years and all went well. No problem moving data between new partitions.

Has anyone tried this before? It looks like its just what I need and best of all its free! I’d rather not pay £40 for something I will only use once if possible.

You can move all personal files from C: to another partition/hd with folder-mover.exe from www.eazsolution.com
It’s free and standalone (no install).

[QUOTE=rigsby1208;2212243]Has anyone tried this before? It looks like its just what I need and best of all its free! I’d rather not pay £40 for something I will only use once if possible.[/QUOTE]

Sorry with attachment:

According to your post, it’s a new drive, so I assume there is not much on it except OS and few files. You can try this app and if it does not work, you can always reformat and reinstall OS with the rest.
If it works, than you have good free app.

[QUOTE=rigsby1208;2212293]Sorry with attachment:

This is the same program I provided a link for in my first post above and yes I have used it. I still prefer Gparted, but that’s just me.