How do I make my Liteon LTD-165H DVD drive region free?

vbimport

Hi all, new to CDFreaks. As my subject says, I want to make my Liteon LTD-165H DVD-Rom drive on my computer region free.

I have used the 'search' function here at CDFreaks and also searched the newsgroups using Google to try and get a definitive answer, but I'm still confused as to what I EXACTLY need to do and in what order.

I have gone to the 'Firmware Page' and downloaded the following: CHOH.exe (My drive currently is CHOE), MtkFlash.exe and LTD-165P.bin and put them on a floppy.

Now I think I have to do this in DOS mode, and I know how to boot up in pure DOS mode so can do that, but what do I do next with these files?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan.

You only need the RPC1 binary and mtkflash.

Then start up in safe dos mode (no drivers loaded whatsoever) and start MTKFLASH. It’ll tell you what parameters to put in.

Thank you Mr. Belvedere for your prompt rersponse! I’ll go and give it a try now.

So what is the CHOH.exe file for? What does it update? (seeing how mine is CHOE)

Thanks again, Dan.

Originally posted by dc73
[B]Thank you Mr. Belvedere for your prompt rersponse! I’ll go and give it a try now.

So what is the CHOH.exe file for? What does it update? (seeing how mine is CHOE)

Thanks again, Dan. [/B]

that’s just a standard self-updating update file (did that made any sense ? ). It’ll fix some problems (i have no idea which but i doubt they make useless firmware upgrades) but will still have it RPC2 (which is region locked).

The zipfile i showed you is probably an engineered binary of that same CHOE revision which bypasses the region check in the drive , making it RPC1 (region free , no more region checks).

Of course all warranty is void and all is your own risk.

Yikes, I booted into DOS mode using a DOS boot disk, and ran mtkflash.

The amount of options it gave me were very confusing I’m sorry to say! I can see that I have to put in where the DVD drive is located (master, slave etc.) but apart from that I find the other options confusing.

Would you please be able to tell me the EXACT command I give? And also what do I do with the .bin file?

Much thanks, Dan.

Oh oh, just discovered another problem. Now it appears the DVD drive won’t recognise DVD’s! I ran the CHOH.exe program which I got from the Firmware site, this appeared to be just an update file. I ran it in Windows XP (I tried running it in DOS but it said it required Win32 to run) What have I done?!?! :([COLOR=red]

MTKFLASH [number] W /B [file.bin]

[number] : 1 , 2 , 3 or 4 : depending on which ide channel you have your lite on.

W : Write

/B : binary file

[file.bin] : the name of the file.bin

Never update LiteOns in Windows XP if DMA is still on.

If the LiteOn does not work at all or isn’t even recognised by the system (i mean the bios , not windows xp) , check the lite on forum on how to try to re-initialize it.

Thanks again Mr. Belvedere!! Did the flash and all seemed to go well (in that my DVD drive still works anyway!) Also, the problem I was having with the drive not recognising DVD’s anymore has seemed to have rectified itself!

Next question: now that I’ve flashed it and it supposedly should be region free, I installed DVD Genie which I read I need to make sure it is region free. I’m using Power DVD 4.0. When I went into DVD Genie I noticed it now says I only have 1 change left (whereas before the flash I had all my 4 changes left!) and also when I tried the RPC Check function it wouldn’t work because it said I didn’t have wnaspi32.dll in my Windows System directory.

OK, so what next? What do I have to do in DVD Genie to ensure the drive is now region free? I’ve had a look through all the tabs but am still unsure.

Thanks again, Dan.

P.S. What’s “Region Killer 2” like in comparison to DVD Genie?

Thanks, Dan.

Did the flash and all seemed to go well (in that my DVD drive still works anyway!) Also, the problem I was having with the drive not recognising DVD’s anymore has seemed to have rectified itself!

Next question: now that I’ve flashed it and it supposedly should be region free, I installed DVD Genie which I read I need to make sure it is region free. I’m using Power DVD 4.0. When I went into DVD Genie I noticed it now says I only have 1 change left (whereas before the flash I had all my 4 changes left!) and also when I tried the RPC Check function it wouldn’t work because it said I didn’t have wnaspi32.dll in my Windows System directory.

OK, so what next? What do I have to do in DVD Genie to ensure the drive is now region free? I’ve had a look through all the tabs but am still unsure. Does “DVD Region Killer” do the same thing/a better job?

Thanks again, Dan.