How do i make a larger than usual dvd fit on a standard disc

vbimport

Hi my name is Basia yes… i spelled my name wrong was a typo…:doh:
so shoot me…
I came upon this site whilst browsing google for info on how to learn to make a DVD fit the actual disc size.
I am from Western Australia.
Please accept me into your community, i promise to behave myself:p, and would appreciate any information you can give me … Regards
Basia (Barbara)

What size is the DVD you wish to put onto a single layer DVD?
DVD shrink is the software you will need if the file is not to be compressed too much.
Welcome to the freaks by the way.

But to use DVDShrink you need a burning software such as Nero. There is also some good software with uses its own burner such as CloneDVD (only free as a trial program but works fully for 21 days) and 1Click DVDCopy Pro which again is a trial but if you like it you can purchase the product.

[QUOTE=PughLfC;2071524]But to use DVDShrink you need a burning software such as Nero. There is also some good software with uses its own burner such as CloneDVD (only free as a trial program but works fully for 21 days) and 1Click DVDCopy Pro which again is a trial but if you like it you can purchase the product.[/QUOTE]

IMGBurn is for free :bigsmile:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

[quote=Baia;2071483][I]Hi my name is Basia yes… i spelled my name wrong was a typo…:doh:[/I]
[I]so shoot me…[/I]
[I]I came upon this site whilst browsing google for info on how to learn to make a DVD fit the actual disc size.[/I]
[I]I am from Western Australia.[/I]
[I]Please accept me into your community, i promise to behave myself:p, and would appreciate any information you can give me … Regards [/I]
[I]Basia (Barbara)[/I][/quote]

[B]Welkom[/B] Barbara
nice to have Some Girls around:bigsmile:
di

:flower:

Well…all DVD fit to their disc size.
No to get serious. It all depends what you want to do.
If you want to make your own DVD from footage you shot with your camera, than many editing/authoring software will output DVD file to fit DVD5(single layer) or DVD9(double layer) disc. You just need to burn it.
If you want to backup your own DVD, tan there are basically four steps

1. rip to hard drive
  2. delete(cut out) what you do not want
  3. compress to fit single layer, not needed if you will burn to double layer disc.
  4. burn

There is lots of software, free or at the price to do all you want.
Best is to visit this page and see what is available.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools

[quote=Baia;2071483][I]Hi my name is Basia yes… i spelled my name wrong was a typo…:doh:[/I]
[I]so shoot me…[/I]
[I]I came upon this site whilst browsing google for info on how to learn to make a DVD fit the actual disc size.[/I]
[I]I am from Western Australia.[/I]
[I]Please accept me into your community, i promise to behave myself:p, and would appreciate any information you can give me … Regards [/I]
[I]Basia (Barbara)[/I][/quote]

You don’t get shot here for typos, there would be no members left. There is a guide in this thread & guides about ImgBurn at the main site. Posts #67 to #74, but please also read Post #78.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-2-2-not-ready-big-league-245636/index3.html

http://www.imgburn.com/

DVD2one

If its a dvd film. try XILSOFT DVD CREATOR
this will compress two, one hour forty minutes films onto one dvd
which will then play on a DVD player… works well but takes about 3 hours to do it…

Sorry to butt - in, I too am new here.

Are the software recommendations above applicable for putting some files that larger than 4.7GB onto a DVD - as in I can’t edit anything out and the data size is about 6GB?

It’s for back up purposes, hopefully I’ll not need to use the DVD but I feel happier knowing I have all my projects backed up in one place in case a HD dies on me.

Once again, apologies for hijacking!

[QUOTE=Antsmith;2073971]Sorry to butt - in, I too am new here.

Are the software recommendations above applicable for putting some files that larger than 4.7GB onto a DVD - as in I can’t edit anything out and the data size is about 6GB?

It’s for back up purposes, hopefully I’ll not need to use the DVD but I feel happier knowing I have all my projects backed up in one place in case a HD dies on me.

Once again, apologies for hijacking![/QUOTE]

All the software in here is for video. If you have data, you need WinZip or WinRar to compress data files to fit or use dual layer DVD, but those are not very reliable, unless you use a good brand like Verbatim

Thanks for the advice - Looks like I got the wrong forum area - apologies again!

No problem Antsmith - generally we don’t like hijacking so please feel free to create a new thread next time. :slight_smile: