How do I make a copy of my DVD movie?

My computer came with a DVD-R drive, I haven’t used it yet though. I just bought some DVD+R dual layer blank DVDs by Verbatim although I have been told you need special software to get around the copyright. What is the best way to burn it for free? Thanks.

[QUOTE=HV77;1931910]My computer came with a DVD-R drive, I haven’t used it yet though. I just bought some DVD+R dual layer blank DVDs by Verbatim although I have been told you need special software to get around the copyright. What is the best way to burn it for free? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Stop right there … your drive will not read the DL media unless it is a DVD+R DL burner… And yes to you second part you have to have the right software whether purchase or freeware…but for me I would have you look at www.slysoft.com and check their software… but you must make sure your drive can read and “Burn” DL media… to be able to use DL media. The slysoft programs come with a 21 day trial before you have to purchase a serial registration from them, but I think they will be worth the investment. You would use Anydvd to decrypt and bypass the protection and use either Clonedvd if your going to compress from dvd9 to dvd5 also this will do dvd9 to dvd9 but won’t keep the layer break and last there is clonecd that will only do dvd5 to dvd5 and dvd9 to dvd9 but will keep the layer break. But as well do look at their site to give yourself more information before deciding…

Also how old is your computer and what kinda dvd drive do you have? Also if you plan to burn DL media you have to purchase a DL burner drive which nowdays are inexpensive. But make sure your DL drive can booktype from dvd+r to dvd-rom for compatiblility in standalone player. Most DL burner are coming as DVD+R DL burner…but will burn the older formats as well…

Check in the dvddecryptor forum they have a link or someone there should know of the free link to the free version of the dvddecryptor not the purchase version ok…

My computer is a little over 2 years old and the drive says DVD+R/RW. Does this mean it won’t burn a dual layer DVD?

ops think gave you the wrong link here is the correct link to the free dvdfab program I was trying to tell you the right one…

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

[QUOTE=HV77;1931950]My computer is a little over 2 years old and the drive says DVD+R/RW. Does this mean it won’t burn a dual layer DVD?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no… but as mentioned before do you know the exact model and make of your drive? It will be able to read dvd9 which is DL media but won’t burn them unless your drive is a DL burner…
Look in your device manager and tell us what model and make it is…and we probably can tell you if your drive is DVD+R DL burner or not or just a regular DVD burner.

Ok it is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8701

[QUOTE=HV77;1931960]Ok it is a Phillips DVD+RW DVD8701[/QUOTE]

Ok, here the bad news…it will read and play dvd9 media but won’t write the DL media that is dvd9 media…so you will have to spend money to get the dvd+r DL media burner model…so if you can return the verbatim media or keep it til you can purchase a DL burner model…

Click here

Are you sure? Right after I discovered the model number I looked it up and these and a few other sites are saying it will write DVD+R DL media:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P90576/en/specs.htm

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/philips-dvd8701-16x-dvd-142626/

That model does support DL (is it in a dell?)

Awesome, I wasn’t sure if I read the specs right, yes it is in a Dell DIM 9100. Thanks.

[QUOTE=HV77;1931968]Are you sure? Right after I discovered the model number I looked it up and these and a few other sites are saying it will write DVD+R DL media:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P90576/en/specs.htm

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/philips-dvd8701-16x-dvd-142626/[/QUOTE]

Those are two different model but the one you told me you currently have doesn’t write to DL media it can only read dvd9 media. The second link model number doesn’t match your number model you posted. When you purchased that unit did you upgrade the drive? Those link are confusing…but looking at the dell site it says your drive doesn’t write to dvd-r DL media but will write to dvd+R DL media so looks like your good to go from what their specs are saying…so I guess give it a go…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1931975]Those are two different model but the one you told me you currently have doesn’t write to DL media it can only read dvd9 media. The second link model number doesn’t match your number model you posted. When you purchased that unit did you upgrade the drive? Those link are confusing…but looking at the dell site it says your drive doesn’t write…it will only read and play dvd9 media.[/QUOTE]

I do not want to correct you…I own one(8701) it does indeed burn dl in the + disks but not in the - disks. If you look at the pictures in the second link he posted you will see it is indeed a 8701. Having said all that, it is not the best DL burner, even with MIS verbs it sometimes makes a coaster. I have found that Imgburn works the best with this drive. Also look more closely at the first link under write maybe you saw the dvd-dl only played and read.

[QUOTE=tgidday;1931986]I do not want to correct you…I own one(8701) it does indeed burn dl in the + disks but not in the - disks. If you look at the pictures in the second link he posted you will see it is indeed a 8701. Having said all that, it is not the best DL burner, even with MIS verbs it sometimes makes a coaster. I have found that Imgburn works the best with this drive. Also look more closely at the first link under write maybe you saw the dvd-dl only played and read.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you read my reply you might noticed I corrected the previous statement I made…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1932000]Maybe if you read my reply you might noticed I corrected the previous statement I made…[/QUOTE]
If you noticed my post contains your non edited version, had your edit been done before I posted then I would look like an ass.

I read people talking about using several different ones for different steps in the process, does this mean I can’t do everything in just 1 program? If so, what do I need and what are the best? I should note that I am copying a DVD+R DL. Thanks

good luck finding a 1 program…
i’m still stuck with WinAvi and DVDShrink

:D[QUOTE=HV77;1932091]I read people talking about using several different ones for different steps in the process, does this mean I can’t do everything in just 1 program? If so, what do I need and what are the best? I should note that I am copying a DVD+R DL. Thanks[/QUOTE]
To back-up your movies you either need one program that will rip/burn-I use DVD FAB PLATINUM- or you need a ripping program and a burning program. If you want to put most of today’s movies on a single layer disk you will need one that will compress the file so it will fit, again DVD FAB PLATINUM will do all this and more in one program, but after a 30 day free trial you need to buy it. However DVDFAB HD DECRYPTER is free, it will rip it to your hard drive. DVD SHRINK also free will then make it so it will fit on a single layer disk (4.7GB). And finally Imgburn-and yes it is free also- to burn the image on your hard drive to either a SL or DL disk. I hope this helps.