How do I get the best burns with Solidburn

Hello CDFreaks,
I have been a member here for quite sometime but don’t reply much. I usually search and find what I am looking for or, if when I see someone looking for help someone else has beaten me to the punch with my suggestion. You may not hear from often but but I’m here all the time. I guess you could call me a closet CDFreak!
Here is what I need help with. Is it better to learn media with disks that fail at their rated speed with Qscan or to use disks that have optimum results? I can’t seem to locate anything using search.
I have just upgraded from my DW1620 to a DW1650. I have flashed to the retail FW BCHC and have also tried BCDC. Learning to use Solidburn to it’s maximum potential will help me to decide if I will leave this drive in my system or to revert back to the DW1620. The DW1620 that I have has given scans with no less than a Quality score in CD/DVD Speed of 95 no matter what media I give it. The DW1650 has given scan results that have ranged from a 99 to 0 in CD/DVD Speed. The 99 was burnt using BCHC on a Verbatim MCC 004 @ 8x with Solidburn ON, Overspeed ON and WOPC ON. The best I have ever scanned using any media on the DW1620 was a 97 @ 8X. I have found that to get the best results just burn at 8x with DVD+R even if it is rated faster. I prefer quality over speed.

Just a few tips that may help, although I’m already tired, so I may miss something…

As a general rule I leave Solidburn on (all my burns on the 1640), regardless of media, as the Solidburn basically does this (see Zebadee’s post). It will work on the lead-in and lead-out areas to essentially calculate the best jitter possible for that mid, so this is why I like leaving it on. Of course, that’s me…

Remember that the QS in Cd-DVD Speed is calculated by the PIF spike height; 1 PIF will put the score at 99, so long as all other occurrences of PIF are no higher than 3. If the spike reaches 4, that lowers it to a 98; all heights above that -1 off, for each space over 4, but the calculation only accounts for the highest spike, too, not the PIF totals. So, some of that QS scoring is relative. It is better to discover what the “normal” PIF total range is for a certain mid, assuming proper storage.

You only need OS (OverSpeed) on when you will burn a mid faster than its rated speed; if you don’t want to OS, disable it, as I think there was one or two instances where this somehow influenced the burn to be a little worse than normal. Also, you should only do WOPC off IF you have very high quality OEM mids, like from Rima.com (i.e., TY Yuden000t02-00 or tyg02), or the batch you have has been burning with stellarly-low PIE/PIF and you want to take the plunge…

You might consider crossflashing the 1650 to a 1655, as you’ll get the 1655 performance, just no lightscribe. IIRC, you can do this if you can find the thread and/or find Zebadee, as you can crossflash this using BQFlasher (but I don’t have the links handy). Also, I think the current 1655 f/w is the most consistent performer, at least with the scans I saw.

HTH. :bigsmile:

I just added a new DW1655 to my computer. I keep reading about turning SB on/ off. Can someone explain how how do you Check/ toggle the SB between on and off.

Gold, you have to d/l Qsuite 2.1 from the BenQ site and enable/disable SB from there; there will be a Solidburn tab, and the defaults will be “disabled” (supported [media]) and “enabled” (unsupported media types). All you’ll have to do is click within the radial buttons to change them if you wish. :wink: