How do I get rid of plasma screen artifacts?

Hello to everyone! I have read through much of the forum, great group!
Could you help with some info on artifacts?

I have:
Panasonic 50" Plasma, Model: TH-50PX6U, resolution is: 1366x768
DVD player is Toshiba SD-K860.

The BUs have artifacts. I have changed modes on both the player and the plasma screen, but it doesn’t help. Why are there artifacts on this plasma but not on the computer LCD and 36" 4x3 TV?

Thanks,
flyer

[quote=jimflyer;1938157]Hello to everyone! I have read through much of the forum, great group!
Could you help with some info on artifacts?

I have:
Panasonic 50" Plasma, Model: TH-50PX6U, resolution is: 1366x768
DVD player is Toshiba SD-K860.

The BUs have artifacts. I have changed modes on both the player and the plasma screen, but it doesn’t help. Why are there artifacts on this plasma but not on the computer LCD and 36" 4x3 TV?

Thanks,
flyer[/quote]

addendum

Perhaps artifacts is not the correct term. I see a perfect picture on the computer and regular TV.

It’s just the plasma that I get blotchy colors and squares in the faces of close ups.

The burns are good - they play fine everywhere but the plasma.

• flyer

Hi jimflyer
What mode did you use to make the backups, and what was the “Quality %” shown in the lower part of the text window during the Copy (“Task 1”) part of the process? Are you using the same player on the other TV, where they look OK? It may be that the player or TV is trying to upconvert the image to HD with poor results. Try turning this feature off if you can. You should also be using the component video inputs (3 video jacks) if both the player and HDTV have them (or HDMI if both are so equipped).

I also have the same model Plasma that you have.

I get no blotches, pixi;ation, at all.
my dvd player is hooked via component cables.

Now I don’t know if it matters but all my burns over the past couple yrs have been varied.
dvd decrypter, ripit 4me, and dvd fab…
up until recently my compression software was dvd shrink.
I now for the time being am using Fab platinum…

This did matter in my case:

I have been using the NeuNeo/Helios upconvert dvd player[ which is the only upconvert to 1080i/1080p HD player sold that will do it thru component and HDMI due to macrovision protection which knocks the image back to 480p if it detects anything other than HDMI hookup]
all this time which gives me about as close to 1080 HD as you can get without a true HD player.
I do remember when I started backing up movies I didn’t like the output on the Plasma and realized it was due to backup compression…
[the original dvd movies looked stunning].
this is what prompted me to get the upcale to HD dvd player which made my compressed backups look as good as the originals…
If there’s a difference it’s slight because I can’t see it but I definitley see a difference when I used a standard dvd player.
hope this helps…
Tony
btw:
all US sold upscale players will accept component cables but as I said before will knocks your image back to standard dvd resolutions of 480p .
below is link to the ones that don’t.

http://www.helios-labs.com/us/products/hline/index_hline.shtml

Thanks for your reply.

What mode did you use to make the backups, and what was the “Quality %” shown in the lower part of the text window during the Copy (“Task 1”) part of the process?

I used the store bought actual DVD of Pirates of the Caribean (not a BU) to test the plasma. The opening scene of the faces showed blotchy skin tones, like when 8 or 16 bit color is selected on a computer monitor (instead of 32 bit). I didn’t use a backup.

Are you using the same player on the other TV, where they look OK?

That’s a good idea, unfortunately I have only 1 plasma screen. The DVD looks fine on the 22" LCD computer monitor and fine on the 36" CRT “standard” 4:3 TV.

It may be that the player or TV is trying to upconvert the image to HD with poor results. Try turning this feature off if you can.

I didn’t find a menu setting for this on the plasma. I did try turn off the 720p and 1080i setting on the player.

You should also be using the component video inputs (3 video jacks) if both the player and HDTV have them (or HDMI if both are so equipped).

The toshiba is using HDMI cable direct to the plasma. I couldn’t get an RCA jack into one of the component video recepticals.

Perhaps I will take the player to the store and try it on another plasma. Also get another HDMI player to try on my screen here. I can return it if not helping.

How good should a DVD look on a plasma? The plasma shows great detail when watch HD football games, but blotchy when playing a DVD.

thanks,

• flyer

[quote=rago88;1938267]this is what prompted me to get the upcale to HD dvd player which made my compressed backups look as good as the originals…
If there’s a difference it’s slight because I can’t see it but I definitley see a difference when I used a standard dvd player.
hope this helps…

http://www.helios-labs.com/us/products/hline/index_hline.shtml[/quote]

The helios looks interesting. I will go by Best buy to check it out.

thanks,

• flyer

upscaled players that convert to 1080 via component are illegal to sell in US due to macrovision protection.

you have to buy the Neo direct from the overseas factory.

you should not get a blotchy picture on any HD tv when playing an original disk especially a Plasma…
something in your settings is not right.

as mentioned in other post. dvd 480, hd tv 1080. you will need hardware adjustments. for higher quality video compression you can try dvdfab to hard drive then process with dvd rebuilder.

I used the store bought actual DVD of Pirates of the Caribean (not a BU) to test the plasma.
i know just suggesting options for your back-ups.

troy

[quote=rago88;1938534]upscaled players that convert to 1080 via component are illegal to sell in US due to macrovision protection.

you have to buy the Neo direct from the overseas factory.

you should not get a blotchy picture on any HD tv when playing an original disk especially a Plasma…
something in your settings is not right.[/quote]

Thanks rago88, that’s what I was hoping.

I went through the plasma settings again last nite and think the blotchyness is from the picture setting being “vivid”. I changed it to “cinema” and lowered the brightness and sharpness a bit also. The Pirates DVD seems much better.

Is the Pirates of the Carribean a 480? I am unclear on the 480 720, 1080 (i vs p) concepts.

Also what generic settings should I use to create an AVI file to watch BUs on the plasma we both have?

thanks for your help,

• flyer

[quote=troy512;1938589]as mentioned in other post. dvd 480, hd tv 1080. you will need hardware adjustments. for higher quality video compression you can try dvdfab to hard drive then process with dvd rebuilder.

i know just suggesting options for your back-ups.

troy[/quote]

Thanks Troy,

I am using dvdfab plat to the drive, as you suggest.

I did a quick Google on dvd rebuilder, what’s it’s advantage over using dvdfab plat?

thanks for your help,

• flyer

[I]Is the Pirates of the Carribean a 480? I am unclear on the 480 720, 1080 (i vs p) concepts.

Also what generic settings should I use to create an AVI file to watch BUs on the plasma we both have?[/I]

All dvd’s played on a standard player are 480p unless you have a HD or bluray player…

I;m not sure if you can play avi on tv…
I always convert home movie or any avi to mpeg2 in order to play on my plasma or any tv…

I keep my plasma on standard setting.
cinema is a bit too dark…
Vivid can get like cartoons on acid…!!!

[QUOTE=jimflyer;1938741]I did a quick Google on dvd rebuilder, what’s it’s advantage over using dvdfab plat?[/QUOTE]

i myself have only played around with dvd rebuilder, for my backup needs dvdfab is the only program i need. you can find a lot of stuff about dvd rebuilder at Videohelp.com, Doom9.com and DVD-RB.com. there is a thread here at cdfreaks where this has been discussed. best dvd backup program.

troy