How do I get connected to the Internet the easiest?

vbimport

This is probably a lame question, but I’d like to hear from you guys on this.

Here’s my question. I have another computer that I just fixed for my father-in-law to use for his first time and I’d like to be able to take the computer to his house, hook it up to his phone line, and get on the internet via dial-up modem.

How can I do that without having a disk like “peoplepc” or “earthlink” or whatever? I do not want AOL…that’s a definite.

I’ve probably already answered my own question, but thought I’d see what you guys have to say about a very inexpensive dial-up internet connection. He’s not going to be using it that much…so he needs to keep the cost down.

Is there a way to connect to the internet without using a disk provided by an ISP? For instance, can I download an ISP’s disk and use it to set up my father-in-laws computer?

Are their any “free for the first 3 months” ISP’s left out there? If you know of any, or can direct me to a site where I can download a disk on my computer for use on his, I’d appreciate hearing from you. I live in the northeast…if that helps.

Thanks for the input.

What disk ?? why do you need a disk ??? If you want to connect using dial-up all you need to do is plug your modem in and set up your internet connection. and thats it your online. :slight_smile:

Dont forget to sign up first :wink:
You miight want to have a look around whats available though, here in Sweden you can get a 0.25 mbit connection for ~ 13 bucks / month.
//Danne

northeast where ?

Yes it helps getting on the Net :slight_smile:

It depens on availability and how much you are going to use it.
The cheapest way to do it would be hijacking someone else’s internet connection. Does he have a neighbour with a nice DSL line? Ask if he can connect to it. Someone have WiFi in the area? Ask if he can connect to it.

Other than that it entirely depends on the data speed and sort of connection. I would still recommend DSL because it’s fast and quite reliable. Perhaps you can get a very cheapy 512kbit dsl subscription?

Good thought Mr. Bel…but DSL is not available in his area yet…high speed cable internet is available but he won’t pay that price.

I have Verizon’s DSL and love it…especially at $15/mo…for 12 months.

Guess he’ll have to go with cable (hopefully at an introductory price) or dial-up (which I don’t believe I could take after using 3Mbs and 768kbs).

So, cheap low speed cable or PeoplePC…