How do I find out what motherboard I've got?

I know this is probably a stupid question but I can’t find the box and I don’t know where it would be listed in Windows.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Originally posted by Chriso
[B]I know this is probably a stupid question but I can’t find the box and I don’t know where it would be listed in Windows.

Thanks in advance

Chris [/B]

You most probably need to open up your case and look into it :wink: I’m just trying to think if any software like sandra is able to tell (can’t really remember…) but proggie like wcpuid can provide you with a wealth of mobo info, like chipset type, cache, etc. What are you trying to do anyway?

I’m thinking of getting a new graphics card and I want to know what speed of AGP my MOBO will take.

Also, any reccomendations for grapgics cards? (Currently using a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI).

[B]I’m thinking of getting a new graphics card and I want to know what speed of AGP my MOBO will take.

Also, any reccomendations for grapgics cards? (Currently using a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI). [/B]

AGP speed is not the essential factor - you just have to make sure the version corresponds/compatible with the video card you’re buying. Also the size of the video cards. Some people have problem fitting a full size ti4800 on to their mobo.

WCPUID is able to specify AGP version, Data rate and other important info, which will help you to determine the compatibility of your mobo and video card.

As for a graphic card, depends what you’re going to use it for. Can’t make any recommendation if I dunno what you’re going to use it for.

I’ll mainly be using it for games.

I’ll mainly be using it for games.

Gee - you’re quick. Anyway, if your budget permits then there’s nothing else perform better than 9700pro atm. ti4800se is not a bad performer too considering its lower price. Best bang for the buck would be non-pro version of 9700.

I’m only 13 and can’t really afford to spend £200+ on a grapgics card. £100-£150 might be OK. Is the ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB DDR AGP any good at £150 or is it worth saving up longer for the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR AGP at £250?

A 9500 Pro is nice (I have one and I love it) so if you can’t wait buy that one. As with all things, the R9700 will fall in price (as 9800 is coming in stock it’ll fall more) but then it won’t be the ultimate card as it is today.

You can’t have it all :slight_smile:

So is the 9700 Pro worth the extra £100?

Aida32

If you got Windows XP, you can enter “systeminfo” in a DOS box.

Otherwhise, there is a “systeminfo”-tool under Accessoires -> Utilities (Tools?)

Aida 32 and Sisoft Sandra give more information, but is is quicker and doesn’t require any downloads (good if you are at 56k ;))

Sorry I don’t know the exact names, I’m at work where I’ve got a Dutch WinXP :frowning: so I had to translate those names…

Thanks I’ll check now.

BTW I’m on a cable modem.:bigsmile:

deleted

Might I inquire why you think the OP still has the same MoBo EIGHT YEARS & FIVE MONTHS later?

The OP this topic was about AGP graphics cards and I’m pretty sure that they don’t even make them anymore…
(Nor have they for five plus years)

AD

Nice!
Really I overlooked the time!
Anyway, I think discussion forum help personnel to get solution thru goggling/searching a distinct KEYWORD most of the time. So I posted the solution to a right place for the reference of other person though the ask-er person had ended the demand long before.

However, You have the right to delete/add the content. Do whatever u like…
I have no headache.