How do I find out about my DVD media?

vbimport

Hi, I’ve had a really bad run with printable Bulkpaq 8x DVD-R’s and printable Datasafe 4x DVD-Rs with my Lite On SOHW-812S US0Q drive. Tested a dozen so far, 100% failure rate. My drive works fine with other better quality media.

I used Nero’s info tool to get more info about the disc, but everything is blank. The only thing I get is that the disc’s space is 4.38GB.

I am curious to find out what dye is used and who the manufacturer is.

Thanks.

Edit:
OMG, sorry guys I noticed a DVD identifying subforum only now :o

Anyway, I tested the DVDs and it seems the maker is the dreaded CMC Magnetics with the AE1 dye.

However, Nero’s error log (not the info tool) reports it to be a Prodisc disc. Is this what is causing my errors?

00:30:53 #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 1949
Recorder: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S, Media type: DVD-R
Disc Manufacturer: Prodis - cS03
Disc Application Code: 64, Disc Physical Code: 193

Prodisc S03s are standard 4X media but a lot of them were occasionally sold as Prodisc and wound up with CMC media as well as MCC. At one time there were 4-5 different media codes you might get and you never would know for sure. The S03 are pretty good and the CMC are not the worst. Make sure you have your firmware current to US0Q. It looks like you might have received one of those stacks where the media changed in mid-stack.

Hi chas. Actually, the conflicting test results are for the same disc. That’s what I don’t get at all.

I am not sure what program you are using but try CDSpeed.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/