How do I determine the exact maximum capacity of my DVD-Rs in bytes

vbimport

How do I determine the exact maximum capacity of my DVD-Rs in bytes

In a way, there isn’t a useful answer. That’s because the Burning Software will determine what IT can use. I can add and substract so correctly, but if the Burning Software disagrees by any tiny percentage - IT WINS. So MY determinations aren’t too valuable.

When I do mass backups, I really DO like to ‘calculate’ how much I can put on each disk, but after a while, I’m dragging files onto the “Target Disk” and watching its Capacity Bar get filled. When it’s over the limit, then I chop some files out. My calcs, my prayers, rants, etc, just won’t change that software’s mind. It acts like it just doesn’t care what MY calcuations are! Drat.

e.g. right-click the DVD drive in explorer, Properties, General tab.
There you can read the ‘Free space’ in bytes.

ImgBurn displays it too. Of course, a solid program like IMgBurn has an easily accessible feature that provides detailed information about your disc and drive. This is the “Discovery” feature, listed on the main menu. The size displayed in ImgBurn is identical to one displayed in Windows’ properties.

[QUOTE=Blu Ray;2695781]How do I determine the exact maximum capacity of my DVD-Rs in bytes[/QUOTE]

…by choosing an filesystem and prefs first, THEN any tool can calculate the space left for DATA.