How do I 'delete' a DVD-R, so that I can add other Video_TS to it?

vbimport

Can I “delete” or “erase” a half filled DVD-R, in order to add another movie in DVD Video format?

I vaguely remember that erasing was possible, but of course it was NOT really erased, it was simply made unreadable, but the remaining, empty part was still available for writing.

I have already added the movie in Avi format, so i know there’s some sort of multi-session possible when I write in ISO format, but it won’t show up in my stand-alone DVD player, it just plays/shows the old bad version in DVD format.

The situation:
I have this DVD in DVD-Video format (with the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders), which contains one bad quality copy of my birthday party’s home video, the audio is out-of-sync. I now have made a new version of this, audio is now in-sync!

So, I don’t care anymore what is on the DVD-R now, I just wanna either add my new movie to it, or replace the old with the new one.
I guess I theoretically have those 2 options:

1. “erase” the DVD-R, that is, make what’s already on it, unreadable, which would leave me with a DVD-R with about half the capacity.
  2. “Add” the new files to it, which would give me a DVD-R with two movies on it, the old one and the new one.

I don’t care either way, I just wanna know if its possible, and what tools I should use.

And yes, I’m aware that I could buy a new disc, but for various reasons (lack of time, we’re effing snowed in), just going to the store is not really possible …

Have you closed the multisession disc prior to playing it on other players
ie if you add to a multisession disc it has to be closed before it might work on a standalone player

In short no you can’t erase a dvd-r the only one that you can erase is a dvd-rw

Yes, I KNOW that deleting a dvd-R or CD-R is not possible! So my actual question is:

How do I make the first session invisible on a DVD-R? So that my stand-alone DVD player ONLY sees the 2nd session? (like it does on a pc) To be sure, I’m talking about a DVD-R which is not finalized and half full.

In effect, the result should be that the stand-alone DVD player thinks the second session is the first one.
i guess what i’m asking is how to change the TOC or the FAT (or whatever it’s called) of the DVD-R?

I know it IS possible coz whenever I used to add stuff to a non-finalized disc (CD-R’s and DVD-R’s) with some free space on it, it didn’t see the first session anymore, just the second one. I just don’t know how to do that anymore.

[QUOTE=KneeGrow;2479499]Can I “delete” or “erase” a half filled DVD-R, in order to add another movie in DVD Video format? …
I could buy a new disc, but for various reasons (lack of time, we’re effing snowed in), just going to the store is not really possible … [/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Myce Club…formerly known as the CD Freaks
A true freak would never get in this situation…most of us have enough quality discs to get through a nuclear winter :wink:

I don´t think you can get this idea to work…but maybe someone else has a bright idea. I´d get the snow shovel out if I were you… :doh:

Can I “delete” or “erase” a half filled DVD-R, in order to add another movie in DVD Video format? This is what I was answering

Can I “delete” or “erase” a half filled DVD-R, in order to add another movie in DVD Video format?

NO!..same answer you got in the other forum, NOooooo, can’t be done!..Next time (if you happen to find yourself in the same predicament), get some RWs…Time to start shoveling some snow!..Good luck! really!!!:slight_smile: