How do I crossflash a Lite-On iHas 124B to iHas 624B

vbimport

I tried crossflashing the iHas 124 B to ATAPI.iHAS624_B.GL27.stock from code kings page. The result was, my drive had a constant green flashing light and i had to flash back to 124 B. Drive is working again. What firmware do I need to crossflash to iHas 624B successfully? I am also aware, I will not be getting lightscribe, due to the module not being built into the iHas 124 B.

Flash the ATAPI.iHAS624_B.GL27.stock again, and after that use the Convert Drive feature in the EEPROM Utility to fix the LED blinking issue. After that you can upgrade your drive to GL29 using the official LiteOn flasher.

Still blinking do I have to physically unplug the sata power cable then plug it back in after flashing?

Yo have to power off the dirve turn the pc off and then turn it on

Yea I got it sorted. Didn’t know how to edit my post earlier and didn’t want to double post. Converting the drive is what I didn’t do right the first time, before asking for help.Thank you both.

I’m trying to do something very similar. Trying to flash an iHAS324B to a 524B (since they both don’t have lightscribe) and an ASUS DRW-24B1ST to an iHAS524B. The new eeprom 6.0.1 utility says I can’t upgrade the 324b, and when I try to convert the drive to the 524 it just dumps the FW. I haven’t got a chance to try the ASUS yet. I’m stuck at work for a while so I won’t be able to post anything new for at least a few hours.

3 FILES NEEDED:

1. Flash Utility for LiteOn Based Optical Drives (Version 6.0.1 as of the time of this tutorial, just use latest version)
  2. EEPROM Utility for LiteOn/Sony/BenQ Drives (Version 6.2.0 as of this time, just get the latest version)
  3. firmware.exe (the firmware of your choice that you wish to flash/crossflash)

all files can be found here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

CROSSFLASHING

1. Launch the latest EEPROM utility and backup the EEPROM.
  2. Launch the latest Firmware utility and backup the Firmware.

Steps 1 & 2 are to make sure you have a copy of your original incase you wish to send back for warranty

1. Flash the drive using the Firmware utility by using the <firmware>.exe you wish to flash. LEAVE ALL SETTINGS AT DEFAULT, DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING, just load firware and flash the drive (that simple) Wait for flashing to be SUCCESSFUL
  2. Now shut down your computer, unplug the power cable to your PC, COUNT TO 15 SECONDS, plug in power to PC and start back up your PC. This procedure is call power cycling the drive. (The Green activity LED on drive will flash constantly)
  3. Run the EEPROM Utility and choose the Convert option. This finish the cross flashing process.
  4. After you are done converting, you must power cycle the drive again by shutting down PC and unplugging for 15 secs.
  5. Turn back on PC, The drive will now be recognized as an iHASx24-xx model (the firmware u chose) and the process is now complete.

(NOTE to those having problems crossflashig: some people say to disable AHCI Mode and enable IDE Mode in the BIOS to crossflash, not necessary but reccomended)

credits: Spark and other myce members for the instructions, c0deguys,c0deking for the firmware mods
i take no credit for this tutorial…just trying to be helpful

keywords: ihas124b ihas224b ihas324b ihas424b ihas524b ihas624b

[QUOTE=arsa13;2608567]I’m trying to do something very similar. Trying to flash an iHAS324B to a 524B (since they both don’t have lightscribe) and an ASUS DRW-24B1ST to an iHAS524B. The new eeprom 6.0.1 utility says I can’t upgrade the 324b, and when I try to convert the drive to the 524 it just dumps the FW. I haven’t got a chance to try the ASUS yet. I’m stuck at work for a while so I won’t be able to post anything new for at least a few hours.[/QUOTE]

Be careful with the DRW-24B1ST. Those should normally be iHASx24 A drives but confusingly enough some of them could be iHASx24 B drives (typically these come with firmware 1.04 on board).

Do not try to crossflash an A drive into a B drive or vice-versa, because that is not possible (different hardware) and you’ll most likely end up killing your drive. Therefore make sure your DRW-24B1ST is indeed a B drive before trying to crossflash it to iHAS524 B.

cvs-
Thanks for the heads up… Even though my ASUS drive had an ‘a’ in the model number on the drive (DRW-24B1ST a/BLK/B/AS) the drive had FW 1.04 and looked exactly like an iHAS 324B I’d purchased at the same time. Also once flashed and converted (following XeoNoX’s directions) the ASUS seems to function properly as a 524B AL2A drive.

XeoNoX-
THANK YOU! Your instructions were exactly what I needed. The only thing I’d add is to be a bit more specific about what FW .exe to use to flash the drives initially. For the ASUS I needed to use the Flash utility to flash an unlocked stock iHAS 524B .exe from C0deKing’s site. For the 324B I was simply able to use the .exe from the unlocked stock iHAS 524B on C0deKing’s site and not go through the Flash Utility.

Also, once the drive was converted over, I updated them to the newest iHAS 524 FW (AL2A), restarted and enabled all the options with the settings utility as well as changing bitsetting and region codes. Finally I tested each drive with a few burned discs to make sure they did indeed function properly.

Thanks again for all the help!